View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1989 Whaler 27 FC ...What a Trip!
Silentpardner
#21 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/13 - 7:54 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Thanks whalerman!

I am real proud of it, and I am trying to make it our own now. I think with the repower and new Garmin networked electronics, it will never be the same boat again. I am still worried about a generator, I have to get one working on the boat ASAP. It's been running 100 degrees at Freeport TX all week, I will have to have a spot on this boat to cool off if I am going to fish this boat as hard as I plan on. The "before" pictures are in, I certainly hope the "after" pictures will be as awesome as I expect. I will also be posting the engine stats as soon as possible after break in.

fred s
#22 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/13 - 10:01 AM

Great story, thanks.

Silentpardner
#23 Print Post
Posted on 08/18/13 - 3:48 PM
Personal Page

Thought I should post a project report here for anybody following.
The motor technician in the shop was setting up to install the new Yamaha 300's upon my last visit to LMC last week. I made the trip down to discuss the location of the autopilot controller and the new Command Link® Plus LCD Display for the Yamahas. I originally wanted to place these indicator/control panels on the helm in the same panel as the original setup seen in my helm photos, but the 2 Garmin 6212 MFD/Chartplotters took up ALL the space! I decided, after looking over my options carefully, to install both the autopilot and the Command link display flat on the helm within the area surrounded by the teak blocks directly behind the wheel. I will have to install a hinged plexiglass/lexan cover to rest on the blocks to protect the displays, and still allow access to control buttons for both units. I believe this will make a neat, usable setup.
While there at the shop, the Whaler 27 was removed from the bay and the 2-300's were moved into the bay at the hoists, and uncrating was initiated. Apparently, un-crating these motors is a time consuming task in itself, I was amazing how secure these motors are in their crates!

I also found out that the steering will definitely be replaced, the old steering for the 200 HP application is too small for the new 300's. I am also going to have to replace the starting batteries for the same reason, the ones in service now are just too small. I also found that both of the current starting batteries are deep cycle 550 CCA batteries and I don't think they were actually suitable for this application anyway. I am allowing LMC to supply 2 new Interstate starting batteries for the new 300's. I am supplying 2 new group 27 deep cycle marine batteries for the "house" batteries on the boat, and I plan on using the 2 new small deep cycle batteries that came with the boat as power for 2 Penn Senator 114HLW Dolphin electric reels when I need to use these deep-dropping. I am planning on just using the house batteries for the downriggers since I will be able to switch the charging circuit to charge these while trolling if needed. We are going to have to build platforms for the batteries because the stern cavity is open all the way down to the bilge, and it's a LONG way down there. There is a plug and a bilge pump way down there at the bottom of this cavity, heaven help me when I need to access them! If anyone has ideas or suggestions on any of these access issues, PLEASE post here, I would be greatly appreciative!

A lot of time has been spent removing all the old electronics, the motors and all the rigging associated with this old equipment. All the new control wiring and rigging as well as the new radar, GPS, and XM Weather antennas, autopilot gyro-compass and ECM control unit, and the GSD 26 sounder have been installed. The new motor start/stop and key switch is installed. The items still needing installation are as follows:
1) Both new motors and steering unit, also props (I have 2 new Mercury 17 P Rev 4's for propping)
2) Autopilot including pump and hydraulic steering lines as well as the user interface
3) Airmar TM265LH CHIRP transducer for the sounder unit
4) Cannon Downrigger transducer and 12v outlets for the downriggers
5) Batteries and wiring to allow switched charging while motors are running
6) Garmin VHF200 networked radio in lower helm compartment
7) Helm panel with the 2 Garmin 6212 MFD's, it's made and they are in it, just need to be attached and connected

While looking around the boat and taking measurements for determining the best place to install the new generator in the future, I noticed that the installation tech was using a metal stand under the radar arch with the arch folded down for support. This stand looked like it would be much better for use when trailering the boat than the last owners use of the manual downriggers for support, so I asked the tech if I could buy a set for my own use. He told me that these supports were used on other boats equipped with radar arches as shipping supports, and they had plenty of them at the shop. Since these were not needed after the shop set up these radar arches, they were usually just scrapped, and he assured me he could throw a couple of them in for me! The Whaler 27 is WAY over the 13'6" max height DOT requirement with the boat on the trailer with the arch in the raised position, so I am excited that a solution to the support problem has been found for trailering.

