View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Considering a Montauk 17 for our family.
JRP
#21 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/16 - 1:06 PM

Comments: 2

9R wrote:
Thank you Dennis.

If you guys had a choice between a '90s Evinrude 90hp 2-stroke V-4 or a '00s Merc 90hp saltwater 2-stroke with the same number of hours, and your weren't biased on brand, would you have a preference?

Neither of those engines has a great deal of book value. If they both operate well and otherwise check-out, I would choose the one that is attached to the nicest hull.

Jay Fitz
#22 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/16 - 1:48 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

jcdawg83 wrote:
I have a classic Montauk and, to be honest, I think it is way too small for a family of 5 regardless of the kid's ages. A Montauk is a great 2 man fishing boat and is OK for two couples to ride in. The lack of storage space means towels, floats, tubes, life jackets, etc all have to be stored either under the console or in the bow anchor locker or left out on deck. Montauks are open skiffs, they are not family runabouts or ski boats. The pilot seat will hold 2 people in relative comfort and the cooler in front of the console will seat 2 more in tight quarters.

For a family of 5, I would look more to a Dauntless in the 20' range.

I don't agree. I have a 1978 Montauk and a family of four (boys 13 and 8). I have found a lot of the time that I flip the RPS to me and use it as a leaning post, freeing up the other side for two people to sit. I also have a bow cushion so if cruising at any speed that is not too fast, a few folks can sit there as well. The whole stern can hold chairs strapped to the rails with bungees, toys, etc. I find that we fit just fine. And really love the ease of use along with the openness. Just a great versatile boat.

Oh, and Iv'e been looking at Revenges for a few years now as my wife wants a potty, but I just have not been able to pull the trigger! Love my Montauk!

gchuba
#23 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/16 - 4:17 PM

Jay,
Looks like a nice one came up for sale on the website. $70,000. You may be able to negotiate the price down a hair. Just kidding but........those early Revenges 22' are nice rides with a lot of comfort. I am more surprised that most of the 25' Revenge's of the same era have similar deck spaces with and extended cabin. Get one and you won't look back.

Getting back to the Montauk. I have several friends that have them primarily for fishing. I am asked to bring minimum tackle with three on board because of storage. Land a fish and weight shifting balancing act. An ideal 2 man fishing boat. You would be able to get 5 people on but no free space or movement and pretty cramped. One fine all around hull.
Garris

9R
#24 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/16 - 6:44 PM

- Didn't say we fish.

- Thank you Jay, that helps.

We're explorers of various surrounding bodies of water. We cruise slowly in relatively calm conditions typically in shallow waters and enjoy the environment. May have considered a very small pontoon if they weren't clumsy to tow. We don't bring along chairs, umbrellas, kayaks, paddle boards, canopies, kitchen sinks, spare car tires, anvils, explosives, hair dryers, makeup kits or full size refrigerators. Kids like wearing their comfortable neoprene life jackets and an adequately sized cooler is already available as the front seat. My emergency kit and tools are tightly and nicely kept in a sealed ammo box that can be stored away conveniently under the stern bench seat along with our two life jackets for easy grab if need be. Maybe some day we'll have to bring a wakeboard and rope, but that shouldn't be a problem behind the stern bench seat. As I agreed with most after viewing one, it's tight by today's Expedition XL SUV culture but should be fine for us.

Edited by 9R on 09/14/16 - 5:44 AM

tbranton
#25 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/16 - 8:31 AM

Our family purchased a 1988 Montauk 17 perhaps a year ago and its been the perfect family boat. Aside from the ability to tow it with a Subaru its light enough to make launching and recovering a very easy process.

Not mentioned before is the fact that due to its light weight it handles like a sports car. We previously had a larger pontoon boat and I wanted to call the Tugs in whenever I docked the monster. I never really got good at it and folks on the dock would run when they saw me coming in.

I think you would be very pleased with the classic 17. I would rather take that approach and perhaps trade up later than take a chance on getting something that is not fun due to its larger size. Enjoy.

Tom

9R
#26 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/16 - 10:30 AM

That is really good to hear, thanks Tom. We're pumped

Jay Fitz
#27 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/16 - 1:29 PM
Personal Page

gchuba wrote:
Jay,
Looks like a nice one came up for sale on the website. $70,000. You may be able to negotiate the price down a hair. Just kidding but........those early Revenges 22' are nice rides with a lot of comfort. I am more surprised that most of the 25' Revenge's of the same era have similar deck spaces with and extended cabin. Get one and you won't look back.

Getting back to the Montauk. I have several friends that have them primarily for fishing. I am asked to bring minimum tackle with three on board because of storage. Land a fish and weight shifting balancing act. An ideal 2 man fishing boat. You would be able to get 5 people on but no free space or movement and pretty cramped. One fine all around hull.
Garris

Yes Garris I saw that Revenge as soon as it popped up on Boston CL also...a bit pricey me thinks! I am very curious as to what the final sale price will be though as that could really affect the used BW market...if it does ever actually sell.

EJO
#28 Print Post
Posted on 09/16/16 - 12:05 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

9R wrote:
- Didn't say we fish.

We're explorers of various surrounding bodies of water. We cruise slowly in relatively calm conditions typically in shallow waters and enjoy the environment. May have considered a very small pontoon if they weren't clumsy to tow. We don't bring along chairs, umbrellas, kayaks, paddle boards, canopies, kitchen sinks, spare car tires, anvils, explosives, hair dryers, makeup kits or full size refrigerators. Kids like wearing their comfortable neoprene life jackets and an adequately sized cooler is already available as the front seat. My emergency kit and tools are tightly and nicely kept in a sealed ammo box that can be stored away conveniently under the stern bench seat along with our two life jackets for easy grab if need be. Maybe some day we'll have to bring a wakeboard and rope, but that shouldn't be a problem behind the stern bench seat. As I agreed with most after viewing one, it's tight by today's Expedition XL SUV culture but should be fine for us.

