View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Cost to install fish finder and radio
nyc511
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/15 - 12:29 PM

Comments: 0

Friends, apologize if I am asking a redundant question, but can't seem to find a thread on this topic. I have a 1990's Montauk 17 with little or no electronics to speak of, just an old depth alarm with an old transducer on the transom. Would like to install a Garmin echoMAP and a plain old am/fm radio. The Garmin goes for less than $300 at West Marine, and even less elsewhere; you can get a decent radio/speaker system for about $200. Local boatyard is looking for about $1000 to install both. NY/Long Island region. I have a hard time believing it takes a lot to install an am/fm radio, and if there is already a transducer on the hull I would think running the cables for the Garmin should be fairly easy as well. Thoughts?

cleep1700
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/06/15 - 6:31 AM
Personal Page

Bass Pro quotes $200 to install a fishfinder.
Craig in windy Kansas

1978 Sport 15' with 50 hp Mercury

gchuba
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/06/15 - 7:23 AM

I do not know the condition of your wiring or where the fuse panel, buss bar, etc... are located but the installation for the units are quite easy and you can do it yourself if the "tie in" areas are clean and reasonably current. $1000 is a real expensive chunk of change for the install.
Garris

EJO
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/06/15 - 8:08 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

$1,000 isn't "real expensive" it's outrageous it's stealing. Bring it over and I'll do it for $50. But like cleep1700 said $200 seems reasonable for a "professional" installation.
Like Garris said I would do it myself especially when you said you have hardly any electronics currently installed so it should be clean to do. Check YouTube https://www.youtube.com/results?searc...stallation if you have doubts of doing it yourself I'm sure there is a video of how to install a marine radio.
You could even check with a local stereo supplier (Best Buy) as they mind be able to give you a good price.

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

nyc511
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/06/15 - 9:31 AM

Like everyplace, there are the good boatyards and the ones that are, well.....questionable. I've been calling the more established ones and I've got an estimate of about 4 to 5 hours labor @ $100 per, which is about $200 for each. In line with Cleep's report on the Bass Pro quote of $200 for a fish finder install. Given this is NYC/LI metro, I think I've made a match! They even suggested I buy my own product from West Marine because that way I wouldn't have to deal with any mark-ups. That's kinda refreshing. Thanks for the input; nice to know that one quote was off base and the other in line.

gary0319
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/06/15 - 10:16 AM
Personal Page

First off, Your old transducer will not work with your new unit, I'd bet $100 on that. So a new transducer will have to be installed, old holes should be filled and the cable run through the rigging tunnel and most likely holes filled in the console where the old unit was installed. I did my own on my Dauntless 15 and it took me about 4 hours including filling the old holes in the console and the transom. I'm assuming an experienced mechanic could do it in less, but I bet the labor is at least 3 hours. My mechanic charges $85 an hour for labor so that's about $300, just for the labor for the Garmin. Need to add some for shop supplies, etc and you're looking at $350, Florida prices.

I have no idea on the am-fm radio, but $1,000 for two might just be about right for New York prices.

I'd give it a try myself before shelling out the big buck$........assuming you have the necessary tools, the necessary space, the time, and the know how.

OOps.........just read your last post more carefully, sounds like you got the deal you were looking for......good shopping.

Gary

Edited by gary0319 on 05/06/15 - 10:23 AM
1998 Dauntless 15 - 1998 Mercury 60

Phil T
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/06/15 - 8:39 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

If I was closer, I would come over and help you.

These both can be done by someone with patience and a little DIY talent. We can help too.

dauntless-n-miami
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/08/15 - 9:18 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Hello nyc511, just got around to your post. I don't recall reading whether you were considering doing the work yourself?

If you have the time, space, confidence, and tools theres no reason to consider paying for the install but, if one or none of the fore mentioned apply in your case then you must choose carefully.

For the (music not VHF) radio install there are a few options to consider depending on the type of radio. If the head unit can be controlled with a remote then you can mount it within the console for exposure protection. If no remote, it could be flush mounted into an appropriate location (a hole will need to be made into the console) with a protective cover or top mounted (bracket type) with a protective enclosure. For the speakers you will need to carefully select a type and will most likely be surface mounted into the console (more holes to be cut). If your comfortable with 12 volt D.C. wiring, most modern radios are "plug-n-play" connections minus power (+) and ground (-).

The Depth sounder will have two install posibilities but one being more practical. You can surface mount if there is adequate space (yet another hole to be cut) or top mount with its pedestal or bracket. The latter method affords you the security of removal and storage. For the transducer I will offer a solution that worked out great with my Whaler. You will certainly have existing holes to deal with after removing said unit from transom, patch/repair these holes and look into this product before your new install, the product is called "Stern Mate" by Captain Chris. Very easy to use and avoids having to make holes in your transom. Take a look in my "Project Album" for my install of product.

