View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
New old member
VW Whaler
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/04/14 - 6:07 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Made it back after many years of being off this site, I was under VW Whaler and had a project under
VW Whaler > 18' Deck Repair. Pretty much have not messed with the boat since after having my 3rd kid and money drying up. Trying to figure out what I can sell the boat for now. I will post it in the for sale section in a week or so. I just wanted to post this to get a few there there it will be ok kind of support as this is really tearing my heart out to tears even jacking up my blood pressure. :( Sorry for the sad post but there you have it. My boat is a grey hull custom ordered 18 ft 1984 Outrage with out riggers, ski pole and lean to in pieces currently with dual 70 hp Yamaha 2 strokes with a third motor and controls that I found here on this site many years ago.
Have 2 never used jack plates and new front mills shelter, windscreen and top, no rear shelter. 63 gal fuel tank is in good shape. Trailer had good tires but could use some work. Its my dream boat to do everything i want including water skiing and fishing and perfect grey color. Anyway comments? Talk me out of it ect :) If I can sell a few other projects soon I maybe able to keep it so there is a little hope out there. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.
Erick

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/04/14 - 10:56 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

We need to get you back into your old ID.
Having 2 ID's does not work for anyone and you can't edit your old personal page etc unless you get back.

I suggest you contact me so we can delete this new "Ericks Grey hull" member and get you back to VW Whaler.
http://www.whalercentral.com/profile....okup=13235

I am going to lock this thread so we can get you straightened out.

(EDIT: I think you should be good to go with your original username of VW Whaler)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 04/04/14 - 12:09 PM

VW Whaler
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/04/14 - 12:43 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Thanks Joe for your help, I appreciate it. Just getting back on this site has helped. Are there any members near Greensboro NC?

1968 13 ft whaler
Erick

aeriksen
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/04/14 - 12:53 PM

Comments: 0

I used your deck repair project to replace the plywood in my decking. I wouldn't have tackled that without knowing someone else had done it and even posted pictures. Thanks VW Whaler for posting that.

VW Whaler
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/14 - 6:57 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Glad to help aeriksen :)

1968 13 ft whaler
Erick

wlagarde
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/14 - 7:39 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 2

VW Whaler wrote:
...Are there any members near Greensboro NC?

I'm in Chapel Hill. Mostly boat on Jordan lake and Falls lake. Grew up frequenting Badin lake near Greensboro.

1976 Sport 15 w/ 2005 50hp Nissan 2 stroke

VW Whaler
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/14 - 8:57 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

wlagarde will have to have you over and treat you to some food and beverage for some advice on getting going on my boat again. Really thinking hard on keeping it, just need to get other things sold first .
Erick

1968 13 ft whaler
Erick

sraab928
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/14 - 5:01 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

Erick, It looks like a great boat - With the gray color and twin yamahas you are going to have a fine setup there. I vote to finish and try her out.

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

wlagarde
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/14 - 6:01 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

VW Whaler wrote:
wlagarde will have to have you over and treat you to some food and beverage for some advice on getting going on my boat again. Really thinking hard on keeping it, just need to get other things sold first .
Erick

Yes - Keep the boat. It will no doubt turn out great with a little more TLC. Did you mount the 70s yet?

gchuba
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/14 - 6:51 PM

VW Whaler. I have been a restorer of vintage tractors (O.C. 3/ HG Oliver Vineyard Crawlers, cadaver excavators and Bobcats, trucks, etc...) since the early 80's. In the back of my mind they were for me to use for work, resale, or look at. Never have I been happier than using my skills, tools, and contacts for my 1979 22ft Revenge Whaler restoration. When I work on this boat it refreshes and rejuvenates. I see your tractor loading the console, the shops in the background, the old VW's kicking around the yard. I am always on the edge of what to fix, maintain , sell or finance. I have a similar type yard. The boat is a keeper. Good luck.
gchuba

VW Whaler
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/14 - 7:37 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Thanks guys, I needed the encouragement, some times you get bogged down with too many projects. I have so many it's crazy. Just got my 1973 VW Thing Army radio car almost ready to sell, once it's gone things will be a bit brighter. Still have to sell 2 more crazy cars after that and then I hope to have a garage to work on the whaler and other buses I am keeping. Going for quality instead of quantity and the whaler is always quality :)
Cheers.

1968 13 ft whaler
Erick

bob camire
#12 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/14 - 8:03 PM

Comments: 4

Eric, good luk on prioritizing your projects...you most likely will end up keeping your whaler because it sound like it is something high on your list. I cant ever imagine parting with mine..as i looked at it today, i thought it might be mine for life ! however , i am in the process of looking at a larger eastport 205..if my wife catches wind of this, im a dead duck !! hah lol

2006 Dauntless 160, 115 HP Merc 4 Stroke, 2012 Venture Trailer

sraab928
#13 Print Post
Posted on 04/06/14 - 4:46 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

I love that 61 Single Cab by the way. I've always liked those trucks. It seems to be a common thread among us that we have plenty to keep us occupied with maintenance and fixing. I think it keeps us going!

