View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Info on cleaning hull after boat sat in water for over a week
wspmatt
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/16 - 3:23 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

MY 1989 OUTRAGE 20' SAT IN THE BOAT SLIP FOR OVER A WEEK AND DIDN'T MOVE FOR ABOUT 6 DAYS

THERE IS A GRIMMEY FILTH ON THE BOTTOM AND UP TO THE WATER LINE WHERE IT SAT IN THE WATER

I HAVE PRESSURE WASHED AND SCRUBBED AND SCRUBBED AND THIS STUFF DOES NOT WANT TO COME OFF

ANY TRICKS OR IDEAS TO GET IT OFF

****I DID JUST HAVE THE GEL COAT RESTORED ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO...I WAS ABLE TO WASH THE INSIDE OF THE BOAT JUST FINE...ITS ONLY WHERE THE BOAT WAS SITTING IN THE WATER

THANKS IN ADVANCE

(changed abbreviated year to full 4 digit year per guideline #1 at the top of this page)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 09/14/16 - 11:19 AM
1989 20' Outrage with 1989 2 Stroke Yamaha 175

tedious
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/16 - 5:53 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Try a full strength household cleaner such as Formula 409 or Simple Green. Spray on, scrub, rinse.

rockinhitz34
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/16 - 5:57 AM
Personal Page

Apparently there are various tricks to clean up that mess. Toilet bowl cleaner is the choice of many, and you probably have some handy at home, you can try a small area and see how that goes.

From a chemistry standpoint there are two trains of thought: 1. Bleach 2. Acid (oxalic, hydrochloric, sulfuric)

There is a great cleaner I have used in the bilge and splash well of my dirty 13' that does the trick in seconds. Its called Marykate's On and Off Hull and Bottom Cleaner. Works really well.

The caveat is you have to protect all metal (mainly the trailer) because the acid in this stuff will eat through the metal. It also stinks so I recommend using it outside in a well ventilated area and protecting yourself with gloves, respirator, long sleeves/pants etc to make sure this stuff doesnt get on your skin/lungs/eyes etc. Probably overkill but better safe than sorry. I think this stuff retails for like $18 on amazon.

Good luck!

Mike

jgortva
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/16 - 6:00 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

There is only one thing that will affectively take it off. Muriatic acid which can be bought at Ace Hardware and probably many other big box stores is what works. It is an acid that eats the growth away without damaging the gel coat. You must take care because it can fade or even discolor a metal or aluminum trailer and will etch concrete, but it will not harm any plastic, fiberglass or blacktop. Put some in a bug sprayer or spray bottle, wear gloves and work only outside. Cover the trailer with those cheap plastic drop cloths from the hardware store and keep rinsing them as you are letting the acid soak the hull. Soak the hull for 30-40 minutes and you can even use a boat brush or scrub brush to help the process just make sure not to get any on you. It is a form of "watered down" battery acid and will give a slightly burning sensation to the skin. Water rinses it off and stops the burning and water stops the acid from eating the algae as well. That is why you need to start with a dry hull, apply the acid and rinse the hull only when done. I have done this for many years and it took me a few years to get the hang of it because I always rinsed the acid prematurely being afraid of damaging the hull. Do not worry and leave it on for at least a half hour depending on how clean the hull looks. I haven't checked but I am sure there is something on you tube that you could watch.

Jim G.

wspmatt
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/16 - 6:05 AM
Personal Page

thanks for the info guys!!

1989 20' Outrage with 1989 2 Stroke Yamaha 175

ggalluppi
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/16 - 7:42 AM

FSR Fence and Deck Cleaner from Home Depot. Put it in a garden pump sprayer and spray it on, go grab a beer, come back in a few and hose it off. It's about $10 a gallon.

Tom Glynn
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/16 - 8:12 AM

Try Y-10 Jelly by Miller Marine MFG>

masbama
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/16 - 9:16 AM

Iron Out

Acseatsri
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/16 - 9:21 AM

Use Lysol toilet bowl cleaner for lime and rust stains (in the black bottle). Just did the waterline on my boat with it, better than Mary-Kate On-Off in that it doesn't remove bottom paint but does get it spotless. A $2 bottle did the waterline on my 23 footer.

KQMichigan
#10 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/16 - 8:34 PM

This is so funny. Same thing happened to us and we used everything, even just about every one of the previous suggestions, to no avail. Until we were told about Starbrite Instant Hull Cleaner. Put it in a spray bottle, spray the area a few squirts and watch it disappear. Rinse with water. Sold at most marine supplies. I got mine on Amazon.

tedious
#11 Print Post
Posted on 09/15/16 - 5:25 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

The Starbrite Instant Hull Cleaner appears to be the same stuff as the MaryKate On-and-off, which we have used to clean waterline scum after a season in the water. It is very effective, but really nasty stuff - don't get it on you! It also quickly removes the galvanizing from your trailer - I mean like in a few seconds it takes you down to bare metal. Use with caution! We use a throwaway paint brush to dab on where it's needed, and have a second person standing by with a hose to take care of any drips on the trailer.

Tim

jgortva
#12 Print Post
Posted on 09/15/16 - 5:46 AM
Personal Page

As I should of stated in my original post, a form of muriatic or oxalic acid is the active ingredient in both On and Off and Starbrite's instant hull cleaner. The difference is that a small bottle of On and Off is something like 2-3 times as much as a gallon of muriatic acid is at the hardware store which is around $8.00 if I remember right. A gallon has lasted me for 2 seasons so far and I believe I will get this season out of the remaining acid.

Jim G.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 7:32 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 19
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.24 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,084,169 unique visits