View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1990 19' Outrage
sham
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/04/05 - 10:58 AM

Comments: 0

I saw an ad for a 1990 19' Outrage, which I understand was a transition year and it is basically the 18 footer, and I am going to look at it next week. I read on another forum where water retention between the foam and fuel tank was a problem on this particular model and a few others, and that the scupper valve that is supposed to drain this area also allowed water to seep in, causing corrosion problems, especially in a salt water environment. Since they showed this problem with the deck cover over the fuel tank removed, something I'm sure I can't see when I inspect it, is there any other way to determine if this is a problem with the boat I'm going to look at?

Are there any other telltale signs of problems I should look for, other than obvious cracks and soft spots in the deck? What about the transom, are they pretty solid or should I look for something in that area in particular?

It is offered with a 1993 Johnson Ocean Pro that was "recently rebuilt" and a galvanized trailer. Located in Mobile AL so it has probably seen it's fair share of salt water use. Priced at $9,500. Link to ad is here: [color=brown]Removed Dead Link[/color]

Thanks for any and all replies. This will be my first Whaler! Lost my last boat, a 23' Hydra~Sports WAC to Hurricane Katrina.

Sham

Edited by Joe Kriz on 05/17/07 - 4:00 PM

Jeff
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/05/05 - 6:23 AM

Comments: 34

Well one of the sure signs of a rotten floor and water trapped in the foam would be fogging on the clear fuel gauge plate (see image this was taken from an 18 with a bad floor). It needs to be warm 70+ for this to show up. Outside of this happening there is now real way for you to tell if there is water in the foam around the tank. In the 18's however, there is not much room at all for the water to get trapped in the foam. The tank is nearly the same size as the cavity itself. The 22's are a different story if you have a 77 gallon tank like I do. This is because they offered up to a 144 gallon tank in the 22 so they had to make the cavity large enough for that size tank then when a 77 gallon was put it it left alot foam around the tank.

As for the floor. You should remove your shoes and walk barefoot or with socks on. Walk along the seem where the fuel tank cover and deck meet up. Keep half of our foot on the fuel tank cover and half on the deck. If there is some flex move towards the middle of the boat from that spot and just jump up and down. See if the flexing continues. If so the entire floor is probally no good.

Here is an article on my repair to my 22 outrage
http://whalercentral.com/readarticle....ticle_id=8

Edited by Joe Kriz on 05/17/07 - 4:01 PM
1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

sham
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/05/05 - 9:40 AM

Comments: 0

Thanks for the reply, Jeff, but found out this morning that the boat was sold last week. Oh well, guess I'll keep looking.

Sham

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/05/05 - 10:03 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Sham,

I little advice on purchasing an Outrage 18. "Don't Hesitate" or it will be gone.
Many people are looking for this model including myself. If you find one, don't tell anyone until you have the title in your hands.

Many times I have been the second caller on the boat add and the first person bought it.
They go quick. I have money in my checking account and my travel bags are always ready.
Good Outrage 18's to 25's are hard to come by.

Good Luck in your search.

69bbqs
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/29/06 - 9:06 AM

Comments: 1

Your not kiding I bought a 1979 22' Outrage and was offered twice as much the next day and I was the first person. No I took me 3 years to find mine. Will post pic after done.

MW
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/06 - 2:32 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

Hi,

Joe's right ! When it comes to buying a used Whaler in good condition there are two kinds of people "The quick, and the dead". Ask any Whaler owner here how many times they've been asked if the boats for sale. It's not one of those "Maybe I'll think about it" purchases, It's more like this -> "OK, DEAL ! Here's the "Cabbage", where's my Whaler" ? Where do I sign ? Pay no attention to the screaming woman in the car, thats my wife". you buy the boat, park it in the driveway, continue the battle with the wife, you wake up the next day, she's mad, but who cares, the Whaler's in the driveway, yell all you want, I GOT THE TOY" open a Beer and celibrate, make sure that you do this at 8AM on Sat. for added "Mass and Impact". Call all your friends over to look at the boat, tell 'em to bring more Beer, and that we'll be doing lots of fishing all summer, so tell everyone. <---- Thinking man's way ! Be warned, this can backfire, I tried this, and my wife threw me a curve. I figured she would'nt be interested in the boat, WRONG !, she loves the Whaler, she became a "Whaler NUT" like the rest of us and a few summers ago we (I) did'nt put it in the water because, of project "Mustang", I'm still hearing about "That summer without the Whaler". Good luck !

MW

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 20, 2024 - 12:44 AM
Users Online
Welcome
o8er
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,107
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,530,607 unique visits