I think I have found that the best place remaining on this boat to install a generator. There is a space measuring 28"L X 29"H X 22 1/2"W tapering from bottom to top to 20"W within each one of the 2 original seats that have been reappointed as supports for the Tiara style lounge seating. I have found that a Westerbeke 6.5 will fit handily in this space, and should be easily serviceable if mounted on a slide-out tray under the seat closest to the stern. With a generator located here, the drawback will be that there will be no way to access the locker located in the deck under the lounge seating. I am still looking for a dealer that can install this for me locally, but there may be one at Corpus Christi, I just haven't called there yet.

I can't wait to get this rig in the water, the fish are biting like mad down here and I am still sitting on the sidelines
:(

For those of you looking for more pictures I have a Flickr site where I will be posting all the pictures as this project progresses at : http://www.flickr.com/photos/99787852...87852@N06/

For the person asking questions about the control system and gauges that will be used in this motor installation, they are the Command Link Plus display with Command Link Plus digital electronic controls. The display will show all performance details including MPG and GPH, as well as indicate up to 4 tank levels on the boat. For a complete look at this system, see : http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/riggin...g/controls

Edited by Silentpardner on 08/18/13 - 3:53 PM

wing15601
#24 Print Post
Posted on 08/18/13 - 4:15 PM

Comments: 0

Silentpardner, I never questioned your judgment as you state in your personal page. I didn't question anything you said. In your first post you said, " The trailer does have a set of keel rollers that are supporting all the weight, but I prefer bunks to having any rollers on a trailer for a Boston Whaler." It certainly appears from that statement that you want a trailer without any rollers at all and I was only saying that having keel rollers supporting the weight of the boat is the preferred trailer setup. You are certainly free to have bunks and no rollers on your whaler but I don't think it would provide the support necessary.

Edited by wing15601 on 08/18/13 - 4:19 PM
I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

Silentpardner
#25 Print Post
Posted on 08/18/13 - 4:24 PM
Personal Page

You are certainly free to have bunks and no rollers on your whaler but I don't think it would provide the support necessary.

Thank you for your permission sir.

The actual relative quote from my original post is as follows sir.

The trailer we bought with the boat is a 1992 Karavan with hydraulic surge brakes and will definitely be replaced soon. This trailer is in good shape, but I am concerned with the roller side guides, (they leave black marks), and the hydraulic surge braking system. This was the first time I have ever experienced this type of braking system, and it will be the last! All that thunking at stop/starts was disconcerting, to say the least! The trailer does have a set of keel rollers that are supporting all the weight, but I prefer bunks to having any rollers on a trailer for a Boston Whaler. We will be making a trip to Magnum Trailers here in central TX very soon after the repower to get a new custom trailer built.

In the quoted text above, I apparently was not clear enough. I did not mean that I didn't want ANY ROLLERS ON THE TRAILER. All I meant by this was that I did not want ANY ROLLERS WHERE BUNKS SHOULD BE on this trailer.

I should also bring to your attention that I was in NO WAY asking for your opinion or seeking your approval on this subject. I was not asking a single question in this post, I was simply telling the story of retrieving a boat from Wisconsin. I did not ask for ANY opinions from the gallery here on powering OR trailer design for the boat. I will have to figure out how to insure in the future that I am not asking a question...for now, I will simply NOT PUT A QUESTION MARK AT THE END OF ANY SENTENCE THAT IS NOT A QUESTION.

Sometimes, I wonder why I post.

Edited by Silentpardner on 08/18/13 - 6:18 PM

EaglesPDX
#26 Print Post
Posted on 08/18/13 - 6:21 PM

As I remember, the previous owners had removed the bow and side rails. Did you decide to put some on?

