View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
150 montauk or 170 super sport
kmsurfs2000
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/15 - 6:57 AM

Comments: 0

hi all soon to be new whaler owner

torn between the 150 montauk and the 170 super sport as they are similar price points.

I do plan on fishing from it

I like the fishing design of the montuak but wonder if I am better off with the 170SS as it is bigger and has a bigger engine on the one I am considering.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

my concern with the montuak is it might not handle small chop as well as the 170 ss-I mainly plan on using it in a lake and or the bay

perfect world I would get the 170 montuak but that is a bit tough for me budget wise.

Thanks very much

(corrected typo in Montauk)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 05/19/15 - 10:55 AM

Jay Fitz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/15 - 8:10 AM
Personal Page

Why not look for a used 170 Montauk? Save you some money and get the boat you want.

Here's an 05 on Cape Cod: http://capecod.craigslist.org/boa/497...32177.html

Edited by Jay Fitz on 05/19/15 - 8:15 AM

JRP
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/15 - 10:23 AM

Comments: 2

"I do plan on fishing from it..."

If the choice is only between a new Montauk 150, or a new 170 Super Sport, and fishing is a big part of your plans for the boat, then the Montauk 150 is the better option.

But I also agree with the previous post about comparing with a used Montauk 170. And, based on the budget you have for a new Montauk 150, I would also suggest that some other models are worthy of consideration too.

Almost a year ago, I began my search for a Whaler. I initially narrowed it down to a new Montauk 170 (after also considering a new Montauk 150.) However, due to other factors, the timing wasn't right and I had to wait a bit before pulling the trigger. In the intervening months, I continued to research and learn more about the Whaler offerings.

Over time, I became aware of two other used models in the size-range I was looking at, both of which offered additional features and capability: Outrage 17 I, and Outrage 18/19 II. I ended up with an Outrage 19 II, and am pleased to have it (at about half the price of a new Montauk 170.)

I guess I'm suggesting that you take your time and get familiar with the various models, and see if there might be something that is a better fit to your plans and budget. Worst case you simply confirm that the Montauk 150 is the right boat for you.

19 Outrage II (1992)

kmsurfs2000
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/15 - 10:33 AM

JRP wrote:
"I do plan on fishing from it..."

If the choice is only between a new Montauk 150, or a new 170 Super Sport, and fishing is a big part of your plans for the boat, then the Montauk 150 is the better option.

But I also agree with the previous post about comparing with a used Montauk 170. And, based on the budget you have for a new Montauk 150, I would also suggest that some other models are worthy of consideration too.

Almost a year ago, I began my search for a Whaler. I initially narrowed it down to a new Montauk 170 (after also considering a new Montauk 150.) However, due to other factors, the timing wasn't right and I had to wait a bit before pulling the trigger. In the intervening months, I continued to research and learn more about the Whaler offerings.

Over time, I became aware of two other used models in the size-range I was looking at, both of which offered additional features and capability: Outrage 17 I, and Outrage 18/19 II. I ended up with an Outrage 19 II, and am pleased to have it (at about half the price of a new Montauk 170.)

I guess I'm suggesting that you take your time and get familiar with the various models, and see if there might be something that is a better fit to your plans and budget. Worst case you simply confirm that the Montauk 150 is the right boat for you.

thanks very much=this is helpful
for me I am not interested in used as I know nothing about fixing a used boat-new is the only option for me even though i know some would say money is better spent on used-a friend bought used and later found out it had damage from sandy and it was a monster money pit-he tells me daily dont buy used

JRP
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/15 - 11:00 AM

Comments: 2

Okay, sounds like new is the best way for you to go then.* For fishing, the Montauk 150 will be a better platform. The 170 Supersport is nice enough, but the interior layout is less than ideal for fishing -- too cluttered/obstructed. It is designed as a ski-boat, so fishing considerations were not high on their list.

If you go with a new Montauk 150, I would suggest you skip the live-well option. It takes up a lot of useful space in this small hull (I wouldn't put one in a 170 Montauk, either.)

*I felt same way initially, but as I became more educated I felt more comfortable with the idea of finding a used model in top condition.

Edited by JRP on 05/19/15 - 11:01 AM
19 Outrage II (1992)

kmsurfs2000
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/15 - 11:12 AM

JRP wrote:
Okay, sounds like new is the best way for you to go then.* For fishing, the Montauk 150 will be a better platform. The 170 Supersport is nice enough, but the interior layout is less than ideal for fishing -- too cluttered/obstructed. It is designed as a ski-boat, so fishing considerations were not high on their list.

If you go with a new Montauk 150, I would suggest you skip the live-well option. It takes up a lot of useful space in this small hull (I wouldn't put one in a 170 Montauk, either.)

*I felt same way initially, but as I became more educated I felt more comfortable with the idea of finding a used model in top condition.

thanks again-I fish with plugs or fly fish so the live well wont be needed-I am leaning towards the 150 over the 170 ss
if I can get the price where I want it

used is great for guys that are smart and can find and fix stuff -I know my limits lol

tcdame
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/26/15 - 7:33 PM

I am new to this forum and new whaler owner. I just bought a 2012 Montauk 150 and cannot say enough good things about the boat. It is equally at home whether I take it out in Boston harbor for stripers or in skinny water bass fishing on a river. It is very roomy, stable and very fun to drive. Launches and retrieves like a breeze and I tow it with a minivan. I have felt very confident in this boat since I got it in March and everytime I have taken it out I love it even more.

lsucole
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/15 - 11:58 AM

I may be a little late on this but I faced a similar decision a couple of years ago. IMHO, the center console on the Montauk 150 is just too big and takes up way too much floor space in that boat. I ended up getting a 150 Super Sport, installing the Whaler mount front fishing seat and having a Minn Kota I Pilot trolling motor. Then ( because they look cool) I had a poling platform built for the back. As a fisherman, I move from the console to the front thru the center of the boat which is a lot more stable than going around the center console, All of the extra floor space is great when you have tackle boxes, ice chests, etc. The 150 has been perfect for my purposes. I have really been impressed with the dry ride and is easier to launch and trailer compared to the 170.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 6:38 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 18
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,083,094 unique visits