View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Left Navigation gone?
gary0319
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 8:24 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Tried on IE, Firefox and Safari and the left navigation is gone. I'm looking for the "articles" link.

May be pilot error on my part, though??

Gary

1998 Dauntless 15 - 1998 Mercury 60

dauntless-n-miami
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 8:36 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Senor Gary0319, how is the Admiral and her first mate doing these days? You guy's on our West coast (Sarasota to be exact) have been seeing some interesting weather as of late.

Joe Kriz had a recent post regarding the possible removal or the left side menu bar, the personal message (PM) option has also been deactivated as of late due to some issues with spamming and others.

On a lighter note, how's the Dauntless treating you?

Angel M.

Edited by dauntless-n-miami on 07/24/13 - 8:38 AM
1996 Dauntless 15, Sportsman Pkg. - 2007 Yamaha 90 HP 2-Stroke

Jay Fitz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 8:49 AM
Personal Page

gary0319 wrote:
Tried on IE, Firefox and Safari and the left navigation is gone. I'm looking for the "articles" link.

Gary

We all woke up to this same new layout...waiting to here from Joe.

CES
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 10:45 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Jay Fitz wrote:
gary0319 wrote:

Gary

We all woke up to this same new layout...waiting to here from Joe.

Yep...only shows five of the most recent threads.

Personally I loved the site when we had the old format of showing recent threads and the personal page updates at the bottom.... For me, I visited the PP much more often than I do when they aren't on the front page.

But....as a user, I have to "Roll with the changes in time".....

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

gary0319
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 12:53 PM
Personal Page

dauntless-n-miami wrote:
Senor Gary0319, how is the Admiral and her first mate doing these days? You guy's on our West coast (Sarasota to be exact) have been seeing some interesting weather as of late.

Joe Kriz had a recent post regarding the possible removal or the left side menu bar, the personal message (PM) option has also been deactivated as of late due to some issues with spamming and others.

On a lighter note, how's the Dauntless treating you?

Angel M.

Hi Angel,

On the weather front, the "Top Brass" and I were fishing on Sunday and the Bay has cleaned up pretty good after all the storms. She boated our first ever Spanish Mackerel so we'll be out again soon. The Dauntless continues to treat us fine and get good comments from all who see her.

On the menu bar........ I miss the old version. I guess I could try to use the site map, but it has waaaaaaayyyy too many entries to be of any help to me.

Gary

1998 Dauntless 15 - 1998 Mercury 60

Joe Kriz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 1:37 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I was under the impression that most people didn't use or care about anything in the left "Navigation" panel.
Who uses it?

I asked a question about adding a new link in the Navigation panel 4 months ago.
Not one response.
Let me repeat that, Not one response.
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...d_id=16816

I also asked basically the same question a couple of days ago and had only 2 responses until I decided to turn off the Navigation panel.
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...d_id=17736

So maybe I should ask this. Who uses it?
Certainly not the members that ask questions like this:
Are there any photos on WhalerCentral?
Are there any articles on WhalerCentral?
Are there any downloads on WhalerCentral?
Certainly those people don't want to be bothered with the Navigation panel.
The "Site Map" might be better for those people.

I have turned off:
Random Article Panel (not many read it)
Random Download Panel (not many read it)
Latest Article Panel (not many read it)
Latest Download Panel (not many read it)
The WhalerCentral top center header with random personal pages, random part photos, part photos index, and random Whaler model photos.
and
the Navigation panel.

I have left 3 links in the upper left under the WhalerCentral logo.
Home - Site Search - Site Map

This slims the site down quite a bit and just focuses on the Discussion areas.

For an idea of what people may miss is the articles link.
Look at the top of this Article link we used to have.
http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...ticles.php
Top Left = Latest Articles [with read count]
Top Right = Popular Articles [with read count]
and then the bottom center is all the Article categories.
To me that link along with others like the Downloads were as easy way to find things.
Apparently not to the members that never clicked on them.

