View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Isle Royale - August 2007
plotman
#21 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/07 - 11:29 AM

Comments: 0

I'll probably bring the 22 back to Duluth this coming weekend with the plan of leaving from Grand Portage. I can make a 15 mile run in a lot worse weather than I can 75. so I'll be a lot less likely to get stuck due to weather.

I'm game to meet up anywhere. I'd vote for meeting up either down in Sikiwit Bay somewhere or around the backside at Belle Isle. Belle Isle is cool for a couple or reasons - in addition to a good dock, [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Plotman/Isle%20Royale/BelleDock.jpg[/IMG] it has a nice beach, [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Plotman/Isle%20Royale/BelleBeach.jpg[/IMG] and a picnic pavillion for cooking out of the weather if it rains and for hanging out. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Plotman/Isle%20Royale/BellePavillion.jpg[/IMG]

Belle is still close to Rock Harbor - only 12 miles or so, but because it is around the end, it feels pretty isolated. Siskiwit is about 30 miles down the SE side of the island from Rock Harbor, so Copper Harbor is probably about the same distance to either.

You guys choose.

The island isn't accessible to hikers, unlike a number of the docks in the Siskiwit area - my favorite of which is Hay Bay.

Buckda
#22 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/07 - 2:29 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I think it will largely depend on the weather forecast. If it is going to blow from the NW or W while we're out there, I'd like to be on the lee side of the island, if possible.

That said, we really didn't get to round the top of the island at all last time - and left more than 2/3rds of the island shoreline unexplored. I'd like to make up for some lost ground on that front.

On another note, and remembering the spectacular display or Aurora Borealis last time; the Perseid Meteor Shower should be peaking near the end of that week, and the moon waning to a new moon on August 12. The nighttime sky should be perfect for viewing these meteors in the evenings. ("Shooting" from the constellation Perseus, which should be very viewable in the NE sky over the lake, with hundreds of miles between us and any city lights to pollute the sky.)

Dave

Edited by Buckda on 07/17/07 - 2:44 PM

David Pendleton
#23 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/07 - 11:00 AM
Personal Page

tawelty, you're not the minister we ran into at Chippewa Harbor in 2005, are you?

It looks like the plan is to be on the island during the week of August 6-10.

1999 23 Conquest IO - 5.7L Mercruiser EFI

Joe Kriz
#24 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/07 - 11:13 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

David,

Due to the upgrade last night, the original poster was hoagy I believe instead of tawelty....

I had to delete his post because of conflicts in file ordering... Hopefully he will respond and I am sending him a PM to also let him know.

David Pendleton
#25 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/07 - 11:28 AM
Personal Page

Thanks Joe.

Buckda
#26 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/07 - 4:25 PM
Personal Page

This link should take you to a very long thread that has some great trip organizing information for anyone who might be interested in this trip.

I hesitate to dredge all that information up again and re-create it when it is readily available. Please note that dock water levels are lower this year, and I can't testify to the veracity of information in that thread as it is over two years old. But as far as outfitting your boat and gear for the trip, it should be a big help.

As I said before, a go/no-go decision will be made for my participation at the end of this week...but I'm already busy making packing lists and evaluating my equipment stocks. This could be a lot of fun!

Dave

David Pendleton
#27 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/07 - 8:39 PM
Personal Page

Standing by...

hoagy
#28 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/07 - 9:31 PM

Hi Dave, Joe,

No I haven’t been up there in about 7 or 8 years now.

I have a 17 foot 1967 whaler the only original wood is the anchor well cover. A couple of years ago I took off the front railings they hindered my getting in and out of the boat when beaching and camping and I was always repairing them. I now have all stainless steel fittings if I ever get around to fixing er up; not that it needs it.

In 1988 I bought the boat motor and trailer for 600 dollars. It had spent the winter in the ice in Mackinaw Straits The gel coat had chipped and had to be ground away and replaced. The motor was no good So I gave it away to a guy who was going to outboard motor school. I had a 1985, 90 horse Evinrude from my old MSG which was just right. By the time I got er ready for the water it looked pretty good. I built a Counsel for it which I replaced about 10 years ago. Since then I have not done any work on it to speak of. Except to replace the Evinrude which I plum wore out. With a 90 hp 4 stroke Johnson which is 100 lbs too heavy.

It looks a mess The new gel coat is holding up fine but I do need to do something with the inside as I keep it in a brown canal here in Houghton Lake. Everything is still solid and I fish in it a lot as well as take the kids out in it. The good thing about the condition of it is that I don’t worry about a scratch or a few stains from fish blood or scales. Of course I take good care of the engine. So if you see a beat up old whaler named visitation it is no doubt me. My radio call is “visitation”.

