View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1979 Revenge V-22 Bilge Plugs
Jeffrey Stone
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/16 - 4:11 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

When I bought the boat I couldn't find any information as to if I should have a bilge plug in the thru hull from the engine well or not, there is also an additional thru hull from the live well to the engine well. Not knowing any better or worse, I have kept a plug in the stern as well as the live well. Anyone have any thoughts on this??

There are 3 brass ports which look to be original between the twin engines, one bilge pump hooked to each.

Thanks!

Jeffrey Stone
1979 Revenge V-22

gchuba
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/16 - 4:50 PM

Comments: 0

No bilges from the factory. The hull was designed as self bailing. One tube through the lower quarter of the transom with a goof ball fitting. Any bait well/fish locker tube would have been added later.
Garris

Jeffrey Stone
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/16 - 5:01 PM
Personal Page

I am getting more and more confused as to what I have as things go on! Too funny! Let me think on this.

Do you have any pictures of you boat I could check out Garris? Sounds like we have lots of the same attributes. How long a shaft on your motor 20" or 25"?

Jeffrey Stone
1979 Revenge V-22

VA Whaler
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/16 - 6:09 PM
Personal Page

Jeff, my set up was I think the same as Garris and here is a detailed description of the drains and their states. Going from the stern forward:

Transom (1): One transom tube dead center and at the bottom of the engine well. It also had the goofball "1-way" valve that was mounted on the outside of the of the transom. It is now somewhere in the woods. :)

Floor Drain (1): Located in the main Bilge Pump "locker" starboard and aft. Drains thru the hull.

Fish Locker Drains (2): One tube leads from the fish locker to the Engine Well. It also had a goofball valve on the engine well side of that partition. It too is in the woods. The other fish locker drain is a thru hull drain

The former owner installed (or had someone install) a plastic drain pipe between the fuel tank cavity and the fish locker. Should you decide to keep your V-22 after finding the vast amount of knowledge on this site :), I'd definitely recommend you do the same. I'm going to eventually replace this pipe with a brass tube.
You'll notice the drain tubes near the top of the fuel tank. The idea was that water would sit on top of the foamed in tank and exit through those tubes. For the most part the water seeped to the bottom of the fuel tank cavity with nowhere to go.

Cabin Drains (4): Floor, Stb locker, Port Locker, Anchor Locker

Transom: Plugged
Fish Locker Thru Hull: plugged
Fish Locker to Engine Well: plugged
Floor Drain: Plugged
Cabin Drains: All Plugged
Fuel Tank Cavity: Unplugged

So I keep all of my drains plugged with the exception of the fuel tank cavity drain but I'm also on the tamest of waters. I'm on a simple lake at the moment (Smith Mt. Lake), but I figured the boat would not swamp if I had water trapped in my engine well or fish locker for that matter. If I were out on the big waters I will still plug the transom drain (from the inside obviously) but leave the fish locker thru hull open just in case I caught a big wave over the stern. I will likely someday add a second bilge pump to the engine well like Garris.

I replaced all of my thru hull drains a couple years ago. I still need to replace the tube that connects the fish locker to the engine well but will save that for next season.

Edited by VA Whaler on 04/11/16 - 6:16 PM

gchuba
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/16 - 10:25 PM

I have a 25" shaft motor. 200hp HO Etec. Pictures of my boat have been requested for some time. I am going to have my wife take some shots and struggle with a personal page. I have never been a photo type guy by choice. We are still in a weather front but will get to it time permitting. Rails, pulpit, fish locker deck, steering, teak cabinet at helm, etc.... all off. Probably a good indicator for my work in progress and give me a kick in the fanny to get back to it.
Garris

Jeffrey Stone
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/12/16 - 4:46 PM
Personal Page

I am going to strip the shrink wrap off this week and take a look at the sumps and hull. I am confused a bit between that 1986 Revenge W/T I bought and sold last year and my 1979 Revenge v-22 hull. I am sure that ALL of the thru hulls in the cuddy have been sealed permanently and a factory looking job at that, I will investigate more closely. I have never seen any evidence on the exterior hull of them ever being there, so it may have been a professional job.

I will also endeavor to get pictures of the cut in the cockpit floor for you guys.

Thanks for the input!

Cheers!

Jeffrey Stone
1979 Revenge V-22

VA Whaler
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/12/16 - 4:59 PM
Personal Page

Interesting find on the cabin drains. I wish mine were all sealed up. Would have saved me many hours for other things during my summer vacation a couple years ago. That anchor locker drain was a real PIA due to the sharp angle of the hull there.

gchuba
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/12/16 - 7:04 PM

Jeffrey,
The believe hulls for the 22' Walk-Through and the early Revenges are the same (if not identical.....pretty dang close). At some point Whaler raised the transom height with some other small modifications. The cuddy's are drastically different. The Walk-Through edition has a wider cabin, goes to the edge of the hull, a cool looking slide-able ladder, and rails on top of the cuddy to deploy the anchor. The 1979 version has the narrow cabin. The outer edge of the cabin leaves a narrow 6" +- platform that you can access the bow. My favorite customizing on mine was severing the bow rail where it became 17" above that platform outside the cuddy (at a tee fitting) sliding in a stainless "hot dog" and keeping that height intact to the start of the outer cuddy wall. Instead of returning it to the cabins side, it turned down and mounted on the outer edge of the gunnel top. I eliminated the factory original return of the rail to the side of the cuddy. The rail is directly above the rubber bumper. Leaves me a narrow path to the bow with rail protection.
Garris

Edited by gchuba on 04/13/16 - 6:05 AM

Jeffrey Stone
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/16 - 4:28 PM
Personal Page

OK... Got her uncovered today.

The cut for the cockpit floor is cut square at +/- 74&1/2" from the stern most factory seam. falls just in front of the foot rest on the port and above the cover plate for the fuel tank sending unit.

Wish it was easier to exchange pics.

The custom radar arch rail system connects at 14 points to the gunwale and 4 points on the top hull!
Some one engineered this so now the top hull section is fastened structurally to the lower hull section!

All cabin thru hulls were eliminated and sealed up very well indeed. I can see where the nice patches were pieced in in the lockers but no evidence on the exterior hull.

Jeffrey Stone
1979 Revenge V-22

VA Whaler
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/16 - 1:02 AM
Personal Page

Thanks for that information Jeff. I also really appreciate you going to the trouble of breaking open the cover to do so.

Jeffrey Stone
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/16 - 2:47 PM
Personal Page

Thanks for the complements John! She is outfitted to the max!

After dinner I will forward along the picture of the cut I have via email as I am having a heck of a time switching over from the MAC to the PC and figuring out how to shrink the pics without cropping down so it does not display correctly, then maybe you can post the cut pic? The spot has no real give to it so I am curious as well, I will pull the cover plate for the fuel sending unit and see if anything can be determined, this weekend.

It currently has a transition cover strip used in flooring applications, over the cut to finish it off. No idea if this was the original "finish plate cover" for the cut.

I am also going to forward along a couple pics of the upper and lower hull attachment via the custom radar arch with integral bow and pulpit rail system.
The pulpit is not at all like the W/T version, much shorter and the rails are angled out along the lines of Garris's modification to allow for a +/- 6" walk around.

I can imagine that when the arch/rails were fabricated to link the top and bottom hull sections as well as the custom enclosure canvas and isinglass, it cost more than I am asking for the entire boat package! Quite an engineering/design feat! That's why originally I was curious if it was a factory option, Joe says "not" in the other thread, he figures it was" aftermarket".

Jeffrey Stone
1979 Revenge V-22

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 6:29 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 20
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,067,746 unique visits