Your whole posting was Well said not everybody fishes with a lot of people on board. You'll be happy with the Classic 17 for your needs for a long time to come. Happier with a 170 but get the 17 and all 5 of you will have lots of fun.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

9R
#29 Print Post
Posted on 09/22/16 - 6:44 PM

Well, we were set to pull the trigger when one of the classic Montauks got away. The seller of the other seems flaky and is very slow to respond. Have reviewed a Dauntless 160 in great shape and price with a 115hp 4 stroke but I worry about the weight when towing since its about 600 lbs more plus additional fuel. Read that it likes to ride with the bow higher which I dislike. Seller put a hydrofoil on it which looks like many do.

Yes, it's about 7" shorter but is a foot wider. Also has two built in aft seats in lieu of a removable bench. If you had a choice between the two, which would you go for?

Edited by 9R on 09/22/16 - 6:48 PM

JRP
#30 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/16 - 3:37 AM

Tht's too bad about the Montauks. Like a lot of others on this board, I lean toward the older classic-looking designs by Dougherty, so the Montauk gets my first vote.

But those small Dauntless models have a reputation for being capable boats, considering their size. I can't remember if the Dauntless 16 has a built-in tank or portable tanks? If built-in, then along with the extra beam it would probably give you every bit as much space as a Montauk 17.

Also, I will again suggest you remain open to the possibility of an Outrage 18/19. These will give you a lot more capability/space, and should still be within the towing limits of your vehicle.

9R
#31 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/16 - 6:01 AM

JRP wrote:
But those small Dauntless models have a reputation for being capable boats, considering their size. I can't remember if the Dauntless 16 has a built-in tank or portable tanks? If built-in, then along with the extra beam it would probably give you every bit as much space as a Montauk 17.

Also, I will again suggest you remain open to the possibility of an Outrage 18/19. These will give you a lot more capability/space, and should still be within the towing limits of your vehicle.

They have something like a 56 ga built in tank. Way more than I would need but still probably nice to have. If this last classic montauk doesn't come about, I'll consider the Dauntless or maybe a Montauk 170 if it comes about. The Dauntless has two aft seats which could be beneficial for two of our kids who like to ride in the back but I don't think the 170 has them. Not sure if something could be added though.

I agree that the Outrage 18 would be nicer and more comfortable but they are even more rare. Your correct but even though the weight would be in our towing limit, it puts it near the max which I'm not fond of for our 2-3 hour trips.

Thanks for your input!

Edited by 9R on 09/23/16 - 6:04 AM

tedious
#32 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/16 - 6:33 AM
Personal Page

9R wrote:
... aft seats which could be beneficial for two of our kids who like to ride in the back but I don't think the 170 has them. Not sure if something could be added though.

Just FYI, from looking at the Whaler website, the Montauk 170 has options to add either two stern seats, or a single aft bench seat.

9R
#33 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/16 - 6:48 AM

tedious wrote:

Just FYI, from looking at the Whaler website, the Montauk 170 has options to add either two stern seats, or a single aft bench seat.

That's some good info. Did not know that. I've tried studying the pics, layout and description and may just have to call them but, would you know or assume that the connection points or plates are already set in the hull or would I have to do it? Not afraid to do it but it would be nice if they were already there.

Knowing that makes me lean towards the Montauk 170 that much more.

tedious
#34 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/16 - 11:16 AM
Personal Page

Good question - I don't know whether they have the mount points molded in, so you can add the seats afterwards, or if those only come at ordering time. I would hope the former. The bench seat seems like it would take up too much room, but the side seats are nice - a friend has them on her boat and really likes them.

Tim

Edited by tedious on 09/23/16 - 11:16 AM

Phil T
#35 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/16 - 12:34 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

The 1st generation Montauk 170 has moulded seat area and an option for a cushion. A setback option was a later option too. You can equip a pre-owned model with aftermarket (close to OEM) seat cushions for ~250.

The 2nd and current generation has a separate seat bottom and back attached as an $1,526 option.

The full stern seat is only available via factory since it deletes the bait well. It is $2,526.

9R
#36 Print Post
Posted on 09/26/16 - 11:49 AM

Is a 2006 a 2nd generation? Found a listing for one that notes transom seats. Interested in it but the seller never responds. Assuming his email only contact from Craigslist is going to spam.

Phil T
#37 Print Post
Posted on 09/26/16 - 12:14 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

I think the significant change that made it 2nd generation is the taller console and moulded bait well option that came out in the 2008 model year.

2002 till approximately 2007 is 1st generation
2008 to present is the 2nd generation.

9R
#38 Print Post
Posted on 09/28/16 - 2:27 PM

Man, what is with Boston Whaler sellers???? Never had so much trouble buying anything before. I've reached out to about 7 so far and boy are they flaky. I'll pay full price but I can't even get them to respond! One promises to show it but keeps getting extended out of country. One took a week to respond to a text saying he'd send pics but I haven't heard from him again and another responded to my initial email 7 days later saying he was trying to attach photos and I'm afraid he'll just disappear. I just don't get it. Wanna sell or not!?

Phil T
#39 Print Post
Posted on 09/28/16 - 7:35 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

9R - In my experience the Boston Whaler sales process is OLD SCHOOL.

No calls/texts/emails.
No invoice/dealer cost information available.
Limited models available at dealers.
Sea trials with deposits

You got to go in and talk to them.

9R
#40 Print Post
Posted on 09/28/16 - 8:04 PM

Talking about used ones off of craigslist and boat trader.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 7:16 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.25 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,068,518 unique visits