View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
gas/water in fuel tank compartment
Doebs
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/16/14 - 4:00 PM

Comments: 0

The boat lives at a family cottage in a boat house on fresh water. It is a 1986 GTX open bow I/O. We just acquired it this spring. Last Friday my brother in law filled the gas tank up and on the ride back found gas in the bilge, maybe a few cups worth. Mechanic came today and replaced the fuel gauge or a connection to the gauge (I didn't speak directly to mechanic). He said it was corroded and that was where the leak was that allowed the gas to leak out. Not sure if he checked gas line for softness or if it needed replacement.The gas tank remains full according to gauge.

Brother in law was concerned about gas in tank area and mechanic advised he could flush it by running a hose into that area. Brother in law used buckets instead. Poured in 5 gallon buckets through the opening where the clear plastic goes over fuel gauge and got out 4. Then he called(after he had poured in the water on mechanics say so) to let us know he's worried that it still smells of gas and is afraid to use boat. Mechanic doesn't seam at all concerned and says its fixed and fine to use. Mechanic has a good reputation but not sure how much he knows about whalers. Not many whalers in the NY finger lakes bigger than 11 or 13's.

Owner's manual for GTX says there is an outlet from gas tank area to bilge area and since gas and water went into the bilge that seems to be true, although it doesn't seem to drain all the liquid since there is a bucket worth of water missing. From my forum research it seems that the classic outrage gas tank area didn't have a drain to the bilge. GTX is an outrage hull and since it was only around a few years and not popular I haven't found much specific to the GTX I/O. GTX I/O has a much smaller gas tank than an Outrage though, so I think set up could be different.

I won't be back to cottage for 3 weeks and I want to reassure brother in law that he won't blow up if he starts the boat. He still smells gas. He is also a bit of an alarmist and new to motor boats. I don't know how bad the gas smell is and he's judging with the clear plastic cover over the fuel tank gauge removed. Also he hasn't turned on blower, if that matters.

Do I need to worry about the missing bucket of water? Do I need to worry about whether there is still gas in tank area or foam. Based on guess of amount in tank prior to fill up and number of gallons purchased we think the gas leak probably involved less than a gallon of gas but exact amount unknown due to no exact number of gallons remaining in tank at the time it was filled. Could my brother in law be right? If I was there I think I'd just trust the boat mechanic and start the boat.

I was all excited to work on this boat's restoration, which is mainly fiberglass stress cracks and new upholstery. It was repowered in 2008 and motor is in good condition per mechanic. I know little about motorboats, mostly I'm a sailor and have done plenty of fiberglass repairs. It is the foam that is causing me concern even though the owner's manual says it doesn't absorb gas I'm skeptical since it clearly can hold water. I'm hoping someone will confirm that I don't need to take the cover off the tank, rip out foam etc to make the boat safe again. This is what my brother in law thinks may need to be done before it can be used again.

I'm looking for some experienced motor boater advice. A tank rip out wasn't in my summer plans. Thanks in advance for any advice.

VA Whaler
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/16/14 - 6:35 PM
Personal Page

We own a 1983 GTX-18 I/O and I have done all the maintenance on the boat since the mid 90s. I can tell you that there is a channel from the gas tank compartment to the engine's bilge. Likely the boat would have to be at a pretty steep angle to get the last gallon out of the gas tank compartment. It was designed to contain the fuel in the event that you had a gas leak. My guess is there was some standing water in there to begin with.

I cannot say for sure how much fluid the gas tank compartment will hold as I have not taken the tank out of ours. I have removed the deck in order to replace the filler hose, the vent hose and the gas line to the engine. It seriously was not a big deal.

You don't want to mess with gas vapors and without inspecting the gas tank compartment, who knows how much fuel is there or what kind of shape the tank is in. I would at the least recommend removeing the deck and giving the tank and compartment a through inspection. You can only tell so much from the two access covers in the deck.

After removing the deck hopefully you and your brother will have the peace of mind to enjoy the rest of the summer rather than having that nagging feeling that something might be wrong. Be sure to get youself some sealer for when you put the deck back in place.

John

kamie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/16/14 - 7:52 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Have the fill and vent hoses ever been replaced? 1986 is pre-ethanol rated fuel lines, I would replace those if you smell gas. I would also run a hose and flood the rigging tunnel and across the top of the tank, then open all the access ports and let is dry out. If there is still a smell of gas once it's fully flushed and dry I would pull the tank cover.

Walt Krafft
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/16/14 - 10:03 PM

I would figure out a way to pressure test the system to see if there really is a leak before changing a lot of things.

awayland
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/14 - 3:55 AM
Personal Page

You should always use the blower, 1st thing you turn on when you get to the boat. Run for blower 5 minutes before you start the engine especially after fueling. also open engine hatch to let more fumes out.

As for the smell of fuel in the bilge there is a product called bilge wash, smells like orange peel. You dump it in and agitate it with a hose and add water. It emulsifies any fuel or oil in the bilge and can be rinsed out. That cavity under your tank will probably drain once under way and you will need to wash it out a few times to completely get rid of it.

I have never seen a GTX but I just pressure tested a tank in a 16SL. I disconnected the vent hose at the vent end and hose clamped a pressure gauge in it. Then removed the fuel line from the motor and clamped a tire valve in that end. Pumped air in to 5 pounds with a small 12 volt compressor and it held for 2 days. I have no leaks. Once pressurized remove the filler cap to let the air escape do not do it from the tire valve it will just spew fuel.

1970 custom 16 with 1999 Merc 2 stroke 90hp

Phil T
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/14 - 6:55 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

You need to do a full inspection on a new-to you boat prior to using it. Regardless of what the prior owner said they did. Especially if it is a "family" boat. Just because a mechanic changed a part does not mean he "solved" the problem.

If it has the fuel smell, do NOT use it till it is accurately diagnosed and fixed.

There is always at least one story in the media each year of a boat exploding after filling up or while underway due to a fuel leak.

You don't want to pour water into the fuel tank cavity since it will not completely drain. You want to lift the inspection ports and let the water/moisture evaporate. You also need to dispose of the gas/oily bilge water properly and not dump in the lake or ground.

Check/Replace the fuel fill, vent and feed hoses. They should be alcohol resistant.

FWIW, The GTX is an Outrage 18 hull with a different liner and cap. It also has the I/O well and modified fuel tank cavity.

Have your brother in law and other family who will operate the boat register here and do some reading to learn more about your fabulous boat.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 8:55 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 22
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,085,723 unique visits