Should we have a Poll?
Tell me what you want.
Or, I will have to make decisions based on what the traffic on the site looks at.

Just trying to simplify things and make it easy for everyone.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/24/13 - 1:39 PM

Jay Fitz
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 1:57 PM
Personal Page

I just went to the library to get some books for my 10 year old. There is lots of things to peruse and use at your local library: books, magazines, DVD's, museum passes, artwork, CD's, etc. Did I look at and/or use every possible resource, no I didn't. Did I get a book for me and a few for my son? Yes.

Not every person will use every resource that is available.

I say that using the traffic info that you have available to you as the owner of the site, yeah sure, remove the least popular links. Keep the most popular and maybe look into a redesign of the home page (or site map) for easier navigation. For my business site I use a young web designer who is inexpensive and good. There are many of them out there...

Just my $.02

sraab928
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 2:19 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

I for one used the navigation panel - but I will now use the site map - The one change I dont care for is the reduction in current threads - Now I have to click view recent posts which is ok - just more to go through as one thread may have 5 recent posts but its a thread I dont care about - I liked the condensed readers digest version of what was new on the front page.

Ive said it many times - its your site - do with it as you would like.

As for the many people asking the questions you feel are contained in the navigation bar - I would estimate that most of them are newer members who havent posted very often/much. I really dont think its fair to lump the rest of us in that group.

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

Joe Kriz
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 2:36 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Jay Fitz wrote:
For my business site I use a young web designer who is inexpensive and good. There are many of them out there...

I highly doubt any of them know anything about PHP or using a database. Especially at a cheap rate.

Still doesn't answer my questions mentioned above.

Everyone:
Either answer the question to help the site out, or keep the negative comments to yourself.
Should we have a Poll?
Tell me what you want.

kamie
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 2:54 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Most folks coming out of college these days know PHP, ruby, databases including MySQL ( really rather dated now), hadoop and a lot more stuff. But the discussion is does anyone use the left nav? Joe's decision point is the fact that no one responded to a thread he posted about a new link he added. Sorry, I did see the thread, didn't notice the link and didn't feel the need to comment on the thread. I do or I guess I did use the left nav a lot, personally I hate site maps, too many words, not enough pictures.

Joe, if your goal in life is to stop the first time uses from asking all those basic questions, you should give up now because that will never happen. It's easier to ask a question in a forum then to search for the answer yourself. There is no forum i have been on or managed that was successful, although plenty of admins have tried.

As Scott noted, it's your site.

ugageo
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 2:54 PM
Personal Page

Used the left navigation pain and liked it.

Mike

DKroger
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 3:11 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I myself liked the way the forum was, I may not have been able to tell you the new added items and not used all of the features that the sight offers but liked the way it was. I really appreciate all the hard work that you put into this forum. I am still learning thing every time I look at it. Joe, Thanks so very much for your time.
Dennis

Edited by DKroger on 07/24/13 - 3:15 PM
1980 13 Custom w/ 48 Evinrude
DK

mtown
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 3:22 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

I definitely liked the navigation bar and also the random photos ect. as it would remind me of stuff I wanted to check out. It was not every visit that I used either, but it was not every visit that I even logged on. As others have said it is your site. My computer skills are borderline non-existent and I found the site more friendly in the previous format.

surfskating
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 3:31 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I used it ..... Alot!

Joe Kriz
#15 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 3:35 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

kamie wrote:
Joe's decision point is the fact that no one responded to a thread he posted about a new link he added. Sorry, I did see the thread, didn't notice the link and didn't feel the need to comment on the thread.

Kamie, basically this has a lot to do with.
Even when I add new links, and ask if anyone has seen them.
I get absolutely NO response when I even ask a question.
This basically tells me that no one really cares about those new links and then maybe not even the older ones in the Navigation panel. So then, why have the Navigation panel?

