View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Bought my first Whaler, a Super Sport 130. Almost got swamped first time out!
FspartaA
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/23/14 - 12:43 PM

Comments: 0

Hi guys, my first post here although I've been reading up on this great little forum for a while.

I just picked up our freshly ordered 2014 Boston Whaler Super Sport 130 last month and it was time to take her out on her maiden voyage last weekend.

My wife and I took her out from the Channel Islands harbor and cruised around the harbor for a couple hours to break-in the Mercury 40HP according to the dealer. We took her out to the break wall area for a little bit, when we were out there a Motor yacht flew by us creating a huge wake. The wave crashed over our transom and filled the boat up with about a foot of water. I admit I panicked, since we were just out testing the boat, I didn't bring anything to bail the water out. The foot of water just splashed around inside the hull, I read somewhere to pull the plug and gas her to get the water out. So I told my wife to give her some gas but the boat struggled to get on plane with that much water inside, it just kinda porpoise with the nose all the way up and the engine trimmed all the way down, I couldn't get the nose to level out. I pulled the plug and MORE water started gushing in, I seriously thought we were going to capsize!

I finally found a plastic bag and an empty Pepsi bottle which I used as a makeshift bailer and went to work. I finally got most of the water out after about 20 minutes but that was quite a nerve racking experience.

After coming home I'm seriously thinking about installing a bilge pump, anybody have one on a smaller Whaler? I'm pretty sure it will stick out like a sore thumb because there is no where to hide it. I've never had to deal with this kind of situation before because our Seaswirl Striper 2301 has a self bailing hull and 3 bilge pumps.

How would you experience smaller Whaler owners deal with a situation like this, where a big wave would nearly swamp your craft?

billjnh
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/23/14 - 1:32 PM

my whaler 13 has a bilge pump.

jvz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/23/14 - 3:34 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

Always have a hand pump on board!

...and when applicable, always bow in....

http://www.iboats.com/Manual-Hand-Bilge-Pumps/dm/cart_id.542402793--session_id.025008883--view_id.217443

Edited by jvz on 06/23/14 - 3:36 PM

kamie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/23/14 - 4:39 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

A swamped boat can be hard to control, it can react much differently than a boat with no water sloshing around the deck. First, always wear your PFD's , as you have discovered a 13 foot boat can feel very small, even a whaler. I would also practice pulling the plug in calm water, so you get a feel for how much water will come in during calm conditions. It may be advisable to add a bilge pump, to remove the water faster than using the scuppers alone.

FishinSam
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/23/14 - 5:34 PM
Personal Page

Turn into big wakes. Have bilge pump. Bailing gear is required where I live.
I have 2 pumps. 1 500 on a float switch and one 700 I inherited on its own manual switch. Total overkill but what good is equipment that isn't installed and maintained.
Hope that doesn't shy you away from small boats... They either didn't see you or were being "you-know-whats"... Pretty scary either way.

"All the Rage"
1992 Rage Jet 14ft

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 7:00 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Crumfactor
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,024
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,096,330 unique visits