View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Bunk support on a keel roller trailer (Finnegan?)
VA Whaler
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/20/15 - 9:43 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I'm prepping my 1979 22' Revenge for it's first cross country trip on its semi new keel roller trailer and I see where I have a little more clearance between the hull and the bunks. All the weight is definitely on the keel. I can put just a little upward pressure under the gunnel and she will rock towards the opposite side. My question is, should I get under the boat and push up on the bunks a hair to compensate for the boards shrinking a little or just tie her down real well to prevent rocking and go. With it tilted towards port I have just less than a 1/4 of clearance on the starboard bunk. Not sure that's worth the trouble or if its actually situated just right for a keel roller trailer set up.

Thanks

John

Blackduck
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/20/15 - 1:18 PM
Personal Page

I would take the time to push the bunks up tight, even if I was just going down the street.

Walter Reynolds
1973 Boston Whaler 16 Nauset 90 HP Yamaha

Finnegan
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/20/15 - 2:10 PM

Comments: 16

I think Walter's advice is correct. You don't want any "rocking", but this does not mean that the bunks are carrying any weight.

I do it one bunk at a time. I use a ruler to make sure the boat sits level on the trailer and rollers. Measure from the rear cross member up to the bottom of the hull at the same place on both sides.
When the boat is level, tighten up the bolts on the bunk supports on one side. Then use a trailer transom tie down strap and tighten down firmly on that side.

Now go to the other side. SLIGHTLY loosen the bunk bolts, but not so much that the bunk moves by hand. Using a regular hammer, tamp/bump the bunks up tight against the hull, then firmly tighten.

Your hull will now be firmly installed on the trailer, and will not rock side to side.

Have a safe trip. I recently just towed my Outrage 25 1400 miles to FL for the winter. Took two long days, driving 62 MPH in third gear, 8-9 MPG!

VA Whaler
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/20/15 - 9:17 PM
Personal Page

Thanks for the advice and information. I did get under there and snugged up the bunks. I also tightened up the guide posts and strapped down the transom. We should be good to go for the 2.5 hour journey. Nothing close to your annual migration Finnegan. :)

Thanks again.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 2:25 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 20
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,092,161 unique visits