View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
270 Vantage with summer kitchen question
steveinFL
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/28/15 - 10:35 AM

Comments: 0

Just bought a 2014 270 Vantage with the summer kitchen and I have a couple of questions re: electrical and battery that don't seem to be explained well in the manual

1. When plugged into shore power, it clearly charges the batteries that drive the inverter that drives the grill, but..does it also charge the engine/starting batteries?

2. The refrigerator seems to be able to operate 2 ways. I assume this because there is an AC plug that seems to be able to be plugged into the outlet that is powered by the inverter. If this plug is not plugged in, the refrigerator runs when the batteries are on. I assume it's running in DC mode and draining the starter/engine batteries in this mode. I also assume that if I plug it in the AC outlet AND turn the inverter/grill on, it will run off of "AC" power supplied by the batteries that drive the inverter. Is that true?

3. When in my slip and plugged into shore power...can I charge the batteries that drive the inverter AND run the refrigerator off the inverter at the same time? Is this what most people do?

Thanks so much in advance, it's all a little unclear.

EJO
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/28/15 - 11:14 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

I'm not familier with your model and/or it's electric schematics, but I think with a boat this new you should be able to get an answer from the BW dealer or call customer service at BW direct.
In all the cabin cruisers I had I had to throw a battery switch to get my accessories to run of inverter. i.e. I never unplugged my AC outlets. I had to turn switch over when on shore power and/or generator.
As for my trickle charger I put in so anytime I had 120/1/60 (shore or generator) it would be charging the house and starting batteries.
Call BW or study your electric diagram.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

JRP
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/28/15 - 1:20 PM

Comments: 2

When you are plugged into shore power, your AC system should not be operating off the inverter. It should be being fed live from the shore power. The only time you should be using the inverter is when you are NOT plugged into shore power. If your boat is set-up so that you have to use the inverter to run the stove/fridge even when you are plugged into shore power, then that is highly inefficient and you should have it corrected.

You should have a panel for both your DC and AC loads. The AC panel should have a large master breaker for activating shore power (the DC panel's "master" switch is usually a separate battery selector switch). Normally the AC panel will have a dedicated breaker to turn on the battery charger as well. Properly installed, the battery charger should charge all battery banks (house/domestic and engine/starter). The AC panel woudl normally also have a breaker that turns on power to AC outlets.

If you are using the inverter at anchor, be sure to turn it off before anyone goes in the water swimming from or around the boat. And shut off all AC at the master panel.

EDIT: The above comments are generic, not specific to your model/brand of boat. Also, when I use "AC" above I mean alternating current, NOT air conditioning.

Edited by JRP on 09/28/15 - 2:44 PM

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/15 - 3:48 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

If purchased recently from a dealer, contact them.

If purchased from a broker or private party, contact Boston Whaler Customer Service.

The electrical systems of current Boston Whaler models are very complex and are not intuitive. Remember the windless throwing the breaker problem.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 8:08 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 18
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,069,505 unique visits