View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Help with wiring for 1974 13'
supersport75
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/15 - 3:12 PM

Comments: 0

Hi,

I picked up a 13 last Friday and want to get the lights going. The manual does not give any info on color coding or anything like that other than the wiring is internal or external depending on the year.

I suspect my whaler has some dealer add ons as there is a switch/fuse panel on the side of the console. Also the stern light has a strange way of attaching, although I can't find out how stock ones were mounted (the manual is lacking on thee kind of details).

What color wires come from the bow and where do they exit on the boat?

Thank you.

Finnegan
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/29/15 - 2:15 PM

Comments: 16

You first have to tell us what kind of rubrail you boat has, and if it is original. If you have the white one-piece rubrail, the wires run interally inside the hull. If you have the black rubrail insert, the wires run under that.

In either case, there should be place on the stern sidewall where the wires come into the inside of the hull, usually indentified by a terminal block placement.

Whaler uses light gray wires for navigation lights, the industry standard.

You can find photos of the standard stern light configuration on this site. Look at the Whaler parts section. Specialty Marine sells the components for a stern light installation, so does Twin Cities Marine.

supersport75
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/31/15 - 2:11 PM

Finnegan wrote:
You first have to tell us what kind of rubrail you boat has, and if it is original. If you have the white one-piece rubrail, the wires run interally inside the hull. If you have the black rubrail insert, the wires run under that.

In either case, there should be place on the stern sidewall where the wires come into the inside of the hull, usually indentified by a terminal block placement.

Whaler uses light gray wires for navigation lights, the industry standard.

You can find photos of the standard stern light configuration on this site. Look at the Whaler parts section. Specialty Marine sells the components for a stern light installation, so does Twin Cities Marine.

Hi again,

There is a black rub rail but also a plastic trim rail that is white. I don't see a fuse block but there is a aluminium cover on the right corner that covers the engine wiring. It looks like whaler hide the wires under that as I see 2 white wires cut very short. ? is that for the front or rear light?

sorry if this is a easy question but right now I am a bit overwhelmed with all I am going to have to do to get everything going. Boat, trailer and motor all have things wrong with them.

thanks..

grousis
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/31/15 - 3:20 PM

Check the download section for the Boston Whaler wire color chart and wiring instructions. I am starting restoration of a 1969 Sport 13 and will be rewiring the bow light under the new rub rail insert. There are many posts on the topic, and some videos on YouTube.

In the OEM parts section and on several personal pages of forum member. I found photos showing how the original lights and fuse blocks are mounted and what they look like.

This being my first post on the forum, I'll take this opportunity to thank all of the contributors and sys admins. There's a gold mine of info here, and it is much appreciated. I would not be tackling my project were it not for the contributions of the many enthusiasts sharing there knowledge and experience.

supersport75
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/03/15 - 9:38 PM

grousis wrote:
Check the download section for the Boston Whaler wire color chart and wiring instructions. I am starting restoration of a 1969 Sport 13 and will be rewiring the bow light under the new rub rail insert. There are many posts on the topic, and some videos on YouTube.

In the OEM parts section and on several personal pages of forum member. I found photos showing how the original lights and fuse blocks are mounted and what they look like.

This being my first post on the forum, I'll take this opportunity to thank all of the contributors and sys admins. There's a gold mine of info here, and it is much appreciated. I would not be tackling my project were it not for the contributions of the many enthusiasts sharing there knowledge and experience.

Thanks..I am going to hook up 12v to those 2 wires and see if I can get any lights working. I did see a diagram, but it was not specific enough to help.

supersport75
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/06/15 - 4:37 PM

With a vom and some spare wires I was able to trace those wires to the bow light. There is nothing for the stern.

Unfortunately I didn't realize that that 2 holes (coming in from the rail and inside the hull) are not aligned. The inside hole is much lower so I can't fish the wires back in at that angle. yes I could cut another hole inside the hull but I would only do that as a last resort.

I have a snake that I am fixing to try, but if anyone ran into this how did you fish the wires back in at that steep angle?

supersport75
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/06/15 - 5:47 PM

With the snake and a very small screwdriver, I got it..barely. Be careful if you remove the wire from the inside of the boat as it is not easy to get it back in because of the angle of the 2 holes.

Bow lights now working now ..straight to the battery. Got to decide how to switch it on and off and also the stern light..but at least I made some progress!

Joe Kriz
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/07/15 - 9:57 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

How to wire a light switch is in our Article section.
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...icle_id=51

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 5:34 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 21
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,066,730 unique visits