View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
My 15' Boston Whaler without a bilge pump
rusty hook
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/12 - 12:59 PM

Comments: 0

My dumb question:
My 15' Boston Whaler came without a bilge pump. When I install a bilge pump where do I run the discharge hose, into the tray with two outlets or over the transom tied down, thanx.

MY favorite two days of the week for fishing are TODAY & TOMORROW.

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/12 - 1:00 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Moved to the "Boat" discussion area instead of General.

FlyAU98
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/12 - 4:54 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Easy. You don't install one. It doesn't need it.

A 15' with a normal sized (<= 70HP) engine is self bailing without people in the back. When you tie up for the day, pull the plug.

Get a small manual pump if you think you'll need to pump water out while you are in it, or pull the plug and run fast, the water will drain right out.

If you insist on a bilge pump, you need to secure the discharge hose over the transom.

rusty hook
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/12 - 5:23 PM

It used to have one in it because i see where the old clear RTV was around the bottom, thanx, Doylle

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/12 - 5:35 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

What is RTV?

Royal Touring Vehicle?

michael_l
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/12 - 6:17 PM
Personal Page

RTV is a type of common silicone. (room temperature vulcanizing). But I do like Joe's answer!

Mike
1964 Sport 13

rusty hook
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/12 - 6:37 PM

RTV:
RTV Silicone - Automotive Adhesive, the colors we used at work were clear, white and red and blue
Our maint. crew used it for sealing gaskets, etc
Outside the plant at home projects we used it to put on slippery knife handles for better grip and used for when adding depth finder transducers. Put on the screws for a water tight fit. GE makes it, Pematex I believe also. I used some clear approx two days ago when I installed my dept finder and GPS. I used it to seal around the holes I cut for those two items.
Some old folks use GE 4300, GE 4200, but that is for permanent use.

Edited by rusty hook on 07/09/12 - 6:45 PM

blacksmithdog
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/12 - 4:40 AM
Personal Page

rusty hook wrote:
My dumb question:
My 15' Boston Whaler came without a bilge pump. When I install a bilge pump where do I run the discharge hose, into the tray with two outlets or over the transom tied down, thanx.

My 1992 (Joe, notice the 4 digit year? ) GLS had a bilge pump when I bought it. I personally don't see a need for one in a 15 footer, so I took it out. But, the discharge hose emptied out in the well.

Jeff
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/12 - 5:01 AM

Comments: 34

While it my not be a have to have, I have always had them in the 15' Super Sport as well as my 17' Montauk and Newport. There have been two instances where I was greatful I had them installed. Both times the cockpit had filled with water that was several inches above the deck itself making the boat very unstable. So much so that it would have been irresponsible due to the sea conditions to leave the helm to try and get into the stern to try and fish a plug out. Thankfully I had the bilge and was able to exhuast the water without having to take my attention away from piloting.

To each their own, I for one think they are a nice thing to have aboard.

As for exhuasting from the pump, while it should be exhuasted overboard I have always had mine exhuast into the splashwell to then drain overboard.

Edited by Jeff on 07/10/12 - 5:03 AM
1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Paulsv
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/12 - 7:49 AM
Personal Page

I wouldn't be without a bilge pump in my Montauk. Exiting the channels from inland lakes to Lake Michigan, the exit is very crowded and can get very choppy, especially on a windy day. Then some idiot with a huge Cigarette boat slams open the throttles in front of you, leaving a huge hole in the water, and you suddenly have green water coming in over the bow. I had so much water in my boat, I doubt I could have gotten it up on plane to drain it by removing the plug. And I wouldn't have wanted to get up on plane with several drenched teenage girls jumping around grabbing towels and saving their IPods. The bilge pump handled it fairly quickly. I now make sure to have passengers come aft while exiting the channel on all but the smoothest days, to keep the bow light.

I would definitely run the drain over the transom. I use a piece of clear plastic tubing, secured with plastic wire ties. I always flip it on for a few seconds before I start the motor, to make sure I can hear that it is working, having once blown a fuse because of a worn out switch. Also, I routinely check the tunnel where it is mounted to make sure there is no debris that could block the pump.

Tom W Clark
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/12 - 8:25 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

I would not bother with a bilge pump in a little 15 footer or any small Whaler for that matter.

