View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Montauk 17 Steering Locked
Robdogsboats
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/14 - 7:06 PM

Comments: 0

1992 Montauk, Mariner 90 2S, Safe-T-Steer system. Just getting her out for the first time this year and steering locked. I'm going to disconnect cable nut at motor in the morning to isolate if it's cable or engine side problem. Planning to use heat gun, 2x4 and gravity wrench ( big ass hammer). Any other suggestions?
Planning to grease all the zircs to death tonight also.
Rob

Graham Jones
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/19/14 - 10:43 AM

Hello,

There's several things on YouTube, but this is the best I've seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAkwfo6cQJk

Graham

Phil T
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/19/14 - 11:48 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

See FAQ #4

http://www.whalercentral.com/faq.php?...p?cat_id=4

Whalerbob
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/19/14 - 6:39 PM
Personal Page

Heat the exposed part of the rod with a torch and try to pound it with a hammer / mallet. Once you have it moving and the end is flush with the end off the tube you can use a 12" x 1/2" piece of round stock metal to punch it the rest of the way through.

If that doesn't work you may need to replace the tilt tube and cable, much more work and money. If you do get it out make sure you clean and grease the inside of the tube real good. I use one of those plumbers wire brushes on the end of an electric drill to core the inside of the tube out.

Robdogsboats
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/19/14 - 8:36 PM

Thanks all! Put a torch to it and a 5lb hammer/wood and she sloooowwwlly gave in. Working 90% better! a little binding at hard over.

Finnegan
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/23/14 - 3:25 PM

Comments: 16

Your situation is common on Mercs, because the O-ring steering rod seal is not accessible without pulling the steering out, and maybe even needing to remove the engine from the boat to do so.

Rather than repeat again the whole process on Mercury engines, do a search here for "Mercury" and "Steersman" and you will find out what needs to be done.

Whalerbob
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/14 - 4:12 AM
Personal Page

If you haven't done so already you need to clean out the inside of the tube or it will happen again. There's probably a better tool for the job but I bought a long metal pipe cleaner in the plumbing section at home depot. I had to squish it down with a pliers to make it fit in the tube but I connected it to an electric drill and bored it out, WD40 helps loosen the crud. I then use a dowel, and paper towel to push all the crap out. Use a good lube with anti corrosive properties before reinstalling and that should last a couple years.

Finnegan
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/14 - 1:43 PM

Comments: 16

To really fix it right, and permanently, you need to:

1. rent an engine hoist for $30/day and unbolt the engine from the boat. I don't think you can remove the steering ram from the engine on a Montauk without doing so.

2. Disconnect the link arm and unscrew the cable for the starboard side of the engine tilt tube. Then pull the entire steering cable out.

3. Clean the inside of tilt tube as WhalerBob describes. A 16 ga shotgun cleaning kit also works well.

4. remove (dig out) the Mercury O-ring inside the port end of the tilt tube and discard. Do not install another!

5. Remove the Mercury port tilt tube nut, and replace with the previously purchased 1" SS Steersman grease zerk nut. (it might be wise to first break loose the port tilt tube nut before hanging the engine - this can be difficult and requires large wrenches)

6. Grease the steering ram and re-install, and re-bolt engine to boat. Hook up link rod, and pump grease into the Steersman nut.

You now have a sealed system that will not let dirt and salt into the tube, and with a now easily replaceable o-ring in the Steersman nut. Clean and regrease once a year by sllding the nut off the steering ram and replacing the seal. By removing the original Mercury seal inside the tilt tube, you can now clean and work grease into the tube at any time without removing the engine, etc.

You can see my installation here on this Merc 150:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lgolt...8987082867

Properly serviced, this Steersman nut will eliminate steering lockup permanently.

I also use these on my side mount, tilt tube mounted hydraulic steering cylinders, with same excellent results.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 7, 2024 - 6:03 PM
Users Online
Welcome
jshllen1980
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 17
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,059
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,308,394 unique visits