View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Fuel Demand Valve
wlagarde
#21 Print Post
Posted on 08/11/15 - 5:15 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 2

The fuel demand valve is needed with the new carb rated portable tanks. With the new tanks the fuel cap provides for pressurization of the tank to prevent from releasing volatilized gasoline into the atmosphere. Without the the fuel demand valve pressurized fuel is transmitted to the engine. This will cause flooding in the instance of carbureted engines. The fuel demand valve is a pressure drop regular. I had one installed on my Sport 15 without problems until I removed it when I recently installed my new custom aluminum tank.

1976 Sport 15 w/ 2005 50hp Nissan 2 stroke

wlagarde
#22 Print Post
Posted on 08/11/15 - 5:18 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 2

Finnegan wrote:
Who wants bulged-out, pressurized tanks on a your boat on a sunny day? It sounds to me like the solution is to put a conventional vent-screw cap on a new tank. The whole situation sounds like trying to kill an elephant with a BB gun.

Agree - once can convert the carb rated tank to a standard one by switching to a standard vented cap.

1976 Sport 15 w/ 2005 50hp Nissan 2 stroke

Cape Fear
#23 Print Post
Posted on 08/11/15 - 8:55 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Thanks, the vacuum restriction of the Attwood FDV says less than 2kPa (0.29 PSI). I don't know if that is significant with an older Mercury 90hp fuel pump or not. I'm mainly concerned about a pressure drop and restricted flow.

williamlv17
#24 Print Post
Posted on 12/14/23 - 4:50 PM

Comments: 0

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I wanted to let everyone know that these can indeed cause vacuum locks. I have a 2014 Dauntless 170 with a 90hp Mercuriy. The boat is equipped with an IDFV (integrated fuel demand valve) on my fuel tank. I have been experiencing RPM drops after about a half hour of running the boat. Shortly after this, the motor will die and become unable to restart.

I suspected the IFDV and ordered one as a replacement (actually kind of difficult to find the correct one. Mine is an Atwood 99ifdv00-1) Every time I took a technician to the boat or tried to recreate the issue, I couldn't (figures.) I figured it was just related to the hot weather in summer causing the tank to swell.

Well, today (December 14th) when I took the boat out, it happened again where I lost RPMs, the motor died and I could not restart the motor. It acts like the fuel pump is bad and there is no prime to the fuel system. The motor will turn over but never fire up.

I popped the fuel cap open today out of curiosity and immediately all the pressure released from the tank. I went to start the motor and it started right up with no issues. I had to take the boat back into the marina with the fuel cap open the entire time.

I'll be replacing the fuel demand valve before going out again.

Phil T
#25 Print Post
Posted on 12/14/23 - 5:59 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Remove it. Nothing but trouble.

If you have a below deck tank, it is vented.

If you are running portable tanks, replace the cap with a manual vent or pull the restrictor out of the underside of the cap.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 7:23 PM
Users Online
Welcome
twalker
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 23
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,106
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,527,500 unique visits