View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Height of Stern Light?
kamie
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/07 - 3:12 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

I am getting ready to build a stern light for the 18Outrage. It will not be totally OEM, but I was curious how tall it needs to be? 3 feet seems way too short and 6 feet seems way too long?

Thanks

cdnwhaler
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/07 - 6:34 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Kamie,
I think the minimum height is determined by your CG regulations in the U.S. like it is here. You may want to check the reg's first then go from there

I'm interested to hear what you do because I'd like to get rid of the light on the console which our CG doesn't like when we're standing at the helm.

Peter

1984 Outrage 22

Buckda
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/07 - 6:53 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Kamie -

The stern light on your 18' outrage needs to be tall enough to "clear" a visual line to the lamp over the outboard powerhead.

If you are keeping the OEM lighting and discussing the rearward facing stern light only and keeping the steaming light (Masthead light) at the console.

One of the advantages of the T-Top on Evenstar was the solution to this somewhat complex navigation light arrangement on the Classic Whalers. If you're going with an all-around (360 degree) light at the stern like most currently designed pleasurecraft under 25 feet long, then you need to elevate the lamp to a specific height above the red/green bow nav lights. JimH on ContinuousWave.com has specified the CFR that has this measurement, however, I believe I recall it as 3 feet above the red/green. DO NOT TAKE THAT AS GOSPEL...check my numbers!

I Hope this helps.

Peter -

This is a major challenge on an Outrage - you may wish to consider an arch to "solve" the problem as your CG sees it!

By the way - if it's working correctly, they don't have to like it....but it's legal!

I do a lot of night-time/post dusk boating....how do you think GAMBLER got an arch?!!

Hint - it wasn't for rod storage.

Cheers.

Dave

cdnwhaler
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/07 - 9:07 AM
Personal Page

My dilemma is when I sit on the RPS, with the forward shelter up I can't see where I'm going. If I stand up at 6ft 2in I block the light on the console and the stern which I've been stopped for on our busier patrolled lakes while watching fireworks with the kids. The all-round white light must be seen at all times as all-round. No intermittent tall over-weight bodies allowed. So I planned to do what Kamie's attempting, build a new, very tall, stern light.

Maybe in my next life I can afford an arch but in the meantime I just raised the console 6 inches and the RPS 6 inches so I'm hoping I'll be able to sit and see over over the forward shelter. Then maybe not block the lights.

n the end though I'll probably end up trying to create a goofy 6 or 8 ft stern light that'll be visible when all the canvas is up so there's no argument with our CG, OPP, RCMP, Port Authority and whom ever the heck else patrol our waterways.

Technically, I think your rules are similar in that the all-round white light must be 3ft higher than the red/green navigation lights as you suggest.

Kamie's done some incredible work to Evenstar this year. and I look forward to hearing how she resolves the concern.

Peter

Edited by cdnwhaler on 06/10/07 - 9:14 AM
1984 Outrage 22

Buckda
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/07 - 9:53 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Peter -

I hear you - that exact concern (use of the light with canvas up) in Georgian Bay several years ago is what prompted me to "solve the problem". The glare back from the windshield makes it impossible to use the boat at night with the canvas up.

A tall stern all-around light on a very long mast is a good solution if you're not a fisherman. The Revenge Series has this solution (JimH's Revenge 20 had one). The problem is where to store it when not in use? Especially when using the boat for fishing too.

Besides that, you want the light to be elevated enough to keep the glare out of your eyes when looking aft, and to reduce backscatter on the deck. A glare shield may work well for this.

If I weren't going to have an arch or T-Top on the boat, I'd consider a very tall (8'Wink mast in the rear, with a LED white all-around light on top. Re-wire your switch to run this lamp off your "stern light" setting and also for the "anchor" setting, since this new config will do double duty.

The total cost should not be more than 100 in parts - finding the appropriate size tubing may be the challenge. Use the OEM stern lamp fittings to secure it at the stern.

If the boat is being used for cruising, you can leave the light up....when fishing, either bring it along if you're going to be out after dusk, or perhaps bungee it to the bow rail to get it out of your way...or just fish around it!

Not elegant - but it'd work.

I will also be interested to see how Kamie solves this challenge. She's doing a first class job on the rest of the boat - I'm sure she'll come up with a first-rate solution.

Dave

Joe Kriz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/07 - 10:13 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I guess you missed this in the Articles section.
There is a complete step by step instruction on fabricating all the parts needed.
Of course you can improvise on the methods used to accommodate your needs.

http://www.whalercentral.com/readarti...icle_id=23

I have a stern light from a Revenge model also. I am not sure how tall it is as I haven't measured it but it is over 6 feet tall I believe. It also has the 360º Perko light on top.
As Dave points out, stowing it can be a problem...

Edited by Joe Kriz on 06/10/07 - 10:17 AM

kamie
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/07 - 10:20 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

I looked up the CFR and it says the all around light needs to be 1 meter higher than the side lights. Which basically means, I am purchasing the 6 foot SS 1 1/4 tube from McMaster. If I need to cut it or if I choose to leave it a full 6 feet is TBD. Basically my plan is to create an all around light for the stern using a Perko pole light, a teak washer, 6 foot SS tube and the two wire trailer plug. I really don't go out that much at night, but as I travel farther from home, I might be in that situation. Once built I will determine if I need the glare shield installed.

