View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1995 Johnson?
Prflyer
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/05 - 2:01 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

My 15 has a Johnson on it, and I really have no experience with them, anybody has had one of these? any issues I should address? looking forward to some helpfull info.

Thanks

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/05 - 3:14 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

prflyer,
I have had quite a few Evinrudes and 1 Johnson. These engines are fairly bullet proof.
I had a 1985 Evinrude 70hp for 15 years and never had a problem, same basic engine as the Johnson.

Are you experiencing any problems?

Actually, my preferred engine has always been OMC now owned by Bombardier...

Jeff
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/05 - 5:02 PM

Comments: 34

I am with joe on this one....I like the old OMCs as well. They seem to be rock solid if taken care of. If it is a VRO model you might want to replace the VRO fuel pump with a standard fuel pump. Mixing the fuel for a smaller motor should not be to much of a pain. And at least you know it is mixed correctly. Older VRO pumps can fail without much warning. Also after what I just went through I would think about replacing the head gasket just to be safe. You can do it yourself for under $50 or have it done for under $150. Other than that just replace the lower unit oil every 100 hours or 1 year. The plugs should be done at that time as well if not sooner. For plugs I would recommend NGK gapless plugs. Others might not feel the same but this is all I have ever used in our boats and they have always been great. The engines just seem to start and run better at all RPMs with them. I never use champions. Long story on why....

Looks like to have a great boat and with a little time and effort it should be a great life long boat.

Edited by Jeff on 08/23/05 - 5:04 PM
1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/05 - 6:45 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Jeff and I disagree on the VRO pump.
Most of the original models have been updated to VRO II and if something happens to the pump, the NO OIL Alarm will sound warning you in advance...

See this article on Jim Hebert's site:
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refe...e/VRO.html

Prflyer
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/05 - 9:05 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Thanks Joe and Jeff,

The VRo was eliminated by previous owner, and my Mako has twin 75 evinrudes that were also eliminated by previous owner. So I have had to mix myself all along. Good article. I have not had any problems so far, the only thing once was the first time out because of constant sunlight and a lot of humidity in Dry stack the main gas tank gets some humidity and the engines cough a bit and shut down, immediatly took the main out and put the Aux in and she ran beautifully. Other than that the engine seems to be ok, the last owner was my cousin so hopefully he is being straight with me as far as maintance to the engine, his father has told me that he kept the maintance on the engine, but that he did not like to wax the boat, hence the dull finish Sad but that will be part of the project making her look better. I have always wanted a Whaler and have seen 15's here in some rough water, so I was impressed. Looking forward to the project and posting more pics as she comes along. Thanks for the helpfull info.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 11, 2024 - 10:39 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Sailfish31
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 4
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,077
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,388,517 unique visits