View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Frozen Steering 60HP Mercury
Sail1946
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/16 - 10:08 AM

Comments: 0

I have a 15 Sport with a 60 HP Mercury and Teleflex mechanical steering. The steering is stuck or jammed. Apparently the steering rod end of the cable is rusted in the tilt tube. What is confusing to me is that when i take loose the cable nut on the starboard side the cable rod slides freely out until there is a metal "clunk". On the port side what I assume is the end of the cable rob is stuck so I cannot push or pull it but it turns with some effort. The cable is disconnected from the helm. Is the cable rod broke off in the tilt tube? Why won't the starboard side just pull out? How do I get the port end to budge?

EJO
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/16 - 10:56 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

PENETRATING OIL??

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

Phil T
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/16 - 12:26 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Review the F.A.Q on Steering. Main>FAQ>Steering

http://www.whalercentral.com/faq.php?...p?cat_id=4

fitz73222
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/16 - 5:56 PM

Sail1946 wrote:
I have a 15 Sport with a 60 HP Mercury and Teleflex mechanical steering. The steering is stuck or jammed. Apparently the steering rod end of the cable is rusted in the tilt tube. What is confusing to me is that when i take loose the cable nut on the starboard side the cable rod slides freely out until there is a metal "clunk". On the port side what I assume is the end of the cable rob is stuck so I cannot push or pull it but it turns with some effort. The cable is disconnected from the helm. Is the cable rod broke off in the tilt tube? Why won't the starboard side just pull out? How do I get the port end to budge?

Phil,
What your are doing is running out of travel in the inner cable, the inner cable is not stuck, the outer "core" is still stuck in the tilt tube. It just needs some encouragement with a BRASS hammer and Punch to knock it out through the tilt tube. NEVER use a steel hammer and punch to knock the remaining core out of the tilt tube or it will mushroom the end of the core to where it will not come through the tilt tube. This can be tedious and and sometimes the tilt tube needs to be heated with propane or MAPP gas torch to expand the aluminum tilt tube enough to allow the steel core to break free from the tube. But for now, try some solid taps or raps to try to move the core from port to starboard. Get a long enough punch from brass and try to drive the core out. Once out, go to Walmart and buy a 12 gage shotgun cleaning kit, install the brush on one end to the aluminum tube that is supplied and chuck the other end in a drill and rotate the brush with the drill with the tube shot full of PD Blaster or Liquid Wrench and run the brush in and out to clean the rust out of the tilt tube, keep shooting with the solution until all of the rust is gone. The brush is made from brass also and will polish the the tube without removing any material from the tilt tube. Then clean the cable core with 220 grit sandpaper and more PB or L wrench until the rust is gone from it. Lube the core end with marine grease and reinstall into the tube. Try the steering and see if it is back to normal with the nut tightened back up on the starboard side, if not repeat the process until the cable runs smooth in the tilt tube.

Sail1946
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/16 - 9:17 AM

Much thanks. Instead of a brass punch i was able to use a wooden dowel. Leaving for Wallmart when i finish typing.

Finnegan
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/16 - 1:54 PM

Comments: 16

Frozen steering in a Merc outboard is a common problem resulting from the difficulty in accessing the protecting O-ring which keeps grease in and dirt out.

See my last post in this thread for the permanent solution:

http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...ost_125331

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 10:29 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 20
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,087,425 unique visits