View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Members Signatures
Joe Kriz
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/13 - 6:22 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Signatures seems to have gotten out of hand.

I have spent several days going through members signatures and removing links and people showing more then one Whaler in their signature.
Please. only one Whaler in your signature along with your name if you choose.
This is a Whaler site so no other boats are relative to us.

Please read the Code of Conduct again about "Signatures".
http://www.whalercentral.com/viewpage...age_id=118

Your Boat Info in your profile is the place to list all the Whalers you own or have owned.
A member can click on your name and see all the Whalers you own or have owned if you have them listed there.

I created a new page called "Members Signatures".
http://www.whalercentral.com/viewpage...age_id=160
This makes it much easier for the admins and members to view members signatures all in one page.

We all know what a signature is. Originally the signature is for members that use "Handles" as their username.
The signature is the place to put your real name if you choose so people know who you really are.
If you don't want people to know who you are, then there is really no need for a signature.

So, please, keep it simple or don't put anything at all.
Thanks for your co-operation.

sraab928
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/23/13 - 4:20 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

Going through the signatures (post editing) it appears to be ok to list your boat as well as a quote or saying of some sort. Am I correct about that?
I have chosen to remove the Whaler you left in my signature as I see no point in choosing which one to list. Its like picking a favorite or saying one is more prominent then the other. The reason people list their current Whalers in the their signatures is so when people are reading their posts it helps put context to that persons Whaler experience is. At least for me it does.

Maybe you should chose to make a character limit or something like that to avoid the signatures that are bothering your or cluttering up the page.

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

Mad Hunt
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/23/13 - 5:06 AM

Comments: 0

+1

sraab928 wrote:
Going through the signatures (post editing) it appears to be ok to list your boat as well as a quote or saying of some sort. Am I correct about that?
I have chosen to remove the Whaler you left in my signature as I see no point in choosing which one to list. Its like picking a favorite or saying one is more prominent then the other. The reason people list their current Whalers in the their signatures is so when people are reading their posts it helps put context to that persons Whaler experience is. At least for me it does.

Maybe you should chose to make a character limit or something like that to avoid the signatures that are bothering your or cluttering up the page.

JKIAD

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/23/13 - 10:30 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Unfortunately, too many members listed every boat they ever owned.
Including adding (Sold) after that boat in their signature.

If one person listed 2 or 3 boats, then the next person would list 5 or 6 boats, and the next person had way more then that.

Like I said, it was getting out of hand.

I agree with having a Whaler there so people know what boat you have at a glance.
For those that currently have more then one, yes, you would need to choose to list just one, or none at all. Otherwise, where do you draw the limit?
People can click on your name to bring up your profile to see what Whalers you own or have owned. That's easy.

There needs to be some kind of limit or rules of engagement.
I haven't gotten that far as to "Sayings" and if we should allow them or not.
Do they have a purpose in signatures?

sraab928
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/23/13 - 10:44 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

I am not sure if sayings have a purpose or not - I assume for each person thats a matter of individual preference. I figure it was a matter of keeping the page clean and simple - if that is the case then a simple name should do as some signatures can get busy with a saying/phrase as well. I am not saying they should be outlawed - I am saying you need to make a call on what it is you are trying to achieve with your site.

I had always kept my signatures to current boats I own but for some people (myself included) that list can get long - My all time high was 7 boats at one time. Right now I have 4 of which 2 are Whalers. I could not chose which one to list - for me its like picking a favorite child - I guess deep inside you may know that answer but you really would never go public about it....lol

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

Joe Kriz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/23/13 - 11:08 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

I guess deep inside you may know that answer but you really would never go public about it....lol

Good one Scott.

I had 3 Whalers at one time.
The Montauk I owned for 15 years had a lot of sentimental memories and good times.
Then came the Outrage 17' along with the Outrage 18'.
We sold the Outrage 17' because we decided we liked the Classic models.
Then, when it came time to go boating, we had a choice of the Montauk or the Outrage 18'.
We always chose to take the Outrage 18'.
So, with tears in our eyes, we eventually sold the Montauk 17'.

Can't sell your kids. At least legally anyway. :-)

EJO
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/13 - 7:40 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

I agree with listing current owned BW's. (plural) I like Scott , also own many boats (currently) and some of them are even Sailboats and not trailerable. We'll keep them of the signature list

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

Joe Kriz
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/13 - 11:34 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

I have updated the Members Profile section.

1. Members Avatar
The members avatar shows up in his profile if he uploads one.
To see a complete list of all members Avatars, see this list. http://www.whalercentral.com/viewpage...age_id=159

2. Members Email
If a member does not have his email hidden, it will show up so other members can send them an email.
This is more secure then putting your email address in the public forum section where everyone in the world can gather your email for spamming purposes.

3. Personal Website link
If a member lists their personal website it will show up in their profile
To see a complete list of members personal websites, see this list. http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...ites_3.php

4. Location
If a member lists their location it will show up in their profile.
This is required of all members so we know at least what state you are from.
To see a complete list of members locations to find someone near you, see this list and click on User Location.
http://www.whalercentral.com/members_...newest.php

5. Statistics
If a member has a Personal Page, Project Album, Photo Album, etc.
This will show up in their profile.
It also shows up under your name in the forum posts you make so members can easily view your Photos.
Personal Pages http://www.whalercentral.com/viewpage...page_id=65
Photo Albums http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...lery_2.php
Project Albums http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...lery_3.php

6. All Posts and Threads by a member will show up and have a link so others can see every post or thread you have made.
Just click on the link to view their Posts or Threads.

7. Members Boat Information
This has always been the place to list all the Whalers you currently own or have owned. This is better then putting it in a signature.
Here, only the members boats he entered are shown in his profile.
For a complete list of all members and all their Whalers, see this list. http://www.whalercentral.com/boat_lis...st/bl1.php

8. Signature
The signature now shows up in the members profile if they have included it.
Please keep it simple and no more then one Whaler.
This was not designed to be the boat info area.
The vast majority of the members here only have one Whaler. So we are keeping it at one for convenience sake.
To view a complete list of signatures, see this list. http://www.whalercentral.com/viewpage...age_id=160

If you want to know anything about a member, just click on their name and that will bring up their profile.
Try clicking on my name just to see what I am talking about above.

Any comments or other suggestions, just let us know here.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 06/25/13 - 1:30 PM

Joe Kriz
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/13 - 5:27 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Had another member today list about 10 boats that weren't Whaler and they all had SOLD by them.
I had to delete this persons signature as it was not a signature as we stated above.

Please, a signature is not the place to list all the Whalers or non Whalers you have ever owned. This is a Whaler site, not a general boating site.

The place to list your Whalers you own or have owned is in your Boat Info.
All your Whalers will show up in your profile and on this list.
http://www.whalercentral.com/boat_lis...st/bl1.php

Joe Kriz
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/08/14 - 4:58 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Another friendly reminder.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 04/08/14 - 5:45 PM

VW Whaler
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/08/14 - 5:56 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Sorry man I will pull it , oh that's not all the cars I have owed but just some I own now. Will try and keep it relivent, just got carried away :)

1968 13 ft whaler
Erick

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 16, 2024 - 3:27 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,476,349 unique visits