If finally contracting the installations, discuss some of the install options I mentioned in advance. You want to be thoroughly satisfied with the fit and finish of your investment and ease of use. You have obviously been researching estimates as I read, ask plenty of questions as to the installers techniques. Avoid being surprised after all installions, make your expectations know in advance and inquire about work warranty.

Apologies for the lengthy write up, hope the info helps...
Best,
Angel M.

1996 Dauntless 15, Sportsman Pkg. - 2007 Yamaha 90 HP 2-Stroke

gentilebrian
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/08/15 - 9:30 AM

If you pay to have it done get a NEMA certified installer. Many manufactures will double the warranty if installed by a NEMA installer.

Tom Hemphill
#10 Print Post
Posted on 05/08/15 - 2:43 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

What is a "NEMA certified installer?" Did you mean to say "NMEA" (National Marine Electronics Association)?

gentilebrian
#11 Print Post
Posted on 05/08/15 - 3:34 PM

Tom Hemphill wrote:
What is a "NEMA certified installer?" Did you mean to say "NMEA" (National Marine Electronics Association)?

Yes did mean NMEA. Thank you.

nyc511
#12 Print Post
Posted on 05/11/15 - 9:12 AM

Thank you all; this has been helpful. I don't want to go off-topic on this thread, but you all seem well versed on this subject and I don't want to start over! Moderator: I'll gladly post a separate thread if need be, but I don't know where to have the radio (stereo) installed on a 98 Montauk. The top of the console is clear except for the factory compass, and presumably that is where I will install the Garmin EchoMap 44dv to one side. I could get a surface mount enclosure ( as mentioned by Dauntless-n-miami) for about $70 at West Marine. The console itself has very little space apart from one small rectangle to the right. The speakers? The fire extinguisher is on one side, the door/hatch on the other. I suppose I could get small surface mounted speakers and put them on the console top as well, but that sure would make things crowded up there, and many of the cheaper kits come with flush mount speakers.

As for the Garmin, I took a look at one at WM, and seems like a good product for the $, but it may offer more than I need and the screen might be a bit too small when in GPS mode. Any recommendations for alternatives?

Much thanks!

dauntless-n-miami
#13 Print Post
Posted on 05/11/15 - 9:46 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Hello again nyc511, I didn't see in your post if you are doing the install or contracting?

I read you will be removing the compass for a GPS, yes? If you do not have ample space on or around your console to flush mount the radio then your options are limited to surface mount with an enclosure as you have priced at W/M. Depending on the output power/wattage of the radio you may be able to select smaller sized speakers (that can handle the wattage without sound distortion) to avoid using up more space than necessary for the install.

Does your boat have a "T-Top"? If so, you can mount your electronics in an overhead dry-compartment. Regarding a GPS, you will need to decide what features are really important to you and what size-package will it come in. The same senerio with the music radio, features you desire, modularity (flush or top mounted capabilities), power amplified or not, and marine exposure resistance/protection.

If cutting the console for anyone device make certain that it is a worth while investment (brand name, quality marine product, etc. etc.).

Best,
Angel M.

nyc511
#14 Print Post
Posted on 05/11/15 - 9:57 AM

Much thanks, Angel. I'll have it pro installed and I'll keep the compass if I can. I don't need it given where I boat, but it came the way it is so if I can keep it that way, all the better! unfortunately, T-Tops just don't work well with the Montauks -- that would make my problems to easy to solve! Montauks are a dime a dozen here on LI, and I've been walking up and down the docks looking for examples, but don't see much to go by.

83MontaukGA
#15 Print Post
Posted on 05/11/15 - 11:12 AM

NYC511, if you are dead set on having an AM/FM radio then you can disregard this. I struggled with where to put the head unit and speakers on my Montauk (1984) and finally decided that the best bet was to get 2 Blue Tooth Speakers that are bridgable and run them off my phone. They have worked great so far around the house and what not. I will be giving them a try on the boat in a week or so. I went with 2 UE BOOM speakers. I think I am into them for around 300 total for the pair. They are small enough to stick anywhere, are water resistant and are LOUD. ALL pluses in my book. I also really like the fact that I don't have to drill anywhere on my boat and can take them with me if I goto the beach/pool etc.

dauntless-n-miami
#16 Print Post
Posted on 05/11/15 - 12:08 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

I think 83MontaukGA suggestion may be a practical solution nyc511. If your into the latest cell phone technology and music app's you should do well. Carry a phone charger on the Whaler and it's "fun in the sun" for you. I have seen a few Blue-Tooth speakers available that are water resistant and may possibly (with some thought) be attached to your console hand-rail if present. Just a thought for the interim...

Best,
Angel M.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 5:24 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 17
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,094,911 unique visits