View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Bikini cover for whaler- for sun
BlueSmoke
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/10/15 - 11:54 AM

Comments: 1

For 1977 sport 15, side rails no bow rail.
As I prep for doing over my mahogany this winter I am thinking forward to how to keep the UV of my seats in the future. My boat sits out in the sun far more than it is used as lives on the dock or trailer in driveway. My winter cover, the tarp, is not a good option so I am thinking of making a light use cover to block the sun from the wood.

my idea was something that would essentially cover the thwart seats and consul, wheel, throttle. I would put this on sunday night and take of when i use the boat Saturday am. I don't want it to be to difficult and be a pain as I might not use it then..

my 2 ideas- please let me know if you have something better?

Sunbrella rectangle with Velcro straps onto itself that go around the rail seen in picture. the idea here is that its not blocking any air so will dry right out after rain.
http://i.imgur.com/BWuSfE3.jpg

option 2 - my whaler already has snaps screwed into the outside of hull from previous owner so I could make more custom cover that snaps around the same area creating a better seal.

what do you think?

thanks

Edited by BlueSmoke on 12/10/15 - 12:31 PM

Carvercovers
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/11/15 - 10:21 AM

Comments: 0

Are you looking for a full boat cover (one that covers from the bow to the stern & outboard motor?

BlueSmoke
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/11/15 - 11:24 AM

no just a partial cover only concerned about protecting the wood

Acseatsri
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/11/15 - 11:37 AM

Will it be a 1- piece or 2- piece bikini? I prefer a 2- piece.

sailorman
#5 Print Post
Posted on 12/15/15 - 2:57 PM

Velcro doesn't hold up very well in the marine environment. The UV really eats it up in short order.

jgortva
#6 Print Post
Posted on 12/16/15 - 5:54 AM
Personal Page

West marine sells plastic rail clips that will support a 1 inch by 3/8 or so strips that creat a "bow" to have the rain run off. I think you could use something like that with a piece of canvas to creat a "dodger that would go over the bows and snap to your existing snaps. When using a rectagular piece of canvas it should be easy enough to make and will leave the bow and stern areas open. Here is a link:

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/taylor-made--bow-sockets-rail-mount--272781

butchdavis
#7 Print Post
Posted on 12/16/15 - 8:06 AM

Bite the bullet and get a full cover. The entire interior of your 15 needs protection from UV.

Butch

EJO
#8 Print Post
Posted on 12/16/15 - 12:42 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

Like Butch said get a full cover although a small 2 piece bikini is nice on a whaler.
Look at this site for in-expensive good covers that are "custom" made for your boat.
http://boatcovers.iboats.com/Boston_W...=335441360

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

WE Whaler
#9 Print Post
Posted on 12/17/15 - 11:31 AM
Personal Page

I have thought about having a cover made that would go over the seats and control console. My vision (I have a 13') was that I would have some kind of strap arrangement that goes under the seats to keep the cover down. This would leave most of the floor uncovered. Made out of Sunbrella or similar marine fabric it shouldn't cost too much and would look nicer than just a plain tarp.

jgortva
#10 Print Post
Posted on 12/17/15 - 12:07 PM
Personal Page

WE Whaler,
Dont give up your vision. I also keep my Whaler on a dock for most of the summer and understand how diificult of a chore it can be to put a full cover on while the boat is in the water. I have graduated from a 13 foot sport that used a full mooring cover to a 15 foot dauntless which has only a center console cover and a separate seat cover and it is so much easier at the end of the weekend. I know you are not the only sport owner to want something like this as I have seen others use sunbrella seat and console covers that use snaps mounted under the seats and console to cover the wood. However this is basically like giftwrapping the wood and the canvas is rubbing on the varnish and propably sticks to it when wet.I dont know what the answer is, but keep looking and you will find something.

Jim G.

BlueSmoke
#11 Print Post
Posted on 12/18/15 - 11:42 AM

Butch - I can see the need for sun cover in FL, Alabama or the south but on cape cod (short season) i would say 95% of boat owners do not have covers on at the mooring unless they are Hinkleys. I think if its to hard to use I would skip it... I know thats lazzy but I treat it well but dont baby the thing.

WE- thats prety much what I am looking to make, did not think about the friction on the wood.

Not making it for another month or 2 when i can properly measure.

thanks

MG56
#12 Print Post
Posted on 12/20/15 - 5:12 AM
Personal Page

BlueSmoke wrote:
For 1977 sport 15, side rails no bow rail.
As I prep for doing over my mahogany this winter I am thinking forward to how to keep the UV of my seats in the future. My boat sits out in the sun far more than it is used as lives on the dock or trailer in driveway. My winter cover, the tarp, is not a good option so I am thinking of making a light use cover to block the sun from the wood.

my idea was something that would essentially cover the thwart seats and consul, wheel, throttle. I would put this on sunday night and take of when i use the boat Saturday am. I don't want it to be to difficult and be a pain as I might not use it then..

my 2 ideas- please let me know if you have something better?

Sunbrella rectangle with Velcro straps onto itself that go around the rail seen in picture. the idea here is that its not blocking any air so will dry right out after rain.
http://i.imgur.com/BWuSfE3.jpg

option 2 - my whaler already has snaps screwed into the outside of hull from previous owner so I could make more custom cover that snaps around the same area creating a better seal.

what do you think?

thanks

Take a tarp and make an upside down box. The sides rest outside the rails and the front & back drop past the seats. For fastening you have snaps so you could use those but I'd fasten to the stand-offs on the sides, just use nylon strap & clips. The back flap will probably be ok but you'd probably want to fasten the front flap, and you could use velcro under the front of the seat.

Water is going to puddle on this so build the middle tight and the ends loose. That way the console will create a high spot and most of the water should run off.

Should work...

MG56
#13 Print Post
Posted on 12/20/15 - 5:16 AM
Personal Page

Had another brainstorm. To remove it you unvelcro the frnt seat and 2 front clips & roll it up, then the next 2 clips and roll it to the back, but leave it there. You can build in a couple of straps to tie it up, and even make a cover for it.

Besides, where else are you going to put it?

Edited by MG56 on 12/20/15 - 5:17 AM

BlueSmoke
#14 Print Post
Posted on 01/10/16 - 3:45 PM

here is a link to what I am looking for!!

http://www.ryderscoveboatyard.com/ima..._BW_13.pdf

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 4:24 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 25
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,080,608 unique visits