On the DigitTroll IV transducer, an FYI, I was getting interference between the Digitroll transducer and my main sonar transducer. Net effect was the Digitroll would start free spooling and then get its signal back. I had them on opposite sides of the hull but I have a narrow 7.5' hull so hopefully your separation will help. Solution for me I consolidated the Cannon controls with the GPS/Chart using the Cannonlink/Humminbird setup.

wing15601
#27 Print Post
Posted on 08/18/13 - 6:21 PM

I wonder also since you seem to have an affinity to argue with people. If you don't want to be involved in a discussion then maybe you should start a blog instead of posting on a site where all members are free to remark on anyone's post.

I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

EaglesPDX
#28 Print Post
Posted on 08/18/13 - 6:25 PM

Can't seem to go back and edit posts anymore that's "DigiTroll" not "DigitTroll" and "your 10' separation".

PS Apparently you cannot edit "Quick Replies" but can edit "Replies".

Edited by EaglesPDX on 08/18/13 - 6:26 PM

Silentpardner
#29 Print Post
Posted on 08/18/13 - 6:52 PM
Personal Page

If the previous owners removed any railings on this 1989 Whaler 27 FC, they must have put them back on before I saw it. They don't appear to have been disturbed, however.

I appreciate the input on the 2 transducers. I had not thought about the possibility of interference between the 2. I can't use the hummingbird package, I have Garmin electronics. I don't think the 2 transducers will really be that far apart, even with the 2 or 3 ft wider beam, and that sonar transducer beams up 3KW! I will probably have to address this interference issue if it exists, I will let you know what I find out. I know I will have to run the sounder and the downriggers at the same time, if there is trouble, I'll contact Cannon and see what they say. Surely they know you need a sounder running when you are using their downriggers...maybe they have a viable solution already.

Silentpardner
#30 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/13 - 9:35 PM
Personal Page

Well, went down to Houston yesterday and checked in on the repower and electronics upgrade in progress on the 1989 Whaler 27 FC. I took some pictures of the work in progress, but the good news, at least for me, was that we now have the motors and controls in place on the boat, 75% done on the motors or better. All the new electronics are in place and 90% complete, but I am looking for ideas on how to fix the blaring white of the starboard used in the chartplotter helm and the ignition switch plate. There has just got to be a better looking solution, I am still looking. I used the email link at Whaleboard to try to purchase a sheet in the right color, but I still have not gotten a response from them.

Mixed in the linked set of pictures is a bunch of pictures that could only be categorized as inspection pictures. Some of them were in places that I could only see by taking pictures with a flash.

Tomorrow I am going to Palacios to check on the 1986 Outrage 18 progress. I will post another set of progress pics on this project after we return.

Here's the link to todays progress pics :http://www.flickr.com/photos/99787852...505480963/

Tom W Clark
#31 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/13 - 7:44 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

You could have used black StarBoard, which is as easy to find as white and it would have matched the color of the black aluminum plates that the boat originally.

It would reduce glare too.

duf
#32 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/13 - 1:06 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Comments: 9

Dang Pard, those motors look huge, but your project looks like its coming along very nicely! That will be one hell of a fishing machine when you get done. Remember what i said, 51 - 53 MPH! :)

Duf

Silentpardner
#33 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/13 - 5:12 PM
Personal Page

Thanks Tom, I will look around for some black starboard. I have never seen any, it may be more common out there than here. I might be able to find some black aluminum, but it would have to be thicker than BW used, to support those two MFD's, they weigh 15 lbs apiece. I guess I could try just painting that starboard, what kind of paint works best on starboard? It is pretty slick finished stuff.

Thanks Duf! I am with ya on the size of those motors, they are BIG. They didn't actually look bad on the boat though in person, and my other option was the Mercury's...they are even bigger! I am gonna step out on a limb here and predict 57MPH at WOT with 'em mounted all the way up like they are, trimmed in, and using the Mercury Revolution 4 props. If it only does 55, I intend to blame that lower speed on the Mercury logo on the props! Haha! Too much Mercury drag, Hg is, after all, a "heavy metal"! hehehe That will be my story, and I will stick to it :)

Edited by Silentpardner on 09/14/13 - 5:15 PM

Tom W Clark
#34 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/13 - 6:05 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Paint won't stick to StarBoard very well.

