View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Montauk cooler seat pad
Paulsv
#21 Print Post
Posted on 01/22/15 - 9:06 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

action wrote:
Has anyone used the cooler (and rod holder) cushions from Specialty Marine a sponsor here?

I replaced all of the cushions on my Montauk with cushions from Specialty Marine about 5 years ago and they are still going strong. They were good to deal with, and the cushions are pretty good. Not as original looking or as expensive as what Halls Nautical had. I replaced the "crook" with a straight piece of stainless railing, because the kids were hitting their shoulders on it when sitting on the cooler seat. Not hard to do, but I had to do a small bend on it. I can always throw the "crook" back on if I want to make it look original.

action
#22 Print Post
Posted on 01/22/15 - 2:30 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Their rod holder and cooler cushions are about $210. I'm leaning towards the Andersons for $300.

Whalerbob
#23 Print Post
Posted on 01/24/15 - 8:47 AM
Personal Page

Paulsv wrote:

I replaced the "crook" with a straight piece of stainless railing, because the kids were hitting their shoulders on it when sitting on the cooler seat. Not hard to do, but I had to do a small bend on it. I can always throw the "crook" back on if I want to make it look original.

I'm thinking about doing this as well. Is it at least equally as stable? I no longer use the original anchor light so I'm thinking I can probably cut that pole to fit and it already has slight bend as well.

Paulsv
#24 Print Post
Posted on 01/24/15 - 1:28 PM
Personal Page

Whalerbob wrote:
Paulsv wrote:

I replaced the "crook" with a straight piece of stainless railing, because the kids were hitting their shoulders on it when sitting on the cooler seat. Not hard to do, but I had to do a small bend on it. I can always throw the "crook" back on if I want to make it look original.

I'm thinking about doing this as well. Is it at least equally as stable? I no longer use the original anchor light so I'm thinking I can probably cut that pole to fit and it already has slight bend as well.

As far as I can tell, it is every bit as strong and stable. And it really made the cooler seat much more usable. The stainless railing is hard to bend. I made a jig to bend it in my vice without it collapsing. It only takes a bend of 15 degrees or so. It could probably be done with an electrician's conduit bender.

Whalerbob
#25 Print Post
Posted on 01/24/15 - 5:49 PM
Personal Page

The bend in the light pole looks to be almost exactly 15 degrees so that should work. How did you connect it? Did you tap/thread the new holes or through bolt or use rivets?

Paulsv
#26 Print Post
Posted on 01/25/15 - 3:04 PM
Personal Page

Whalerbob wrote:
The bend in the light pole looks to be almost exactly 15 degrees so that should work. How did you connect it? Did you tap/thread the new holes or through bolt or use rivets?

I drilled holes and used stainless steel self threading screws. Same as what was already there.

RonCaptn
#27 Print Post
Posted on 01/27/15 - 7:58 AM

Comments: 1

I also replaced the crook with a slightly bent piece. People like to ride in front on the cooler seat and don't like bumping their heads. Being a semi-redneck, I jacked up a corner of my car and slowly let it down until I had the bend that I wanted - only enough to clear the windshield with an inch to spare. I also replaced the top 3-way joint with an identical piece in stainless steel. The original was chrome-plated bronze. To do this, I had to cut the top bar. I reinforced it with a piece inside of it that I could also screw into. It looks original and perfect.

I also replaced the front rod holders with PVC of the same size to eliminate the fluted heads that also poked people sitting on the cooler.

My next project is to make some compartments out of teak behind the front seat back cushions, replacing the rod holder assemblies altogether. This will provide for a place on each side where small items can be stowed, such as sunscreen, wallets, tackle, etc. Got to get the table saw out again!
Ron, Clearwater, FL

action
#28 Print Post
Posted on 01/27/15 - 12:15 PM
Personal Page

I just ordered the 94 quart Igloo cooler from Lowes (must be picked up at a local store). Their price was $122 plus tax.

spuds
#29 Print Post
Posted on 01/28/15 - 8:16 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

A couple of thoughts and comments:

I replaced the cooler on my Outrage 18 with a new 94 qt. Igloo and seat cushion. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I had actually sat up front of the console, while my son drove the boat. I was disappointed at the density of the foam on the Igloo cushion. I just felt like it should have been a little denser to provide a bit of padding under your derriere. Does anybody know if anyone makes a denser snap on cooler cushion?

Secondly, my wife loves the shepherds crook while she is riding on the cooler cushion. She slips her arm through the crook while riding and gives her a very secure feeling that she has a good hold onto the boat. Now, I do not have rod holders behind the pads attached to the console to lean back on. So the seating position is a bit further back than original without the rod holders behind them. But it works great according to her. When I bought my boat, the previous owner had installed rod holders down low on both the port and starboard sides of the console. I like my rods located there, better than having them directly in front and in my view.

Lastly, the "Crook" is one of the iconic features of the classic Whalers! No way I'm going to remove that from my classic.

1985 Outrage 18

Finnegan
#30 Print Post
Posted on 01/28/15 - 11:41 AM

Comments: 16

For all Igloo cooler seats used in Whalers, you want the Halls/Anderson official OEM cushion. I have found them to be very comfortable. Others have also indicated the Igloo branded cushions are no good, plus they do not have the tan or white pleat material and do not match the other Whaler upholstery.

For 2nd generation Outrage owners, 18' and larger, I also HIGHLY recommend the Igloo 162 qt cooler seat instead of the regular 94qt size. This size is REALLY comfortable for two people, and has a better seating heigth as well, to say nothing of the much needed additional dry storage space. I have used this size in my Outrage 25 (see photo) since the boat was new in 1989, and also in my Ribside 21 and my Outrage 18.

Whaler furnished this size with the Super Console, which is where I got the idea, but I have found it works just as well in front of the standard console, especially if the console is raised 4".

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lgolt...1092735368

Try it, you will love it!

action
#31 Print Post
Posted on 01/28/15 - 1:42 PM
Personal Page

Thanks for the additional information. I have already decided to use Anderson cushions and received a quote from Tena. I also like the "crook".

My console had the wood strips that the rod holders fasten to, but not the actual rod holders. I plan to also get a pair of "rod holder cushions" from Anderson and was wondering how they would work without the rod holders there.

Whalermjr
#32 Print Post
Posted on 09/27/21 - 9:38 AM

I sell a "bolt in" interchangable replacement for the Shepherds Crook. It fits 1973 to 1995 Montauk 17 models. My design uses an elbow to make it L shaped. It looks great - as if Whaler made it. If you LOVE the Hook - keep it. If you HATE the Hook contact me. I discount for WC members who contact me directly.

MJR

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 8:12 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Crumfactor
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,024
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,097,421 unique visits