View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Mercury introduces brand new lightweight 4-strokes
Finnegan
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/14 - 8:23 PM

Comments: 16

I just noticed this announcement:

"Mercury Marine proudly announces the release of the all-new 75-115 FourStrokes. This new outboard platform is naturally aspirated, featuring multi-port fuel injection (EFI), and displacing an impressive 2.1 liters in all in-line 4-cylinder configuration. Despite its large, 2.1L displacement, it is still extremely compact and light, making it extremely versatile in single or twin engine applications for 12'-24'. These new models are versatile enough to ensure top performance and efficiency from the lightest technical flats skiffs to the heavier saltwater offshore hulls and pontoons."

It is evidently a brand new block, and the engines look similar to the recent, highly popular Mercury 150 EFi 4-stroke. From the photo I saw, they are really nice looking and compact in profile. 2.1 liters is a lot of displacement for these HP levels, up form the previous 1.7 liters.

Weight is shown to only be 359#. They are indicating that at this weight, the 115's are the lightest 115's on the market, and even lighter than the 375# 115 E-tec and Optimax 2-strokes. they are 8 valve, SOHC.

The 115's are also available in counter rotation.

These engines should be showing up on the Whaler 170 Montauks soon. These engines are a full 40# lighter than the previous models, which many thought were too heavy. They are only a "battery weight" heavier than the Evinrude 90 2-stroke, and have 33% more displacement.

It is encouraging to see the new engine platforms continuously coming out of Fond du Lac. We can clearly compete with, and outperform, the Japanese brands when this country puts it's resources to it.
Mercury remains #1 in worldwide outboard sales, followed by Yamaha. The others are a distant 3rd 4th and 5th.

sraab928
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/16/14 - 3:58 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

I saw that announcement yesterday as well - the 90 was long overdue in my opinion - I'm glad to see it slimmed down. The 115 being the same weight makes it quite attractive and its great to see it offered in a counter rotating model.

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

Phil T
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/16/14 - 6:11 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

This is good news for members who are considering re-powering and are conscious of weight requirements.

More choices are good!

tedious
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/16/14 - 9:55 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

How does this displacement compare to the earlier Mercury 90 4-stroke? Presumably a displacement gain by using an unsleeved block?

The elimination of the bulky and heavy iron sleeve is one of the most interesting innovations - it will be interesting as we see it trickle down to the lower HP applications where the displacement vs. weight gains will be even more pronounced.

Tim

Silentpardner
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/16/14 - 6:01 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

My Yamaha 4.2 L blocks don't have sleeves either, and there are already a LOT of them building hours with no problems related to this lack of iron so far. I bet this technology will soon be industry wide.

seahorse
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/17/14 - 7:29 AM

Comments: 0

Question:

Are these new motors built in China or in the USA?

Finnegan
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/14 - 3:06 PM

Tedious: The current Merc 75-115 4-strokes use the overbuilt L-4 Verado block, which is 1.7 liters, and can produce up to 200 HP supercharged. So the new platform has a larger displacement block, which seems to be the trend with both Mercury and Yamaha for the naturally aspirated 4-strokes. A 90 horse engine with 2 liters displacement should be a powerhouse!

As to where they are built I have no information at all. But since the current 75-115's are built in Fond du Lac, I would think the new platform would be also. There has not been any news or indication of Mercury clsoing operations in WI and shipping jobs to China. conversely, I keep hearing that Mercury is expanding in Fond du Lac.

Only the 4-stroke 40-60's are ASSEMBLED in China, but those powerheads and most parts come from here, I believe.

Since Boston Whaler will most likely be one of the first Brunswick companies to start installing these new engines, such as the 90 on the 170 Montauks, they may be able to show us some early performance indications. I'll bet that 90 is going to put out at least 100 HP!

I found a picture of the new engines here:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-f...tform.html

Are these new lighter weight 4-strokes, now by both Mercury and the Japanese, eventually going to cause the end of the conventional 2-stroke 90's and 115's?

ritzyrags
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/14 - 3:14 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 36

Any quote on ballpark figure prices?

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

jharrell
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/14 - 6:07 PM
Personal Page

Interesting and should have plenty of torque but still overweight for a 75/90 since the Suzuki is 341lbs and the E-TEC 321lbs but will compete well in the 115 range.

Crazy that there is over 100 lbs spread between 60hp and 75hp, they really should have done a lighter block between the 60 and 115, but at least it's not 400 lbs any more.

Finnegan
#10 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/14 - 7:53 PM

The way I see it, 21# over the weight of a 3 cylinder DFI Evinrude 2-stroke for the 4 cylinder Suzuki, or 39# for the 4 cylinder Mercury 90, is literally insignificant. Out the door pricing is definitely more important to many, for example. Other factors in boat loading, such as battery placement, type of prop (SS vs Alum), water in hull, cooler loading and placement, jackplate use, etc. can all be more significant than a measly extra 39# of engine weight. Two stroke oil under the cowl offsets the crankcase oil in a 4-stroke. Even an old Montauk hull can easily handle this weight.

At the 115 HP level, it's the lightest weight 115 you can now buy, even though it's a 4-stroke, and weighs the same as Mercury's previous 4 cylinder 2 + 2 conventional 2-strokes.

