View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1996 Outrage 19' fishlocker drains and thru hull fittings
otwz
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/03/14 - 11:53 PM

Comments: 0

The thru hull fitting in the Fish locker on starboard side is leaking. Anyone have recommendations on use of BW replacement part(plastic) or brass, SS, Bronze etc ? Boat use is in salt water.

ALSO: Side drain(meltwater) from Starboard fish locker does not work. The meltwater drains in both lockers are located in the vertical wall on the Side towards the centerline....... not on the rear wall. Chuck at BW said the only drawings they have show the meltwater drains in the rear vertical wall. The port side locker drain works but I can not find any sign of a Pipe to carry water towards the fuel tank area but that's where the water comes out in the bilge in the rear (under the fuel tank)
The starboard meltwater drain didn't work so upon investigating I found only FOAM inside the hole where water should drain out through. The port meltwater drain works but it ALSO has only foam 'path' for water to travel in but apparently has some kind of path that is open.
Water stands in the starboard locker and None of it drains so I guess it's not getting into the hull.......

Anyone ever heard of this issue of Configuration of drains?

Suggestions ????

Thanks,

Marty

Marty
1996 Outrage 19' III, 200 Yamaha

whalerman
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/14 - 7:35 AM

Comments: 5

Hey, what I would do is convert your set-up to what the DWG's show. If you have the set-up that I think you have as explained, then you want to plug the holes that have the foam with WEST SYSTEM 610, which is a thickened epoxy that should stay in the hole till cured, you may want to use a tongue depresser and fish line to make a "dam" to keep from having it run out or sag. Drill a 3/8" hole in the rear vertical wall, if memory serves it's 3/8", for the melt water. I have the 2000 OUTRAGE 18 which has the two fish boxes in the deck as yours. I use rubber stoppers in the 3/8" drain holes when I don't want the water to drain into the bilge area, Ace hardware has them. Good luck and tight lines!!!

PS. The drains thru the hull you can get from Sue at Twin Cities as they are current parts. Once you get the new ones in the mail you will see how they go together, real easy to do I changed all of mine from the anchor locker back to the transom.

Edited by whalerman on 07/05/14 - 8:02 AM
THOM : 1999 Outrage 18, 2012 E-TEC 150, 2012 EZ Loader trailer

otwz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/14 - 6:23 PM

whalerman wrote:
Hey, what I would do is convert your set-up to what the DWG's show. If you have the set-up that I think you have as explained, then you want to plug the holes that have the foam with WEST SYSTEM 610, which is a thickened epoxy that should stay in the hole till cured, you may want to use a tongue depresser and fish line to make a "dam" to keep from having it run out or sag. Drill a 3/8" hole in the rear vertical wall, if memory serves it's 3/8", for the melt water. I have the 2000 OUTRAGE 18 which has the two fish boxes in the deck as yours. I use rubber stoppers in the 3/8" drain holes when I don't want the water to drain into the bilge area, Ace hardware has them. Good luck and tight lines!!!

PS. The drains thru the hull you can get from Sue at Twin Cities as they are current parts. Once you get the new ones in the mail you will see how they go together, real easy to do I changed all of mine from the anchor locker back to the transom.

Thanks for your reply.

Is that Twincitiesmarine.com ?
Do you have phone # ?
Can you email or post the DWG you mentioned. Not sure I can drill holes as described.
The elevation of bottom of Fish locker is below the bottom of the lockers directly rear of fishlockers.
The depth of the fishlockers is the same as the depth of the fuel tank so the drains were supposed to drain to the tank area and then sternward but BW rep says they have No drawings that show this configuration.

Regards,

Marty

Marty

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/14 - 6:30 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Twin Cities Marine link is in the upper right sidebar under "Sponsors".

gchuba
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/14 - 6:46 AM

What is a "melt water/meltwater" drain? The term is new to me.

Garris

whalerman
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/14 - 7:41 AM

Comments: 5

I tried looking for your hull in the DWG's on Boston Whaler site but, the cut off date was 1998, so no help there. Well maybe: go to that site and get to the DWG's and look at the 1998 model to see if that looks like what you have or not. If you can take some pictures of the drains that you have and post them, we can see the problem. Sue at Twin Cities may send you a copy of the DWG's that they may have, just a thought. The melt water should not go to the fuel tank as you describe, should go thru the aft vertical bulkhead and I think it's a piece of StarBoard that is fastened to the boxes.
Garris- the melt water drain is just that, it allows you to drain the ice water to the bilge and get pumped out as bilge water so you do not have to open the drain in the bottom of the fish box while underway to drain the ice water.

Edited by whalerman on 07/09/14 - 7:45 AM
THOM : 1999 Outrage 18, 2012 E-TEC 150, 2012 EZ Loader trailer

gchuba
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/14 - 8:14 AM

Whalerman, thanks. I have a 1979 22' Revenge. My fish locker is below deck. I just looked up images for the 1996 19' Outrage and see that there are starboard and port fish lockers/storage at the transom that are above deck height. When reading the earlier posts (and thinking about my boats lay out) I am "....where would a 3/8" drain be if everything is below deck..." duh!

Garris

otwz
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/15 - 5:44 PM

UPDATE:
When I developed a pinhole leak in the fuel tank about 3" from rear of tank I had to pull up center console and deck plate to remove tank. Since I do not need 100 gallons of gas I took it to a welding shop and they cut it off 36" for approx. 75 gallon tank. and welded a new end on it and relocated the fuel pickup to be near the sending unit hatch.
Then they took the 36" dropped part and cut it to 22" long and welded a new end on it and cut out the top.
We then reinstalled both parts in original location which made the rear of the new compartment stop forward of where the meltwater drains exited the wall of the tank compartment in the fuel tank depression area.
The original design put the meltwater exiting in the 1/4" space on the sides of the fuel tank. This small space prevented use of most any kind of drain tube so I guess the idea was for the water to run through the foam passageway BUT the Starboard drain was closed up by foam !
I drilled the passage way out and installed 3/4" Aluminum threaded pipe and put threaded rings on each end with O-rings and sealant.
The drains Work Now !!
We ran new hoses for all fuel lines and relocated the fuel filter from the bilge (you had to do a headstand to replace filter) to the new compartment. After we reinstalled deck plate we then cut in a new hatch over the top hole in the new compartment. It is the driest compartment on the boat now and the Stainless filter is Great, no more corrosion on fuel filter or body !
Plus, with the fuel more forward the boat rides more bow down and much better.

I THINK we won this battle but we do not expect to win the War on boat maintenance but we're ready.

Marty

Marty

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 5:15 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 20
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,081,531 unique visits