God Bless,
Chaplain Hoagy

Buckda
#29 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/07 - 3:02 PM
Personal Page

Pat –

Per our discussion last night – it’s about 560 miles for you to go up through the UP.

It’s about 590 miles for me from where the boat is – through Wisconsin. Mapquest is calling for about 11 hours. If memory serves, it took me 12 hours, plus 2 extra hours (backtracked) to get the boat, in 2005. I’m hoping to get an earlier start this year than last – I left work at 3 PM last year and arrived up there around 5 AM the next morning.

Non-perishable supply shopping begins this weekend; nuts, drinks, booze, etc. Pat, you and I can finish off the details at the grocery in Houghton on Saturday when we get our park permits. If you get a chance in the interim to cross the Ambassador Bridge, pick up a few Cubans, eh?!

Pendleton – I hope you do make the trip over to Copper Harbor. It’s a nice facility – and it’s always nice to go somewhere you’ve not yet been. If you choose Grand Portage, I understand though…it is closer!

Sounds like I’ll have the dump of the bunch. Pat just shined up his Whaler…mine needs some attention!

Home Aside
#30 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/07 - 5:37 PM

Comments: 1

I'm in.......Always wanted to go to Isle Royal, and by Whaler will be all the sweeter!!!!!

Pat

Buckda
#31 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/07 - 5:55 PM
Personal Page

Excellent. It's a go then! This is going to be a great trip!

Dave

David Pendleton
#32 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/07 - 7:45 PM
Personal Page

I am looking forward to seeing Gambler with all its upgrades since 2005; even if it is a Scow.

Dave

Buckda
#33 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/07 - 10:17 AM
Personal Page

I've registered for the park online. My current proposed itinerary to the NPS is 8/4 Belle Isle; 8/5 McCargoe Cove 8/6 Todd Harbor; 8/7 Grace Island 8/8 Hay Bay and 8/9 Chippewa Harbor.

Of course, this will be edited based on weather and need. Use fee is $28.

Dave

plotman
#34 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/07 - 6:15 PM

Awesome - I should see you on Belle Island on the 4th. I it is open when I come over friday night, I'll likely set up in the shelter on the right as you stand on the beach (it's one of the farthest from the dock, but right off the beach). I'll leave a note if I'm off exploring. Plus, we'll all have radios.

David Pendleton
#35 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/07 - 6:42 PM
Personal Page

I wasn't planning on being on the island until Sunday, but I don't want to miss Belle Island. I too just registered online. I don't know if I can keep to it, but my itinerary is the same with the addition of my last night in Windigo.

08/04/07 Dock - Belle Isle
08/05/07 Dock - McCargoe Cove
08/06/07 Dock - Todd Harbor
08/07/07 Dock - Grace Island
08/08/07 Dock - Hay Bay
08/09/07 Dock - Chippewa Harbor
08/10/07 Dock - Windigo

Edited by David Pendleton on 07/20/07 - 6:48 PM

Buckda
#36 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/07 - 8:49 PM
Personal Page

Just got back from testing the new Fuel tank. I added a Tempo 27 gallon tank forward of the console that is hard-plumbed into the fuel delivery system ahead of the fuel filter/water separator via a three-way valve.

Works great! No leaks and the boat seems to handle the weight well. I also spent the weekend organizing gear and getting ready for this trip. All that's left is to buy some remaining gear and food and then strategically pack it all in order to balance the weight, etc.

Really, REALLY looking forward to this trip.

Anyone else interested in attending?

Home Aside
#37 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/07 - 9:15 PM

Comments: 1

I registered reservations tonight, same dates, locations.......It's going to be fun

Pat

Bob H
#38 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/07 - 6:27 PM

This is a trip that I would really like to be able to make.
But I am still looking for the right Whaler for me, and if
I were to find one soon, still would not have time to get it
sorted out and tested before hand. Maybe I can make the
trip later in September if a nice Montauk or Outrage finds
me. For those of who are going have a great trip!

Buckda
#39 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/07 - 8:06 PM
Personal Page

Bob -

You are welcome to "crew" aboard Gambler and sleep ashore.

You pack your food and cover half the cost of fuel.

I'll be going through Chicago with the boat on Friday afternoon.

Dave

hoagy
#40 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/07 - 8:52 PM

Hi Guys,
Question; Do you buy gas at Rock Harbor or do you carry it with you? How many gallons do you carry?

I can carry 36 gallons; I have an other 36 gallon tank but it takes up so much room. I know that gas is about $1.00 More on the Island.

Any comments would be helpful.

I plan to leave home for Isle Royal next Friday I plan to put in at Houghton Hancock. I will stay on or around the Island for bout a week.

Thanks,
Chaplain Hoagy

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 9, 2024 - 1:22 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Fman594
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 22
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,064
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.36 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,342,190 unique visits