View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Dauntless 160: Did I Get a Good Deal?
Shleprock
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/14 - 9:42 PM

Comments: 0

Hello Guys- I just purchased my first Whaler. It is 2003 Dauntless 160 with a 2002 115 Mercury Saltwater with trailer. The boat came out of the Detroit area. The guy was asking $14,500 and I offered $11,500. He came back with a $12,500 price and told him I would like to see it. The boat appeared to be in good shape.

During the sea trial I noticed a few things. The first few times he tried to start the engine, there seemed to be an ever so slight hesitation to turn over. Starter? It did start fine though after a few tries. The steering is a concern. It seems very difficult to turn the motor. Especially to the left for some reason. I was surprised how much the steering wheel has to work to turn the motor in any direction. Is this typical?

Another thing is that after idling in gear for about five minutes, the engine sputtered some when we punched it. The boat idles at a speed that is too fast to troll (I like to fish). When I dropped the idle, the engine would die out. The seller told me he changed the plugs this year.

I did buy the boat, and I do love the looks of it and its reputation. I have always owned I/O's so I know very little about these big ole two strokes. Should I be concerned about any of the symptoms I have mentioned above regarding the engine? Is the 115 Mercury a good choice?

Thanks for your input guys. I have spent alot time reading the posts here and I figured it's time to become a member. I have many other questions!

(corrected name to Dauntless 160)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 06/07/14 - 10:21 PM

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/14 - 7:03 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I am not that familiar with prices in the East but it does seem like a fair price.

Congratulations on your purchase.

dauntless-n-miami
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/14 - 11:31 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Hello and congratulations on the purchase. During the purchase did the previous owner ever mention doing a carburator cleaning or rebuild work? Shleprock do you now how fresh the fuel is can you ask the previous owner when he filled last and which type of fuel was he using, Ethanol (E10) or Rec-90 (Non-Ethanol). Ethanol fuel (E10) causes many problems and if left unused with no additive...bad.

From what I researched your motor is a 4 cylinder and carburated. Your description of the sputter and low idle/stall issue may be fuel related. If your handy and you don't mind DIY projects acquire a Mercury shop manual for your motor and familiarize your self with the workings of your motor and it's fuel delivery. It may be as simple as a filter change (remote location or engine mounted). If the Carb float-bowl drain srcrews are accessible you may be able to check for contaminated fuel (presence of water or debris).

The 115 Merc Saltwater series appear to have a good following amongst their owners, so it appears your in good company as far as boat forum inquiries go.

You got yourself a nice boat Shleprock the price is excellent. I paid a bit more for my 1996 Dauntless 15 some short years ago but, the previous owner had done some major upgrades throughout 2007 including a newly rigged 2007 Yamaha 90 2 Stroke with factory warranty and transferable along with extendible to a second owner. I couldn't resist...I purchased my Dauntless around August/September of 2008 if I recall.

Happy boating to you and look into the bad fuel possibility.

Angel M.

1996 Dauntless 15, Sportsman Pkg. - 2007 Yamaha 90 HP 2-Stroke

gary0319
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/14 - 12:55 PM
Personal Page

Congrats on your Dauntless purchase. Mine is a 1998 15 footer and, as Dauntless in Miami knows, I love it, . Mine has a 1998 Mercury 60 2 stroke and if I don't let it get good an warm before I punch it, in runs ragged for the first few hundred rpms, but then cleans up, jumps on plane and is good for the remainder of the day. After the warm up the motor starts with just a bump on the key. Mine idles at about 700 rpm and never quits on me.

I'd check the fuel as has been mentioned and you might try adding some Mercury QuickKleen fuel additive, it helped clean my Merc up when I first got it.

Welcome,

Gary

1998 Dauntless 15 - 1998 Mercury 60

butchdavis
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/14 - 4:54 PM

When the engine on a Dauntless 16 is trimmed in too far when the boat is on plane it can be difficult to steer. If steering is difficult at low speeds there could be a problem with the steering cable.

