View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
TPWD seizes my boat
Silentpardner
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/05/11 - 11:49 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

My plate was exactly like the 2nd example here in this article: http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...cle_id=103 but the decal "BWC" and the decal letter between the 2 sets of ID characters were missing, apparently from wear over the yrears on the port side transom. I had to transfer title from FL to TX and title the motor, as TX requires separate motor title and FL does not title motors. I did the required pencil tracing of the HID on the transom for registration, completed 12 pages of paperwork on boat and motor, and took all this to the TPWD main office in Austin. The lady informed me that the motor was no problem, but I would have to have a TPWD Game Warden inspect the hull because of the missing letters in the tracing of the hull ID plate. I contacted a warden in my district and met him with the boat at a shopping center about 25 miles from me here with the boat.

As the TPWD officer inspected the plate, he used a multi-tool to dig the rivets out of the hull and pulled the tag away from the hull and informed that the plate was altered and that there should be HID # embossed in the hull, the plate was not original and had been poorly installed by someone trying to cover the "real" HID. I explained to the officer that the HID plate was correct and original, but he explained that the engraving of the first 4 digits on the plate was different from the second half of the number, and he was using this as proof the HID plate had been altered. Please see example 2 above and note that the difference between fonts of stamped numbers is actually PROOF the plate is NOT altered!

The TPWD officer then informed me that in the state of TX, it was illegal to possess a vehicle with altered ID plates, so he was going to have to sieze the boat! He then tore off the HID plate completely from the transom and put it in his pocket.

Since the TPWD officer had not brought his trailer ball with him, I was asked to follow him to the local police department and leave the boat, motor and trailer there. I complied and went back home without my boat.

The officer called me the next day and apologized profusely for the whole seizure incident and told me I could retrieve my boat, as it had been determined that the HID plate was not altered after all, and a supporting HID plate had been found in the bow storage locker with ALL LETTERS AND NUMBERS INTACT!

I was forced to retrieve the boat 35 miles from the place I had left it, but I met the Officer at the Travis County TCRA storage location, he filled out all the required inspection certification paperwork, and handed me the HID plate that he had dug out of my transom the day before. I will never forget what he said.."...you will need to take the plate and boat back to a dealer to get it put back on your boat properly, I am sorry about removing it but I have placed a Mylar Texas HID verification sticker on your hull" !!! I left that place with my boat, dumbfounded, but at least I had my boat back.

It would be very helpful if I had known about the 2nd HID plate on the boat in the bow locker! This would have prevented both the TPWD Game warden inspection and subsequent siezure of my boat, as all I would have had to do was take a photo of the intact HID plate with me at the original visit to the Main Office TPWD!

If you are looking at this page here to verify HID before purchasing a boat or in order to transfer ownership of a boat, PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THERE IS 2 HID PLATES ON A BOSTON WHALER: ONE ON THE TRANSOM AND ONE IN THE BOW STORAGE LOCKER> THESE MUST MATCH TO VERIFY HID #.

Hope this helps others using this board to avoid a nightmare in registration like I experienced, and also hopefully this will prevent members from purchasing a stolen boat.

Jerry Mooney
Dripping Springs TX

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/05/11 - 11:56 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I think I would have the officer pay to get your HIN put back on as he clearly had no idea what he was talking about.

I would file a complaint so he doesn't do it again to someone else.

NOTE: Not all Whalers have a second number in the bow locker.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 10/05/11 - 12:00 PM

Binkie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/05/11 - 12:10 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

What are you doing with a boat in Texas anyway. I thought all the lakes dried up and the Gulf beaches are still covered with fuel oil. Better get the hell out of there quick. they don't like Yankees from Florida. I suspect you have a NY accent. ;0

sraab928
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/05/11 - 12:14 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

Wow - That is crazy! I agree with Joe - The officer or the state should pay to bring your boat into the same condition it was presented to them in. Its good you are sharing the story regardless so others in TX can avoid the same issue.

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

CES
#5 Print Post
Posted on 10/05/11 - 12:24 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Bum deal for sure. Anytime we bring a boat in from out of state and tryto title/register it here in Texas, we have to go through the same hassle. I understand the rationale behind it but it's still a real PITA.

When I registered my BW in Texas they not only put a TX HIN on the transom, they put one under my steering console too.

Many boats are stolen in Texas and they head straight down to Mexico.....happens all the time.

I'm glad to read that you're back in action however I feel that officer owes you more than an apology, he and the TPWD should pay for the damage they caused your boat.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

Silentpardner
#6 Print Post
Posted on 10/06/11 - 10:26 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Thanks Joe for moving this here...I should have posted it here in the first placeSad I am new using BB but I am determined to learn!

