View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Is there a used Whaler market in CA?
aCAWhalerfan
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/28/14 - 1:10 PM

Comments: 0

Checking places like boattrader.com and yachtworld.com for a 190 Montauk shows no listings for CA (of any Boston Whaler for that matter, not just the Montauks). Why is that? Is the used market in CA that tight for inventory?

bottomline
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/28/14 - 6:49 PM

Craigslist

aCAWhalerfan
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/28/14 - 6:53 PM

bottomline wrote:
Craigslist

So, none of the 'traditional' marketing outlets (for that matter, Whaler Central) are resources for CA Whaler buyers?

It just seems so hit-or-miss.

gchuba
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/28/14 - 7:49 PM

Research, research, research. It takes a lot of work to acquire the hull you want.

Garris

aCAWhalerfan
#5 Print Post
Posted on 12/28/14 - 10:58 PM

gchuba wrote:
Research, research, research. It takes a lot of work to acquire the hull you want.

Garris

Sounds like there isn't much of a used market in NorCal for Whalers. With the shortage of inventory and the cost of researching being what it is (engine experts, hull experts and electronics experts don't work for free), used is starting to look like it isn't really an option on the west coast.

Walt Krafft
#6 Print Post
Posted on 12/28/14 - 11:37 PM

Try looking with http://www.searchtempest.com/

aCAWhalerfan
#7 Print Post
Posted on 12/28/14 - 11:45 PM

Walt Krafft wrote:

Thanks for the link. I tried searching for the following terms: "Boston Whaler 190 Montauk" for all of California, new or used, and got bupkis, nada, zip for a result.

Which goes back to my original question - why is the market so tight on the left coast?

boatdryver
#8 Print Post
Posted on 12/29/14 - 7:44 AM
Personal Page

Why is the market so tight in California?
(I live just north of San Francisco.)
Demand greatly exceeds supply. Whalers are all made on the East Coast. Our climate leads to year round use instead of winterization and indoor storage in the off season, so the few older Whalers that do come up for sale often have cosmetic flaws. Freshwater boats are rare out here, and many have bottom paint.

It took me 2 years to find a Montauk nice enough to buy. Then after a year of searching for an 18 Outrage I gave up and bought a new Whaler.

Incidentally, that has been a 190 Montauk with a 115 HP Mercury on the San Francisco Craigslist off and on for a year. It is in Aptos, near Monterrey

For fun, I go to Craigslist every day and search for Whalers

JimL

boatdryver
#9 Print Post
Posted on 12/29/14 - 8:23 AM
Personal Page

I meant to add that attractive used 13-22 ft Whalers, properly priced, sell quickly in the SF Bay area. If you are a serious buyer,its good to search every few days.

For example, 6 months ago I found a nice classic Montauk for a friend on Cragislist, texted him immediately. He was in his car 30 minutes from the boat. He immediately called the seller and made the deal over the phone subject to inspection. By the time he got to the boat 30 minutes later, the seller had received a full price offer by phone from a second party. The ad had been on Cragislist 2 hours.My friend is happy with his Montauk.

JimL

gchuba
#10 Print Post
Posted on 12/29/14 - 8:28 AM

I am like boatdryver and study Whalers on Craigslist. very often. What struck me about the 190 Montauk he speaks of (if it was the same one), it was several years old and was not a whole lot cheaper than new. If I was interested in that particular hull, the savings for used did not outweigh the warranty's purchasing new.

When I searched for my Revenge (have a 1979 22 ft) I would change my search commands "Whaler for sale California" "Whalers with cabin" "Used Whalers for sale California" , "Whaler Revenge" etc.... The different search command would tweak the list it supplied with some duplication. I put in phone calls to Whaler dealers and asked for leads. I believe the Outboard Motor Shop in Oakland CA has some used boats for sale. They pop up. Good luck

Garris

Jay Fitz
#11 Print Post
Posted on 12/29/14 - 10:05 AM
Personal Page

aCAWhalerfan wrote:
Walt Krafft wrote:

Thanks for the link. I tried searching for the following terms: "Boston Whaler 190 Montauk" for all of California, new or used, and got bupkis, nada, zip for a result.

Which goes back to my original question - why is the market so tight on the left coast?

Montauk 190's are not very common anywhere from what I can tell. I'm on CL in the NE a lot looking at the Whalers offered and only recently saw a Montauk 190. And there are a lot of Whalers listed in the NE.

Just did a search in SearchTemepest in Boats for "Montauk 190" within 400 miles of my area near Boston and got zero results. Searched "Montauk" and got tons....

aCAWhalerfan
#12 Print Post
Posted on 12/29/14 - 1:15 PM

gchuba wrote:
I am like boatdryver and study Whalers on Craigslist. very often. What struck me about the 190 Montauk he speaks of (if it was the same one), it was several years old and was not a whole lot cheaper than new. If I was interested in that particular hull, the savings for used did not outweigh the warranty's purchasing new.