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

VW Whaler
#14 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/14 - 6:53 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

I might have a friend to split the cost of getting this baby up and running. Talking to him tomorrow so keep your fingers crossed. :) This would really help me with the multi tasking projects! LOL! Scott yep the 61 single cab bus is a keeper, hopefully having a friend to get it going again in exchange for him to use it in his business. Boat or cars if they run and get use it is better than sitting. Sometimes you have to get creative in your hobbies!

1968 13 ft whaler
Erick

gchuba
#15 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/14 - 8:07 AM

VW, I am glad to hear the optimism. So you know how I can relate. I am wrapping up restoring a 1981 VW Caddy Diesel Pickup Truck (too light to tow a 22ft Revenge?). I need to take the lumber rack off my 1985 S-10 4 wheel drive and modify it for the VW (son blew up motor last summer, failure to check water), and my boat is still in pieces with my recent repower.

Why I am still married! Missed the opener for salmon but went abalone diving up in Mendocino with my wife out of town (wedding shower) and bought her an abalone necklace from the dive shop, showed her the dismantling tag from DMV for the S-10 (sitting for year), my "parts boat" for the repower will never be on the property again.

Why my marriage is on shaky ground. Hey! VW Whaler, I have always loved the VW "Thing". A high school
classmate's father had the dealership and I saw 20 of them in a row at his lot. I always loved the look. You ever run across an inexpensive beater that needs fixing? What would the shipping cost be like? Just joking, kinda.

Good luck with the boat. Things have a way of working out.

gchuba

Edited by gchuba on 04/07/14 - 8:12 AM

VW Whaler
#16 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/14 - 8:23 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

You would flip out on my vw thing gchuba :) It is a 1973 German Army Radio car with full radios. It has gear reduction boxes like a old split bus. I have loads of accessories. Had it about 14 years or so and it currently only has 43k km on it! LOL!
The THing will be going up on Ebay in a week or so, Need money to pay off loans and some money to fix another car 1968 Steyr Puch Haflinger police car to sell to get a garage to actually work on my projects. Trying to get a garage before i turn 50 so i can enjoy my later years tinkering in my garage.

1968 13 ft whaler
Erick

wlagarde
#17 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/14 - 7:02 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

VW Whaler - Please post the link to the eBay listing for the Radio car ounce posted. I would love to see pictures (Sorry guys I know this is off topic).

Bill L.

tom blinstrub
#18 Print Post
Posted on 04/08/14 - 3:01 AM
Personal Page

Welcome back VW Whaler, For 25 years I always had 2 VW's registered so I would always have a spare.
Lets see now,their was the 72 super beetle, 74 Karmann Ghia, 66 Ghia with air conditioning, 69 beetle. 73 Ghia, 65 Ghia convert, 73 Thing, 74 Thing, 59 Single Cab. 68 Crew Cab. 68 single Cab. 70 single Cab, 71 Single Cab, 70 9 passenger bus, 68 Westfalia, 70 Sundial camper, 67 beetle. I sure I missed one. Now I just buy a new Tacoma every 2 years. Good luck on the Whaler, Don't sell it.

VW Whaler
#19 Print Post
Posted on 04/08/14 - 5:11 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

funny I think if you like to tinker on cars you probably had a vw at least one time.
I love all cars and settled into VW's as they can interchange motors really easily. Now my next step is figuring out how to get outboards running and then link them. Still a newbie on boats. But just like the VW world you just have to dive in and try to figure it out. Hoping to narrow my hobbies down to,
Old Westfalia camper trailers, Boston Whaler, VW busses and a dream of mine a 82 Porsche 911 that I just got that fell into my lap. $9900 and running! Never thought I could afford one ! As a time in getting those cool rides or loans, you can borrow against that classic vehicle if you own it outright. We got a loan against my 66 deluxe hardtop bus to buy my 1957 Westfalia camper. And I was able to get a loan for the Porsche easily too. Selling the other cars I have to pay off one loan and then get build some sort of garage after selling another car. Once garage is there I can enjoy the projects better from the Whaler to the 911 to the VW's and campers! SO much to do so little time. But my family comes first and hopefully i can get the whaler going so we can enjoy our family time before the kids move on. Thanks guys for the encouragement and as you can tell I am a chatter box. If anyone is near Greensboro NC and wants to talk boats or cars please let me know. :)
Erick

1968 13 ft whaler
Erick

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 16, 2024 - 11:29 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Joelturmel
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,094
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.35 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,473,643 unique visits