A pair of these could be nice offshore power for a classic 22, either notched transom or Whaler Drive version.

paddlepicker
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/14 - 6:51 PM
Personal Page

Just re-powered my 2004 Boston Whaler Dauntless 160 with one of the new Mercury 115 four stroke in late May 2014. When I first ordered the motor well over a month ago, my local dealer didn't know anything about a new version. A week later, they told me the motors were out of stock and I was going to get the latest model as soon as they could get there hands on one. In short, I was lucky to get a new model and would have been very disappointed if I had re-powered with last year's heavier model, especially on a smaller boat like my 160.

Sold my 2004 90 hp two stroke for $1,800 cash and kept my Trophy Plus stainless four blade propeller for use on the new motor My local dealer applied the $825 rebate on the spot, which taken together helped bring the overall cost down. I wouldn't say the decision was easy, given the expense, but after considering trading in my Whaler for several possible new boats, realized I really loved my Dauntless and simply wanted a four stroke with a little more power. I considered buying a new Dauntless 170, but couldn't rationalize the insane price.

Took the boat out on Mobile Bay on Saturday morning, before the rain hit. Conditions were okay but not great, with a good southeasterly breeze and a light to moderate chop. In summary, we felt like we were driving a completely new boat. The boat jumped out of the hole, much quicker than my old 90hp, and I didn't even try to check the top speed, given the conditions. Pulled my son and one of his pals on a tube and they went airborne a couple of times. The motor was incredibly quiet, which pleased my wife, and sounded a bit like a BMW motorcycle (a tight purr) when operating at high speed.

The dealer mounted the motor second hole from the top. Not a whole lot of trim range in the above conditions, especially when the chop moved from light to moderate, before experiencing some porpoising. Will probably need to experiment with the height of the motor, based on comments from other folks on this website.

The bottom line: My whaler is a keeper - the boat looks almost new - and the new engine has reignited my enthusiasm. Sure, I probably wouldn't get my money back if I tried to sell the package, but I have no intention of selling and expect to wear out myself before the boat and motor are done. I'll provide some updates over the Summer as I gain more experience with the new set-up.

Edited by paddlepicker on 06/02/14 - 6:54 PM

sraab928
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/03/14 - 4:12 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

Paddlepicker - sounds awesome - post up some pictures for us to see!!

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

masbama
#13 Print Post
Posted on 06/03/14 - 5:21 PM

Who is your dealer? I'm here in Mobile.

paddlepicker
#14 Print Post
Posted on 06/06/14 - 5:26 PM
Personal Page

Hey, fellas - I'm out of town and won't be able to post any photos for a week or two.
I re-powered at Tracker Marine, Spanish Fort. They're backed up with lots of service work but did a great job installing the new 115.

Finnegan
#15 Print Post
Posted on 06/16/14 - 7:06 PM

Still would like to see those photos. In answer to Seahorse's question, a Merc dealer definitely confirmed to me these engines, like the Verado block based predecessors, are 100% made in Fond du Lac.

paddlepicker
#16 Print Post
Posted on 06/17/14 - 4:54 PM
Personal Page

As requested, I've uploaded some photos of the 2014 Mercury 115 four stroke on my Boston Whaler Dauntless 160 to a personal page. This is the first time, so I'm not sure how you folks will be able to find the page!

wlagarde
#17 Print Post
Posted on 06/17/14 - 5:06 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

You need to make the page active. After that we will see a link below your handle.

1976 Sport 15 w/ 2005 50hp Nissan 2 stroke

paddlepicker
#18 Print Post
Posted on 06/17/14 - 5:14 PM
Personal Page

Gotcha - did that already.
The website said someone has to review the personal page before it will become active.
I just uploaded one of the photos as my avatar, to get around the delay.

wlagarde
#19 Print Post
Posted on 06/17/14 - 5:37 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

OK - You are good. The engine looks real nice. I am sure you will enjoy it!

Edited by wlagarde on 06/17/14 - 5:38 PM
1976 Sport 15 w/ 2005 50hp Nissan 2 stroke

paddlepicker
#20 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/14 - 8:11 PM
Personal Page

Since my last post, I've taken my Dauntless 160 out on Mobile Bay, Weeks Bay, Magnolia River and Fish River numerous time. The new Mercury 115 4-stroke continues to impress. With practice, I've found it easy to find the optimum trim position under a wide range of conditions. Acceleration out of the hole and at various speeds has been terrific. The trophy plus four blade stainless prop is performing very well. The boat seems to like to cruise along crisply at about 4,500 rpm but flat out flies at 5,500 rpm, moving as fast as I care to go in a small boat. I still haven't pushed it to run at full speed, in part because I'm breaking the engine in and in part because I'm a prudent boater. I've pulled numerous sturdy teenagers on a large tube with no problems (solo or a pair). The boat simply jumps out of the hole with no apparent effort, perhaps due to the larger displacement and lighter weight in the new model. I know many boaters, including some of my friends, remain fans of two strokes, but this 115 is a vast improvement over my old Mercury 90 two stroke in every aspect of performance. At this point, I would not hesitate to recommend this motor to anyone looking to re-power with a 115. I'll continue to provide updates if I have any other useful observations.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 28, 2024 - 12:45 AM
Users Online
Welcome
sbfarrelly
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 5
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,026
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.27 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,120,323 unique visits