When I searched for my Revenge (have a 1979 22 ft) I would change my search commands "Whaler for sale California" "Whalers with cabin" "Used Whalers for sale California" , "Whaler Revenge" etc.... The different search command would tweak the list it supplied with some duplication. I put in phone calls to Whaler dealers and asked for leads. I believe the Outboard Motor Shop in Oakland CA has some used boats for sale. They pop up. Good luck

Garris

That is the conclusion I am reaching. The market on the west coast is what it is. While there are a number of 190 Montauk Whalers being offered for sale all down the east coast, the cost to ship (~$3,000) is a hurdle that may be too high, as I doubt the dealers will be wanting to discount the sell price to offset the shipping expense. It looks like a new 190 Montauk is in my future.

Thank you to all who have participated in this thread.

Edited by aCAWhalerfan on 12/29/14 - 1:16 PM

FlyAU98
#13 Print Post
Posted on 12/29/14 - 6:35 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I bought my 1988 15' Super Sport in San Diego County. I found a number of Whalers available a few years ago, primarily though Craigslist, though the one I bought was listed on E-Bay. I didn't see much on Boat Trader either.

Orange County seemed to have the greatest collection (its also where the SOCAL Whaler dealer, Schock Boats, is located). I also found a number available in the Las Vegas area.

Beware, when I was looking, a good number of the advertised Whalers were scams. The main clue was vessel registration numbers not matching the state the boat was supposedly in. Everyone of them turned into some story about the owner being out the country and wiring money....

Good luck with the search. If you do go new, and end up buying from Schock Boats, Jim Hatch took very good care of me there.
http://www.schockboats.com/Page.aspx/...Staff.aspx

Edited by FlyAU98 on 12/29/14 - 6:49 PM

aCAWhalerfan
#14 Print Post
Posted on 12/29/14 - 9:15 PM

@FlyAU98 - Schock is down Newport Beach (SoCal) way. Oakland (Outboard Motor Shop) is considerably closer.

Thanks for the recommendation, though.

gchuba
#15 Print Post
Posted on 12/30/14 - 6:32 AM

If you are a member of Costco, they now offer Boston Whalers. I looked into it for fun. They give you a reference number to use and point you to a participating dealer. In my case it was the Outboard Motor Shop. I did not pursue it, just wondered how it worked. I found out about the program from a fellow who purchased his Whaler that way just chatting by the dock. If I recall he said he saved $3000 to $5000 compared to quotes he was getting by himself.

Garris

Edited by gchuba on 12/30/14 - 6:38 AM

docsoma
#16 Print Post
Posted on 12/30/14 - 7:22 AM
Personal Page

In 1993 I bought my 1991 13ft Super Sport Limited from Schock Boats in Newport Beach CA. Back then with zero experience I found my dealings with the broker to be very professional. My impression then and now is that upscale locations like Newport have many owners who trade up (possibly a few aging owners trade down) and relatively good deals are out there.

However "nutty" it may sound my impression is that one whaler owner might know others and chance conversations at a dock may yield info on owners looking to sell. Just recently while out whale watching I saw 3 whalers...2 Montauks and one dauntless.....newer hulls. As a personal matter I of course much prefer the classic hull shape.

Marc-B
#17 Print Post
Posted on 12/30/14 - 9:22 AM

One option is the canadian west coast around Vancouver, a lot closer than east coast US, one search site is autaotrader.ca and kijijji.ca

With a strong US dollar it could be worth the drive up, not sure of the challenges to bring back to US though.

aCAWhalerfan
#18 Print Post
Posted on 12/30/14 - 10:59 AM

gchuba wrote:
If you are a member of Costco, they now offer Boston Whalers. I looked into it for fun. They give you a reference number to use and point you to a participating dealer. In my case it was the Outboard Motor Shop. I did not pursue it, just wondered how it worked. I found out about the program from a fellow who purchased his Whaler that way just chatting by the dock. If I recall he said he saved $3000 to $5000 compared to quotes he was getting by himself.

Garris

Great suggestion! I hadn't even thought about Costco. Sometimes they have some great opportunities for savings. If nothing else, it is worth a look-see.

Thanks for the suggestion.

aCAWhalerfan
#19 Print Post
Posted on 12/30/14 - 11:03 AM

docsoma wrote:
In 1993 I bought my 1991 13ft Super Sport Limited from Schock Boats in Newport Beach CA. Back then with zero experience I found my dealings with the broker to be very professional. My impression then and now is that upscale locations like Newport have many owners who trade up (possibly a few aging owners trade down) and relatively good deals are out there.

However "nutty" it may sound my impression is that one whaler owner might know others and chance conversations at a dock may yield info on owners looking to sell. Just recently while out whale watching I saw 3 whalers...2 Montauks and one dauntless.....newer hulls. As a personal matter I of course much prefer the classic hull shape.

Possible. I will email Schock and see if they have any nearly new 190 Montauks looking for a good home. Worst case, they don't and I am back to Costco.

Another great suggestion. This is why I like forums such as Whaler Central soo much.

docsoma
#20 Print Post
Posted on 12/30/14 - 11:46 AM
Personal Page

The guy you want to talk to is Jim Hatch.....I just checked in case like me old yeller he was still around.....sure enough I don't think you can go wrong with a guy who has survived a quarter century or more in the business.....you rarely see that sort of longevity in the car business.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 1:24 AM
Users Online
Welcome
TDND2013
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,049
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,264,477 unique visits