View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1987 Montauk 17 seats
beardface
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/16 - 6:25 PM

Comments: 1

Has anyone put helm seats or captains chairs in a 17 Montauk?

The reversible seat that came with the boat is too low and not comfortable for cruising.

Any pictures would be appreciated.

Finnegan
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/16 - 10:44 PM

Comments: 16

You are correct about the ridiculously low design of the Reversible Pilot seat legs. This design dates back to 1971, and seating standards have changed since then.

But the solution is easy and looks good in the boats. Install a set of teak riser blocks. You can see mine here, which I have designed, and can now be purchased directly from Black Duck Galleries, a sponsor here. i use the 6" rise, highly recommended, but 4" can also be done if preferred

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lgolt...3437914057

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lgolt...6029308726

Also consider raising the center console 4" or 6".

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lgolt...0573931797

These two simple changes will revolutionize the feel, ease of operation, and comfort of the boat. The riser block sets are designed to fit into existing holes in the boat floor.

http://www.blackduckgallery.com/WOODP...PARTS.html

You can't really use helm chairs in the Montauk, since you lose the capability of intalling the fuel tank(s) under the RPS. Raising the seat is the way to go, and it makes access to fuel filling much easier.

Edited by Finnegan on 06/25/16 - 11:07 PM

beardface
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/29/16 - 6:59 PM

Comments: 1

Did you move the seat closer to the console also? I am tall with long arms, and it is an uncomfortable reach to the wheel, usually end up standing.

gcw5kk
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/16 - 5:52 AM

Comments: 0

Beardface,

If you do end up going the dual captain's chair route, do you have any interest in selling your RPS?

termooch
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/19/17 - 12:56 PM

Comments: 2

This RPS seat and console extension legs seem like a great idea. How are they attached to the deck? And does anyone have the plans to build these? It seems simple enough. Also, if you raise the console, do you have to extend any of the wires?

Thanks

Finnegan
#6 Print Post
Posted on 01/19/17 - 10:49 PM

Comments: 16

I am the originator and designer of the "Block and Beam" style console and RPS risers, and have made the drawings and installation procedure available to only Walter Reynolds @ BlackDuck Galleries, a sponsor here.
Considering the cost of solid teak, Walter produces these for a VERY reasonable cost. See his website.

Both type of risers use existing holes in the boat floor - no new holes needed except for consoles in some cases.

Generally, the consoles can be raised up to 6" without extending any cables, wiring, etc. Usually there is plenty of slack, and nothing needs to be removed or disconnected.

Riser sets are available for all three of the classic standard console designs, Outrage or Montauk, from 1973-1991. They are also available for the 1971-1972 Ribside Outrage 21 teak console.

As you can probably tell, I highly recommend raising both the console and RPS on these boats, as I have done on my own boats. It completely changes and improves the feel and long term comfort of using these boats. There is also a considerable improvement in wind protection.

The raised console provides additional under-console storage space for things like jackets and cushions, and greatly improves access for rigging work, etc. Fuel tank access is facilitated under the RPS, or for an allowance for a pull out storage/cooler seat on Outrage models.

Soswiss
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/20/21 - 8:44 AM

Looks like Black Duck no longer does any boat work, would you know where else to get your "Block and Beam" style console and RPS risers? Just got an 1987 Montauk and having been on parents Montauk for years this has always been an issue given wanting to sit but also eyes on the large amount of crab pots in our area.

Finnegan wrote:
I am the originator and designer of the "Block and Beam" style console and RPS risers, and have made the drawings and installation procedure available to only Walter Reynolds @ BlackDuck Galleries, a sponsor here.
Considering the cost of solid teak, Walter produces these for a VERY reasonable cost. See his website.

Both type of risers use existing holes in the boat floor - no new holes needed except for consoles in some cases.

Generally, the consoles can be raised up to 6" without extending any cables, wiring, etc. Usually there is plenty of slack, and nothing needs to be removed or disconnected.

Riser sets are available for all three of the classic standard console designs, Outrage or Montauk, from 1973-1991. They are also available for the 1971-1972 Ribside Outrage 21 teak console.

As you can probably tell, I highly recommend raising both the console and RPS on these boats, as I have done on my own boats. It completely changes and improves the feel and long term comfort of using these boats. There is also a considerable improvement in wind protection.

The raised console provides additional under-console storage space for things like jackets and cushions, and greatly improves access for rigging work, etc. Fuel tank access is facilitated under the RPS, or for an allowance for a pull out storage/cooler seat on Outrage models.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 05/20/21 - 12:45 PM

Phil T
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/20/21 - 9:19 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Bob Latourelle in Central Mass is well respected by whaler owners for wood parts, consoles and full interiors of classic models. He does custom work and his hourly rate is respectable.

He is a one-man operation. Give him a call. (978) 837-8808

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Weatherly
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/20/21 - 4:55 PM

Comments: 4

I visited with Bob latourelle recently at his shop located in Haverhill, MA., on the North Shore of Massachusetts. Bob has doubled his production capability to respond to the increased demand for Boston Whaler OE wood products. He had a 6-8 week wait list for finishing individual orders. No doubt, springtime is when demand was highest. Place your order with Bob, send him a 50 percent deposit to secure your order, and wait until he finishes. You will find it was worth the wait and the product is high value.

Soswiss
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/21 - 11:41 AM

Thank you Phil!

Phil T wrote:
Bob Latourelle in Central Mass is well respected by whaler owners for wood parts, consoles and full interiors of classic models. He does custom work and his hourly rate is respectable.

He is a one-man operation. Give him a call. (978) 837-8808

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 1, 2024 - 3:12 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Bcoleman184
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,038
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,204,354 unique visits