Binkie, I have lived here in Texas since 1982, moved here after college to work in the chemical industry here on the Gulf Coast south of Houston at Freeport TX. I was born in ALABAMA, raised in TENNESSEE, and I can assure you, I AM NOT A YANKEE! LOL Smile
" I been to Georgia on a fast train honey, I wasn't born no yesterday, got a good christian raisin' and a eighth grade education, aint no reason for 'em to be treatin' me this way!" LOL
Oh, the lake levels here are down, true, but rumours of their demise have been GREATLY exaggerated I assure youSmile As far as the Gulf, I have seen absolutely NO OIL OR RESIDUE on the Texas gulf coast...I think mebbe Rick Perry has been causing enough strong winds from his speaking engagements of late to prevent it from being able to approach the state! I guess there are benefits to living in a state chock full of political blowhards after all! Smile My daughter and son-in-law, as well as my grandaughter, all live and play around Palacios TX (on the Gulf) and they have also not seen ANY evidence of the oil spill. My son lives, works, and plays HARD around Freeport where he was raised, and he also has seen NO evidence of oil spill problems. By playing hard I mean he is AVID saltwater bay fishing, of course, and I mean EVERY day IN THE BAY! Catches more Reds, Specks, and Flounder than I have in a lifetime!

I appreciate all the sympathetic comments here, but I have all titles and registrations complete now, I think I am going to just let the whole incident go. I will get the ID plate re-attached somehow, but did I mention that the TX hull ID Mylar sticker had the EXACT same HID number as I had originally submitted? I just wanted others here to know what had happened to me in Texas after purchasing my boat in Florida in order to maybe help someone to avoid trouble here.

I am thinkin' mebbe that officer will give me a break someday, as I intend to make a trip soon, mebbe even today or tomorrow, down to Lake Braunig near San Antonio. I understand the boat ramp there is still above waterSmile The TPWD actually stocks this and a couple of other lakes in TX with Redfish! In freshwater, there is no maximum length limit, so I am looking forward to studying them a bit down there. I am about 1.5 hrs from that lake from here I think...it may be a regular haunt of mine soon!

Thanks all for the support, and tightlines and bloody decks all!

Jerry Mooney
Dripping Springs TX

JohnnyCW
#7 Print Post
Posted on 10/06/11 - 11:12 AM

Good attitude Jerry. There isnt much you can do anyway. File a formal complaint and submit a request for reimbursement of damages maybe.

As a society we've allowed law enforcement way too much power and they usually suffer little or no reprocussions for mistakes. I'm all for fighting the good fight but I'd probably just walk away from this one too.

As a State certified Fire Investigator and Tactical Medic, I'm a Florida certified law enforcement officer but I do not work in law enforcement per se.

wrangler
#8 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/11 - 6:43 AM

For the Benefit of Eveyone!
33CFR181.29 Hull ID numbers started in 1972.
On boats built after 1 August 1984 two identical hull numbers are required on each boat.
Primary number on boats with transoms, starboard side within 2 inches of the top.
The duplicate must be affixed in an unexposed location. It will be hidden so a thief cannot find it and remove both of them if the boat is ever stolen. It may be under a cleat or a fitting. Law enforcement needs to be aware of this requirement, so they can trace a stolen boat. The manufacturer can be contacted for the hidden location.

Edited by wrangler on 10/07/11 - 6:46 AM

mattgeiger
#9 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/11 - 6:55 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I would have been in jail for sure.

Cape Dory 28
Hobie 20 Miracle
A Class Catamaran

mreid99
#10 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/11 - 7:14 AM
Personal Page

As a law enforcement officer both for a city and now a college campus, that behavior is not acceptable. I do understand not wanting to push the issue, but I would. His described behavior and lack of professionalism, is not shocking but not acceptable. I would follow thru with a formal complaint on the treatment and the unnecessary damage caused. I would also have them correct the problem he created on the Hull ID. 30 years ago it may have been common place but in today's world not way.

JohnnyCW
#11 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/11 - 2:22 PM

mreid99 wrote:
As a law enforcement officer both for a city and now a college campus, that behavior is not acceptable. I do understand not wanting to push the issue, but I would. His described behavior and lack of professionalism, is not shocking but not acceptable. I would follow thru with a formal complaint on the treatment and the unnecessary damage caused. I would also have them correct the problem he created on the Hull ID. 30 years ago it may have been common place but in today's world not way.

I agree with everything you've posted but his experience sounds all too familiar in Florida too.

jimmyrinaldi
#12 Print Post
Posted on 10/14/11 - 1:26 PM

Comments: 3

I think I would have lost it on the guy if he had seized my boat... You must have the patience of Jobe...
I have a second plate in the bow locker as well...

Edited by jimmyrinaldi on 10/15/11 - 11:27 AM

gusgus
#13 Print Post
Posted on 10/14/11 - 5:51 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

I can assure you, I have gone to jail for less and would have had chunks of his arse in my hands as they drug me away.
The boat wouldn't have been the issue with me it would be his unsubstantiated accusation. It isn't like you weren't working to comply with their/his every request. This dill-weed cop should only be guarding used cars somewhere.
You are a special man, for sure. I am so glad you have your boat back, and I wish you great luck fishing.

1987 Outrage 18 W/150 Merc and 8 Honda

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 4, 2024 - 2:58 AM
Users Online
Welcome
kaiamiller105
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,045
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,249,645 unique visits