View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Isle Royale - August 2007
David Pendleton
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/29/07 - 8:57 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

There has been a very small amount of talk about an(other) Isle Royale trip this August.

Any other interest?

1999 23 Conquest IO - 5.7L Mercruiser EFI

Buckda
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/12/07 - 6:35 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Yes. I'm considering it. I need to evaluate water levels. It looks like this may be a potential destination for me for a week of boating/camping.

I'd be launching from Copper Harbor, Michigan and crossing Lake Superior to the Island. The weather would be a determining factor as to how much time would be spent on the Island, and of course, the amount of traffic on the island would determine if we could find dock space for the night.

I've heard word that the ferry from MN is not running this summer due to water levels - which means fewer hikers and campers...and hopefully fewer large cruisers. That would mean adequate space for a small group of Whalers.

My primary interest is the southern portion of the island, given that I saw the northern portion on a previous trip two years ago -however, by no means was the northern half fully explored on that previous trip. I'd love to see the island again.

Dave

Edited by Buckda on 07/12/07 - 6:53 PM

cdnwhaler
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/12/07 - 6:56 PM
Personal Page

Can I bring my Lightfoot CD?

1984 Outrage 22

Buckda
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/12/07 - 7:01 PM
Personal Page

Peter -

Only if you're serious!
Smile

plotman
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/07 - 12:39 PM

Dave - are you talking south as in the Siskiwit bay area (as I recall, you may not have gotten west of Chippewa Harbor), or south as in Washington Harbor?

One of the two ferries from Minnesota is not operating - the one that was considered the "day boat" to Windigo. The boat that makes the 2-day circumnavigation of the island is still running, but it brings far fewer people.

My favorites are Siskiwit Bay (feels a million miles from anywhere - and seems open, but ends up getting a fair amount of protection from the offshore reefs, and the eastern half of the north side of the island - Belle Island, Amigdaloid down to McCargoe. The pavilion at Belle makes it a cool place to camp.

My friends say that boat traffic is way down from norms - dockage isn't really a problem at all, even with the reduced capacity because of the low water.

And aside from the docks - low water isn't an issue. Rocks that used to be awash or just under the surface are now clearly visible, but the trade off is that rocks that didn't use to be a problem can now bite you.

When are your dates?

David

David Pendleton
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/07 - 9:49 PM
Personal Page

I would very much like to return to IR, even if we went to the same places as last time.

I saw the dock pictures, and was a bit discouraged. It's no fun tying up to a dock that's 5 feet above your gunwale.

I'd mose likely depart from Grand Portage again. Dave T, where would you leave from?

cdnwhaler
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/07 - 6:07 AM
Personal Page

As much as I'd like to revisit Isle Royale, especially since reading "Once Upon An Isle" by Howard Stevenson this past winter, I'm afraid I'm booked for the summer now.

I hope you folks make the trip. It's a wonderful place out there.

Peter

1984 Outrage 22

plotman
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/07 - 8:56 AM

Dave-

I'd probably drive up to GP, but leaving from Madeline could be a possibility depending on dates, where the boat is when that date comes and weather.

My schedule is also rather fluid as I know I'm going to have a funeral to go to, probably in the next 6 weeks, but don't know when yet, and probably don't want to be out of touch until it is over.

David Pendleton
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/07 - 5:15 PM
Personal Page

Dave T-
Assuming you've made the Apostle Islands/Isle Royale crossing before, how long did it take you, at what speed, what time of day and what route?

I'd be interested in that crossing, more so now that I have RADAR which would make an early morning run feasible.

I would expect that crossing to consume almost half my fuel, though.

Edited by David Pendleton on 07/14/07 - 5:17 PM

plotman
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/07 - 11:11 PM

I did it last summer, middle of July - left a little before 6am, was at the dock in Windigo by 9am. It is about 90 miles from my beach, and about 75 miles of open water from Outer Island to Rock of Ages. It was glass calm when I left, and I ran in the upper 30s, so a little over 2 1/2 hours. Much of the trip I sat on the cooler seat in front of the console and read a book while the autopilot drove (I had a remote and an extension of the kill switch clipped to me).

It was a whim really - I was at the cabin alone for a few days, the forecast was good, so I went. Mainly to just do it. Topped off with gas, went up to Sikiwit Bay, hung out and fished for much of the day, I was going to stay overnight, but the forecast that evening was for it to build the next day, so I came back that evening, getting back a little before 10pm. Only kind of dumb thing I did was not tell anyone I was going. I just went.

My GPS track for the day said 240 or 245 miles. I had a pair of 13 gallon tempos under the leaning post in addition to the belly tank, so just over 100 gallons of fuel.

Man was I sore the next morning.

Bob H
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/07 - 7:50 PM

Buckda; You mentioned launching from Copper Harbor.
How far is it from there to IR?

plotman
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/07 - 8:24 PM

Bob -

It is about 55 miles, if memory serves, from Copper Harbor to the Island.

Buckda
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07/16/07 - 7:31 AM
Personal Page

Bob -

David is right (he's the expert around here on Isle Royale, as far as I'm concerned). Two years ago, I logged just over 56 miles on GPS for the trip, which began at the ramp in Copper Harbor, about 1/2 mile to the mouth of the harbor and crossing, then about 1.5 miles around the islands outside of Rock Harbor to Rock Harbor Lodge/Ranger Station (where fuel is available).