WARNING....WARNING...THIS WILL NOT LOOK O.E.M!!

http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q1...amster_666
Perko Pole Light I am planning to use. The light is 4 inches tall, washer will be 3/4 of an inch and the SS tube will be either 6' or less depending on need. Total max height of the stern light will be 6' 4".

I don't think it would be stable to have a longer tube so this may be the max height you could get using the bracket and resting the stern light on the deck.

Joe Kriz
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/07 - 10:27 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

kamie,

I will measure my Revenge Stern light later on today when I get a chance.

If you use an original Perko light, it will look OEM.... Cool
I think they still sell a 360º that was used on the Revenge style stern lights.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 06/10/07 - 10:40 AM

cdnwhaler
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/07 - 10:35 AM
Personal Page

I've yet to research it but I've wondered why we can't take a 6 ft light mast, cut it in half, leaving all the wiring in place, then make it so there is either an inside sleeve or an outside collar to hold it together when needed. A folding light mast basically.

Peter

1984 Outrage 22

kamie
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/07 - 11:52 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Joe,

That is a possibility now that I need to order the SS tube. I could order PKO0371DP0CHR which I believe is the stern light used on the Revenge series. I was trying to do this without ordering parts, no luck.

The plan remains the same though, mount the light on a teak washer and fasten the washer to the SS tube, either using set screws or contact adhesive.

Joe Kriz
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/07 - 11:56 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

kamie,

I just measured my stern lights.

1. Outrage series = 3 feet
2. Revenge series = 6 feet

kamie
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/07 - 12:17 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Thanks Joe,
BTW, I didn't miss the wonderful article about how to build one better than OEM. That is where I figured out I needed 1 1/4 inch tube and all West Marine sells is 1 inch. Looks like it's time to order more parts and get busy.
Parts list:
McMaster - p/n 89995K64 SS 6 foot 1 1/4 OD tube. <- going cheaper as this is welded as seemless is twice the price.
Perko - PKO0371DP0CHR 1 1/2 inches high by 2 1/2 inches in diameter all around light

Tom W Clark
#13 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/07 - 5:57 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

I have an OE Whaler 360 degree stern light from my Revenge Walk Through in my basement. It has been surplused since the installation of my RADAR arch and nav light reconfiguration.

This light stands 8'-4" tall overall. The pole is anodized aluminum which is what Whaler used early on and (apparently) on my 1988 Revenge as well.)

I may as well sell it if anybody is interested.

Kamie, if you build your own, be careful of what tubing you use. You want a very thin wall ornamental tubing, not industrial pipe. The weight will be considerable if the wall thickness is too great.

Tom W Clark
#14 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/07 - 6:02 AM
Personal Page

Kamie,

I just looked up the McMaster-Carr part number you listed. That is .065 tubing. That is WAY too heavy for your intended use. Also be aware that it is not polished and you will have to expend some effort to make is presentable.

I bought some thinwall tubing from McMaster-Carr a few years ago. The finish was industrial, not ornamental. I was able to chuck the tubing into a sort of home-made lathe using a drill motor and spinning it while holding it in a sand paper wrapped hand and thus giving it a brushed finish that looks pretty good. It took some time and patience to get all the markings and scratches out of it though.

Edited by Tom W Clark on 06/11/07 - 6:03 AM

kamie
#15 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/07 - 8:22 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Tom,
are you saying I could use thinner tubing? The .065 was the used for the stern light fabrication article http://www.whalercentral.com/readarti...icle_id=23 which is why I picked it.

Tom W Clark
#16 Print Post
Posted on 06/12/07 - 7:20 AM
Personal Page

kamie,

.065" is WAY too thick. You want .035".

kamie
#17 Print Post
Posted on 06/12/07 - 11:46 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Thanks Tom. The tubing will be at my house when I get home from work. Will take photo's and post. I will also look to order the .35 and return the .65

snowblind
#18 Print Post
Posted on 06/12/07 - 12:25 PM
Personal Page

tom,
did you say you were willing to part with the revenge stern light?
if so, please PM or email me.
thanks
Joe

kamie
#19 Print Post
Posted on 06/12/07 - 2:13 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Tom,
.35 or .49? The 1 inch railing I got from West was .49?

Tom W Clark
#20 Print Post
Posted on 06/13/07 - 5:28 AM
Personal Page

Kamie,

Whaler rails are made using .049" tubing. .065" tubing is extra strong and used by some manufacturers, but not many. the .035" tubing is the thinnest I can find on the McMaster-Carr web site. The OE stainless steel stern light used by Whaler may have had even thinner tubing. I have made two stern lights myself and the last one I used the .035" tubing from McMaster-Carr. It is as heavy as I would dare to use.

Joe, I would consider that if you have an appropriate home for my orphaned light. Send me an email.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 15, 2024 - 8:20 PM
Users Online
Welcome
gdean
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,090
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.26 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,450,399 unique visits