View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Drainplug- Inside or Outside
Grubbster
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/14 - 5:51 PM

Comments: 0

My first Boston Whaler & my first post here. Recently picked up a 2004 Boston Whaler 180 Ventura. Awesome boat, we love it!

The question is about the drain plug, the rubber stopper with the T-handle screw. I installed it from the outside. Seemed reasonable.

A friend suggested that it be installed from inside the bilge. His reasoning was that debris on the Ohio River where we operate could pull it loose. Also, said that if it came loose, it would be in the bilge vs. outside. Third reason was that if it came out we could drain the bilge by running on plane.

Friend is a well-respected delivery captain. Sounded a little funny to me. Was wondering what the consensus was from the Whaler experts.

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/14 - 6:03 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

No question about it.
No matter where anyone boats.

INSIDE

SENC
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/14 - 8:10 AM

Always been inside.

gary0319
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/14 - 1:02 PM
Personal Page

Well......,

On my Dauntless 15 the bilge access is really crowded and a pain in the hand to get into. I use a flip handle plug and install it from the outside with the handle flipped to the rear. So far, so good in the last 2 years, don't even have any weeds on it when drifting the skinny. For the first few months I owned the boat I ran it with no plug at all and the only problem was getting some water in the stern with 3 people back there, so if the plug falls out, no big deal.....Whalers are sink proof!

Gary

1998 Dauntless 15 - 1998 Mercury 60

Whalerbob
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/12/14 - 8:08 PM
Personal Page

After 19 years of owning the same 17 Montauk about 2 years ago I changed to plugging from the outside and I'm very pleased.

When I had my 13 I could reach the plug from the helm to drain if needed but I don't think I've ever needed to do that in the Montauk. I trailer so the benefit for me it's easy to visually inspect before launching and pull when I'm done without climbing into the boat. I have it tired to my steering cable via a small line so it will never get lost. In a pinch I think I could reach over the transom to pull it but after 2 years of doing it this way I've never needed to.

Why not plug from the outside? You never see larger boats plug from the inside, besides, it's an unsinkable legend Smile

northeastern
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/13/14 - 5:25 AM
Personal Page

I'd be worried of something hitting the plug on the outside. I keep my Montauk on a dock in a river with a fast current and I know every time I'd return to the boat the plug would have stuff caught around it. My transducer almost always does. Also when under way you're movement is working towards pulling the plug out and away from the boat, not seeing it'll happen but over time you never know

But I did have buddy knock my plug out trying to pump train out before I installed a bilge and even with two people standing back there not much water entered.

Grubbster
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/14 - 1:37 AM

Thanks for all the replies. As it turns out, the geometry is such that I can't insert the plug from the inside. We're in a protected marina, so I can't see it coming loose at the dock. I suppose I'll carry a spare in case we lose it while running.

Whalerbob
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/19/14 - 6:46 PM
Personal Page

Definitely keep a spare or two. Especially in salt water they will eventually wear out.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 4:52 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 2
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,094,454 unique visits