The dates I am looking at are August 5-10, weather dependent. I'd drive up to Copper Harbor Friday afternoon the 3rd and over night, arriving early in the morning on the 4th (3-5 AM). I'd be in Copper Harbor on Saturday and wait for a weather window. If the weather is good, I'd go as soon as possible upon arrival at Copper Harbor...up to and including a night-time crossing using GPS if the moon is bright and the lake is flat...but I'd prefer to spend Saturday at Copper Harbor with a run down to Houghton to register and pay park dues and file my float/camping plan with the park rangers. (This can be accomplished at Rock Harbor also if weather urges me to cross in the late morning on Saturday).

David is right - I really haven't been West/South of Chippewa Harbor and haven't seen ANY of the West side of the island...so whatever I can see in that direction is on my list.

Final go/no-go decision is expected this week.

Dave

David Pendleton
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/16/07 - 10:26 AM
Personal Page

Under good conditions I can get 3 mpg, so 180 miles round trip is no problem.

This time, I think I would prefer leaving from the Apostles or even Copper Harbor. The drive to Grand Portage isn't very interesting, nor is their marina.

plotman
#15 Print Post
Posted on 07/16/07 - 1:55 PM

The lake is like glass today - none of the data buoys on Lake Superior are registering any wave height at all right now, but check out the mid lake water temps. All of 39.9F at the Mid Superior Buoy http://ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php...tion=45001 right now.

Here is an overview of the lake http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/twosupe...riors.html

It may be July, but bring your stocking cap.

David Pendleton
#16 Print Post
Posted on 07/16/07 - 3:20 PM
Personal Page

Just dawned on me: why not Eagle Harbor, MI?

Buckda
#17 Print Post
Posted on 07/16/07 - 3:44 PM
Personal Page

David T – Sounds like you had a pretty impressive window of opportunity earlier this year. Did the weather kick up on the return? Wondering why you were sore if it was smooth enough to sit in front reading a book. That would have been a surreal moment to pass you with the boat on autopilot and the captain lounging in front with a book on his lap!

“Once Upon an Isle” was a great read and a very thoughtful suggestion for reading. I thoroughly enjoyed my copy and have given it a place of honor on my bookshelf along with similar types of books on the Great Lakes, including Mackinac Island, the Legend of the Sleeping Bears, and other favorites that were both well written and elaborately illustrated.

I’m also enjoying a copy of “Writing Lake Superior” by Peter Unwin. This book has limited availability – it is from Penguin Press (Canadian) and was pretty tough to locate a copy (I eventually found it at a bookseller in Manhattan on a business trip!). I’ve stopped reading it for now, in hopes that I can read and finish it on the Island by lantern…I can’t think of a better way to finish this fine book about the Lake Superior region.

I’ve been tracking my fuel economy this year and the conditions in which I encountered what economy. I still need to calculate Saturday’s consumption in square 4-6 footers on Lake Erie (I fried my Garmin AC/serial adapter so I can’t currently download to my computer to calculate economy)…but I’ve averaged around 4.2 MPG in much mixed running. With the addition of a 27 gallon Tempo tank, I should have about 351 miles of total range (conservative estimate). That should be more than enough to get me by with perhaps just a splash of fuel on the Island to get home.

Now…to convince Pat to join me and to find a distributor of dry ice…..

Dave

Buckda
#18 Print Post
Posted on 07/16/07 - 3:47 PM
Personal Page

David -

Eagle Harbor facilities are not as nice as Copper Harbor - it's an extra few miles on the road and in the boat, but if you get "blown in" at Copper Harbor, you are much happier (clean restroom, restaurants in town, etc). The Copper Harbor marina is only a few years old and is nice. It's not a big town by any definition, but also being at the top of US41, the "bottom" of which lies at Key West, Florida, is pretty cool too. There's a few things to see and do if you get socked in by weather - and of course, you can always drop the trailer and go down to Houghton.

plotman
#19 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/07 - 6:02 AM

Daves P & B-

I did have the wireless remote for the autopilot around my neck and a kill switch on, but I guess it would have been odd...

The ride over that day last summer was glass, but it was a bit choppy on the way back, but the main reason I was sore the next day is that I am now sporting a 4-handle on the age.

I'm looking good for going up the night of the 3rd, and staying through tuesday, presuming my mom hangs in there.

David

David Pendleton
#20 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/07 - 10:31 AM
Personal Page

I'm thinking Copper Harbor is going to be my departure point, with the Apostle Islands being my second choice. Grand Portage is a distant third.

At this point, I plan on spending Aug 6-10 on and around the island, using the weekends for travel and a buffer.

It looks like it's just going to be the three of us Daves, unless Pat joins us.

It's just over two weeks away. Should we start throwing some dates and times around regarding who's going to be where and when?

Also, do we plan on stopping in to Rock Harbor or Windigo when we get over?

Edited by David Pendleton on 07/17/07 - 11:22 AM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 9, 2024 - 3:29 PM
Users Online
Welcome
bigchungo
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,066
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.25 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,344,572 unique visits