Butch

Shleprock
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/14 - 8:52 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. The previous owner did state that the fuel was stabilized. There was 1/4 tank when I took it home and the first thing I did is top it off with fresh fuel. I have only taken it once since the test trial and it still seemed to sputter a bit after punching it from an idle speed. I'm still learning the behavior of the motor so it may be normal after all. I will look into the carb though.

As for the steering, I am still a little concerned. I just sold a 21ft Trophy with an I/O that steered with no issue. This is my first boat with a large outboard. WHen the boat is on plane at an easy speed, the steering really seems requires some muscle. It does seem to have less resistance when turning left than right. The steering cable may need to be looked at.

The boat itself is awesome. The deck feels like walking on concrete! I love the fact that I can confidently trailer the boat to so many waterways around my home. Next purchase.... Minn Kota I Pilot!

John
New Buffalo, Mi

Phil T
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/14 - 6:11 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

John-

With most medium and large outboard motors, there is tilt and trim. The trim feature raises the engine in fine adjustments to change the attitude of the boat for best performance.

When at hull speed, tuck the motor all the way "down" or "in". After reaching a plane and your desired speed, you adjust engine trim "out" to lower the bow. Watch your GPS speed, as you increase trim, the speed will rise without changing throttle. When you see your speed drop with more trim back off a bit. You will also notice the steering feel get light when properly set.

Too much trim leads to porpoising.

Edited by Phil T on 06/11/14 - 6:11 AM

butchdavis
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/14 - 6:22 AM

Great advice from Phil.

There are no similarities between I/O and outboard steering feel. Many I/Os have power steering just like that on automobiles. Once you become used to "dialing in" the outboard trim on your Dauntless you'll enjoy it more.

Often, when it requires more effort to turn in one direction than the other, the engine trim tab/anode on the bottom of the anti-ventilation plate needs adjustment. Your engine operators manual should show how it is done.

I know you'll enjoy your Dauntless. I liked my about as well as any boat I've owned or operated. I miss it.

Butch

northeastern
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/14 - 6:40 PM
Personal Page

I'd say that's a solid buy. Steering cables are not overly complicated if some work has to be done your not looking at a world of hurt in my opinion. As for the engine symptoms you mentioned you could have the engine looked over by a mechanic, maybe have the carbs cleaned and see what the guy has to say if it concerns you at all at least then you'd know.

I recently bought a older montauk with a 1997 65hp suzuki and I've been going over the outboard myself (i know nothing about outboards besides theories I learned in engineering courses...), and am slowly working through things. Only "problem" I've run into has been fuel line related but it is nice to know when the last time regular maintenance has been done, things like cleaning the carbs or checking the fuel lines for any cracks/pinches ect...

wing15601
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/14 - 9:11 PM

When you turn the wheel to the right, the steering cable end sticks out of the steering tube on the engine. Conversely when you turn to the left the cable end is all the way inside the steering tube. When it's sticking out do you see rust or is it bright shiny metal? On the side of the engine steering tube where the end of the cable goes in and out, is there a nut with a grease fitting? If there is no grease fitting there, go to your marine supply and tell them what kind of engine you have and that you want that nut with the grease fitting. Keep the cable end well lubricated and it'll last a lot longer. Those other grease fittings on the front of that steering tube are not for the cable, they're for the tilt tube.

Edited by wing15601 on 06/11/14 - 9:11 PM
I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

Flounder
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/14 - 9:59 PM
Personal Page

wing15601 wrote:
If there is no grease fitting there, go to your marine supply and tell them what kind of engine you have and that you want that nut with the grease fitting. Keep the cable end well lubricated and it'll last a lot longer. Those other grease fittings on the front of that steering tube are not for the cable, they're for the tilt tube.

Does anyone remember the brand name of this nut? I cannot recall it anymore.

Tom Hemphill
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/12/14 - 4:05 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Steersman Steering Guard (see http://steersman.com/).

Flounder
#13 Print Post
Posted on 06/12/14 - 7:30 PM
Personal Page

Tom Hemphill wrote:
Steersman Steering Guard (see http://steersman.com/).

That's it! They're local to me.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 3:34 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 18
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,079,364 unique visits