One of the first things I did when I bought my last Montauk was remove the bilge pump. It just clutters the sump area, makes it hard to remove/insert the plug and adds a bunch of wiring mess and adds the potential of running the battery down.

tedious
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/12 - 9:50 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I don't have a bilge pump in my 15 and haven't missed it, but it's up to you whether to install one. You can discharge over the transom or into the motorwell - both will work. My preference would be to go over the transom - why not get it all the way out of the boat at one shot?

If you do go over the transom, keep the outlet as high out of the water as possible: http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...d_id=15041

Tim

Jay Fitz
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/12 - 10:47 AM
Personal Page

Tom W Clark wrote:
makes it hard to remove/insert the plug

Wait....I'm still a newbie, but I've been inserting the plug OUTSIDE the boat before heading to the ramp. Should it be inserted in the bilge area? Or, does it not matter?

Tom W Clark
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/12 - 11:04 AM
Personal Page

Never insert the plug from the outside. How are you going to pull it if it is there?

DennisVollrath
#15 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/12 - 11:10 AM
Personal Page

I had these same questions when I was starting to work on my Montauk. I very much appreciated all of the advice, weighed the arguments, and looked at how I anticipated using my boat. In the end, I installed one. I like to crab, and the pots often drag up a bunch of muck and yuck which ends up on deck. Since I am now keeping my boat in the water, I'll wash down the deck with the hose at my marina & drain the water using the bilge pump. Hopefully the mud that is in solution won't affect the pump's lifespan too much, but I will find out.

I also could have left the plug out when docked and drained the mess out the next run, but I like to have a dry deck and at this point in my boating career I haven't figured out the trick of leaving the helm when I am solo and on plane to put a plug in, and being comfortable about doing so. I'm sure it is a matter of technique and experience.

If I was trailering, I probably would have made a different choice.

Dennis

1985 Outrage 18 with Suzuki DF140A

Jay Fitz
#16 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/12 - 11:22 AM
Personal Page

Tom W Clark wrote:
Never insert the plug from the outside. How are you going to pull it if it is there?

Well.... that just makes a whole lot of sense. You get banged over the head so much with "Is the plug in?!?!" that I never thought as to why, or when, you would need to remove it while underway.

I also have a pump, but have not tested it yet...think I'll do that.

Swamp
#17 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/12 - 1:06 PM

Tom,

Could you please describe the process to dewater a Montauk while operating the boat alone without a pump? Do you recommend leaving the helm to access the plug while underway or slowing to idle?

I always thought the safest thing to do would be remain at the helm, keep the bow pointed into the sea, and let the bilge pump do its thing, provided there is one. It only takes a few seconds for a Montauk to turn beam to the sea, which could be bad with a boat full of water.

Just trying to say safe is all.

Joe Kriz
#18 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/12 - 1:59 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Drain plug goes inside....

For people that fish in heavy rain like many of us get caught in sometimes.... You need a bilge pump......

I troll a lot for Salmon in rivers where there are many boats. I do not have the luxury of pulling the plug and speeding up as there are too many boats in the way.

I have fished on heavy rainy days when the bitting was great and the boat would fill up with water to my ankles.
The only way to get rid of the water was my bilge pump.
Either an automatic one or manual is mandatory for my needs....

rusty hook
#19 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/12 - 3:52 PM

I am going to install another bilge pump and run the hose over the transom. I have one in every boat I have owned. I also install he plug from inside, just in case the pump will not work or battery is drained.
So I guess it's to each his own. But I would rather have one and not have use it rather than not have one and really need one.
I do remember back in the 60's when I had a 12' aluminum flat bottom and 5hp Eska air cooled on the back and got caught out in a bad rain storm on Lake Sam Rayburn. My little boat was filling up and there was nothing I could do because the waves were too high. I finally made it back to the shore, loaded up and came home. Sold that boat in 2 days and bought a 14" Jon with a 18hp Johnson and installed a bilge pump in it. Never was that scared again.

Edited by rusty hook on 07/10/12 - 3:59 PM

Tom W Clark
#20 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/12 - 6:19 PM
Personal Page

To dewater a Montauk without a bilge pump, I would usually ask a passenger to just pull the plug. If I was by myself I would bail it out with the sponge that I kept aboard, though I would be a liar if I said I never went back and pulled the plug myself. I do not recommend that.

A simple sponge kept in the sump was always very useful for clean-up, especially when fishing with blood and guts all over. Kept in the sump it is always full of water and ready to be rung out in the splashwell. The boat does not need to be in motion at all. What could be simpler?

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 6, 2024 - 1:03 AM
Users Online
Welcome
mthimineur
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,053
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.36 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,280,501 unique visits