View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
17' Montauk with T Top
beninga
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/19/15 - 1:05 PM

Comments: 0

I have recently completely restored a 1975 17" Montauk. I could not be happier with the performance of my boat. I repowerd with a 70 hp 4 stroke Yamaha, and it is perfect. The only issue that I have is being on the water all day without shade. I have been told that the 17' can NOT handle a T Top due to the length and possible instability with the weight and having essentially a sail up that high. Does anyone have an opinion on this or ideas to get some shade without losing my rail space with a Bimini Top?. Thank you

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/19/15 - 3:17 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Consider T-topless. Not cheap but may suit your needs.
http://www.rnr-marine.com/Montauk-T-T...less.shtml

Not many members have reported installing one but there have been a few that have been pleased.

Edited by Phil T on 08/19/15 - 3:18 PM

wing15601
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/19/15 - 7:42 PM

I purchased my 1984 17' Montauk about 4 years ago and it has a T top installed. If it weren't already there I wouldn't spend the money but I like it ok. It has 4 legs each with a welded plate with 4 screws into the deck. It is attached to the console in two places. I've used the boat in the Gulf of Mexico and the islands around Sanibel Florida and in Lake Michigan for the last three years. The lake kicks up pretty good and I've been out when a lot of boats turned back before going out of the breakwater. I am not new to boating having owned boats From 13 feet to 38 feet over the last 45 years and have never felt any instability or wind/sail problems because of the T top. It is afterall, aluminum, and probably no heavier than the stainless steel bows of a Bimini top and certainly less canvas. It is a convenient place for rod holders, anchor/all round white light, a flood light for the cockpit and a VHF antenna. There are two negatives. Because of the design the legs are outboard of the console and take up precious space next to the console. The second is the following. I have an E-TEC 90 and people with the same setup report speeds of 42 mph or so. I can only get 39 and I think that is because when the bow is up the top acts like a scoop slowing me down. I've heard all the opinions of how bad a T top is on a Montauk but I've experienced the T top and find none of the fears to be valid. Pics on my personal website.

Edited by wing15601 on 08/19/15 - 7:42 PM
I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

wrangler
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/20/15 - 4:46 AM

Consider a bimiteetop. They mount to the console, can be taken down for garage storage and are very inexpensive compared to a t topless or other fixed top.

I have had one on my 1979 Montauk about 10 years now. I mounted the radio antenna and lights on it.
They have rod storage also. A previous Montauk owner read this from me a few months ago and got one.

Phone number 813 240 1617 or email teetop1@verizon.net. Their is no longer any website. They are made by the Taylormade co.

Edited by wrangler on 08/20/15 - 11:03 AM

TTopless
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/20/15 - 11:10 AM

Phil T wrote:
Consider T-topless. Not cheap but may suit your needs.
http://www.rnr-marine.com/Montauk-T-T...less.shtml

Not many members have reported installing one but there have been a few that have been pleased.

Phil T,

Thank you for the nice reference. We do have 100's of the T-Topless and Shadow tops out on the water now. I'm not sure how many of these owners are on WhalerCentral, but we'll be glad to mention WhalerCentral on our site as its a great resource for Whaler owners. We also carry all of the OEM canvas and covers for Boston Whalers from 1997 forward...

Thanks again and have a great day!

Thank you, Sandy

bradsc
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/20/15 - 4:00 PM
Personal Page

I had a t-top on my 21 outrage but I felt it just did not provide enough coverage from the sun or rain. So when I downsized to a 17 Montauk I decided to go to a bimini top. It was first installed on a rail and stayed folded toward the front and outside the front rail. Then I decided to get rid of the rail and fold it toward the back. I just keep it down and it rest on the side rails when we are inshore fishing. I normally have it up and then open it up to get out of the sun. I added 3 rod holders and for me this has been a better set up than a t-top. My buddy has a 1.25" main bow on his bimini and it is a beast.

bottomline
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/15 - 3:15 PM

I bought a Taylormade bimini tee-top with a stainless steel frame ,and I love it. Around $700.00 shipped. It fits the console great, I can remove it to fit it in the garage.And the stainless steel is 7/8 " like the whaler railing. Mine is a 4.5' by 6' and you can see one on the (Taylormade 4' by 5' detachable bimini tee top for boats) on Ebay. It's a high quality t-top.

bottomline
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/18/15 - 12:40 PM

By the way the top came from www.bimiteetop.com. I had to install my top a little different then instructed. I mounted my forward struts to the front of the console ( I had a 8' antenna on the side of the console)and the rear struts on the handrail. I'm waiting for some fittings to beef up the side to side movement of the top. It's not bad, but it gives a little more support. I spent an extra 125 bucks for the way I wanted it, but it's solid.

butchdavis
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09/19/15 - 7:16 AM

I wear a wide brim hat and use sun screen. Works well with my 75 year old skin and as I also use the hat for any outdoor work it's very cost effective.

The downside is that it fails to portray my ultra cool image very well and the hat only lasts two to three years.

Butch

bob camire
#10 Print Post
Posted on 09/22/15 - 3:53 AM

Comments: 4

had a bimini istalled right after purchasing our dauntless..best $ ever spent, like butch, i also wear a wide brim had with a string under my chin..got tired of fishing my hat out of the ocean

2006 Dauntless 160, 115 HP Merc 4 Stroke, 2012 Venture Trailer

bottomline
#11 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/15 - 10:05 AM

I found out last week I'm addicted to 7/8" stainless steel that's why i got the tee top.With all that stainless who cares if the top works or not. It's works if your a poster boy for skin cancer. For some people shade is a necessity

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 3:35 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,093,188 unique visits