View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
depression in smirk of 1988 montauk 17
jmike
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/20/15 - 5:59 PM

Comments: 0

anyone seen this before or have any idea of the severity? i'm considering purchasing this boat and in general the boat is in excellent condition, very few penetrations in top side of hull, no bottom paint, only some minor scratches on bottom of hull, very minimal spider cracking ( looks like it has been under cover most of its life ), transom drains not corroded, etc.. all in all, looks like it was meticulously maintained; however, in this one spot, there is a depression or dent as shown in the pic. it is about 8 inches in diameter and just looks as if something pushed in the side. but there are no cracks, no other indication of a repair, discoloration, etc. when knocking on the hull, i can't feel any softness or hear any hollow sounds. i have inspected it closely and it just looks like this portion of the hull sunk in about 1/4 to 1/2 inch ( max at the center ).
i have an 1983 15 ft and know that very small depressions can be typical, but never seen anything this size.

if it is just cosmetic , i'm also wondering how difficult it would be to repair .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/1342007...ed-public/

thanks!
Mike

wing15601
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/20/15 - 7:23 PM

It's kind of hard to see what you're talking about in the photo but in any case, you could sand away the gelcoat, roughen up the surface and start filling with layers of fiberglass mat, starting with small circles, ending with a piece just below the rim of the depression. Sand it fair then fill with a mixture of resin and microbaloons and fair that in to fill any depressions left then reapply the gelcoat. Sounds easy and it isn't. We're it me I would either live with it or find a glass man for an estimate.

I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

jmike
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/20/15 - 8:02 PM

wing15601 wrote:
It's kind of hard to see what you're talking about in the photo but in any case, you could sand away the gelcoat, roughen up the surface and start filling with layers of fiberglass mat, starting with small circles, ending with a piece just below the rim of the depression. Sand it fair then fill with a mixture of resin and microbaloons and fair that in to fill any depressions left then reapply the gelcoat. Sounds easy and it isn't. We're it me I would either live with it or find a glass man for an estimate.

thanks for the feedback. it is kind of tough to capture in a pic, but it is that dark spot right above the lettering on the trailer, and to the left of the trailer tire. there isn't much else to see since the gelcoat is undamaged, looks original, just sunken in a little bit.
I have found a few references to early 80's hulls having a cosmetic problem, manufacturing defect i suppose, where the foam could shrink and pull in the shell. I was thinking maybe this was something similar.
Just based on the overall condition, i'll probably go ahead and purchase the boat tomorrow and probably live with it. before doing so, was just trying to understand what i was looking at.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 9:56 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,086,817 unique visits