The last month or so I have added:
1. Members Avatars
2. Members Boat Model Count
3. Members Signatures
4. I have also added many things to the members profile. All anyone needs to do is click on anyone's name to bring up a lot more information in a members profile then we used to have in there.
Still not much response.
Click on your name and see. And then click on someone else's name.

If we don't get any response, then we usually assume it was a failure.
Like, I gave a party but no one showed up. Even had free beer and soda.

True, we are not going to change the way new members look at things.
That isn't going to change and I am not trying to swim against the current.
However, we have had several members here for years with plenty of posts asking some questions just like that.
That is another reason I started looking more at the Navigation Panel and the Site Map.
Even updated the Site Map with new items.

The site itself will not be changed at this time. We are basically debating on the Navigation Panel.
PHP (and any database) website works just fine.
Maybe someday html5 (and any database) website will win over what we have now.

I have another question in the Discussion area with a Poll for the Navigation panel or not.
We wil see the outcome.
All the members can decide whether they want the Navigation Panel or not.
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...d_id=17766

Everyone can have a say and suggest things.

John Fyke
#16 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 3:37 PM
Personal Page

Joe Kriz wrote:
Jay Fitz wrote:
For my business site I use a young web designer who is inexpensive and good. There are many of them out there...

I highly doubt any of them know anything about PHP or using a database. Especially at a cheap rate.

Still doesn't answer my questions mentioned above.

Everyone:
Either answer the question to help the site out, or keep the negative comments to yourself.
Should we have a Poll?
Tell me what you want.

I vote for the navigation panel.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

89Outrage20
#17 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 3:53 PM

As a new user, the navigation panel seemed very helpful for me, its nice to see a list of options without feeling like I need to "dig" to see what is available. I too, just cast my vote for a "yes" on the Navigation panel, and it looks like there is a 100% "yes" vote to keep it so far.

My guess on the posts asking questions about whether people have seen or viewed something is this. I may see the question posted, which might make me look for it, view it, respond, ignore, whatever. When i am done, I am likely not going to go back and answer the original question as I have either forgotten or didn't want to spend the 30 seconds to go back and reply to something that at that point seems redundent to me. I am probably in the minority here, but hey, I'm used to it.

On a side note, this site is awesome! I am new to the Whaler owner community and I can't tell you how often I wonder about something and log on and search for things OR get nosey and read thru new threads to read about other peoples great ideas as maybe something to do to my boat that I hadn't originally thought of. The site didn't seem like it was broken before, so in my eyes, nothing to fix. I don't know the back end, nor do I care to. I use my brain power for what its good at, and website tech. mgmt is NOT one of them.

Cheers guys!

chadillac
#18 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 5:36 PM
Personal Page

I might be the only one, but I miss the random personal page button... Clicked it almost every visit.

Edited by chadillac on 07/24/13 - 5:37 PM

wing15601
#19 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 6:11 PM

Joe, I use, or, used, it all the time. There was so much content there that I didn't have it memorized so I couldn't identify which item was new. It's my opinion that you've removed a valuable research tool. I think the people who ask questions about where things are which are on the navigation panel are new and haven't spent a lot of time on the site. I think you've made those things less obvious now and it seems there is less information to be gleaned from the site.

Edited by wing15601 on 07/24/13 - 6:15 PM
I winter in Ft. Myers and summer in St. Joseph, Michigan. It’s now about 12 years since I’ve joined this group. I gave my 1972 whaler to my daughter and sold the 17’. Bought an O’Day 28 sailboat and sailed on Lake Michigan. Yesterday I bought a 2005 130 Sport.

Marko888
#20 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/13 - 6:24 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 10

I use the left side Nav panel, the random PP button, links to members personal sites and contact info, links to articles and parts photos, all the time.

I really liked the site as it was, and am now having a tough time getting to what I'm after.

I vote for a return to the "normal" of about a week ago.

Thank you.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 16, 2024 - 2:28 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Nevillberger
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,091
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,467,345 unique visits