You can buy black StarBoard through West Marine or any number of other marine supply stores.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/...jUHs-B8t9I

duf
#35 Print Post
Posted on 09/16/13 - 3:38 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Comments: 9

Got a rough timeframe for taking them out? If your Yams are anything like my Merc breakins, they want you to run full tilt intermittently right out of the box. Looking forward to hearing about your trial runs!

Duf

Silentpardner
#36 Print Post
Posted on 09/16/13 - 4:20 PM
Personal Page

No, I haven't heard yet when they will be ready to go, but they will have to be run easy first 2 hrs, then varied up to and including WOT for the next 8, then oil changed. I figure it will take all day on ICW and Brazos/San Bernard before making it back to Surfside Marina for the oil change. That is the recommendations from Yamaha, minus the specific variations of throttle and time for each cycle of variance of RPM in the last 8 hrs of the break in.

I have heard from others around here and the net that the best break in for any 4 stroke is to really hammer them in the first 10 hrs. I am gonna need some real calm waters to do that, as I am a skeerdy-cat in my old age! :) I am thinking about running down to Palacios via ICW or over to Galveston and back, but I have not charted anything yet to figure out if I can do either within the break in time allotted.

What will be a pain will be getting the new motors on the Outrage 18 broke in. They will have to be broken in individually, so it will be 20 hrs involved with these :(

Edited by Silentpardner on 09/16/13 - 4:28 PM

huckelberry145
#37 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/13 - 9:09 AM

Comments: 3

Silentpardner wrote:
What will be a pain will be getting the new motors on the Outrage 18 broke in. They will have to be broken in individually, so it will be 20 hrs involved with these :(

Bring that Outrage to me, I'd be glad to break 'em in for you;). I'll just be forced to do a little fishing after I get done though.

ritzyrags
#38 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/13 - 12:42 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 36

It is always a pleasure to read of your traveling adventures in bringing the big Whalers home..
Those outboards purchases should be sold with a permanent percentage rebate when fueling a the pump.
This rebate could work two fold.
1-Give incentive to the new owner to buy.
2-Give the manufacturer a legit right off cost wise from operating taxes and a given incentive to attract new buyers to purchase the newer models.
How do you spell RELIEF?

Edited by ritzyrags on 09/17/13 - 12:43 PM
Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

Silentpardner
#39 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/13 - 3:30 PM
Personal Page

I saw a movie once a long time ago, it was a western, where the hero used a certain catchphrase. The catchphrase, as best I can recall, was "I'll be your huckleberry", but I can't remember the name of the movie. When I read your reply, huckleberry, I got a big grin!

I may not be able to bring that Outrage to South Carolina for the break-in, but I would love to head out there in your area and fish sometime! Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it!! :) We may have to plan a vacation some time and head out your way and see what we can put into an old rebuilt Whaler around there:)

Edited by Silentpardner on 09/17/13 - 3:33 PM

Silentpardner
#40 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/13 - 3:43 PM
Personal Page

Ritzy, I appreciate the kind words about my writing, and, just so you know, I always enjoy reading about your exploits and projects as well :)

Regarding those BIG guzzlers, I sure agree! It may be worse than you thought, however. Those particular engines require premium fuel, no less, per Yamaha! I figure about $800 a trip on fuel every time I go out for a day. I guess I am used to high expenses now though, after so many years of fueling big old Johnsons, and diesels, doing the same sort of "crazy" thing...offshore Gulf fishing. It's addictive, and I have been "hooked" every since I arrived on the Gulf coast way back in 1980 after growing up back east.

I would bet you get some really good fishing up there in your area as well! I see your area on fishing shows a lot, you got some of the biggest darn flounder I have ever seen! I know you folks call 'em Halibut, but I swear they are identical to our flounder, just look like they live in Jurrassic Park :)

Edited by Silentpardner on 09/17/13 - 5:06 PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 1:20 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 27
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,076,481 unique visits