View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Trip to Wye & Miles River on Eastern shore of Maryland
NJjohnmontauk17
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/28/11 - 2:20 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

The wife & I, looking for a change of boating scenery from Barnegat Bay NJ, trailered our Montauk to the Wye & Miles rivers on the east shore of the Chesapeake two weeks ago. We had trailered to the Severn river a few years ago when our son was at USNA in Annapolis.

We researched the many boat ramps available in Talbot County Maryland on www.talbotparksandrec.com We used the Wye Landing ramps on the Wye, and the Oak Creek Landing ramp on the Miles. Both are in good shape with parking areas. I suggest launching mid-late morning (11am) to avoid the crowd of sportsmen & crabbers launching. That leaves plenty of time to cruise without complications.

All told we ran about 50 miles up & down & around the many coves and creeks along each river. Really nice protected cruising areas and well enough marked to avoid navigation problems. The boss had a great time.

We are considering doing the Tred Avon river in a few weeks, from Easton down to Oxford.

Not sure when duck season starts down there, because everyone seems to have a duck blind on these rivers.....

moretrench1
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/28/11 - 4:43 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

If you enjoy cruising meadows, Wachapreague, VA area may be of interest.
Endless run of land, river, cuts and creeks between the barrier islands facing the Atlantic and the Wachapregue shoreline. Good usable inlet to sneak through for a run on the outside. I use a 17 Whaler with a tiller, your Montauk will work good in these waters.

thegage
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/28/11 - 5:46 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

My father lives down that area in Easton. He's got a boat, but it's a Sea-Doo (a nice one, admittedly). Every once in a while I'm tempted to trailer down my Whaler, but it's about 400 miles one way for me.

John K.

John Kittredge
1991 16 SL - 2013 E-TEC 90

NJjohnmontauk17
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/11 - 6:36 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

I have the Maptech Chartkit for the Chesapeake that I bought in 2008 when I took our 26 Edgewater from Barnegat to Annapolis. That was a great trip.

I've been looking over the charts since, envisioning the next trip. There are so many possibilities. After I downloaded the Captain John Smith Chesapeake Boaters Guide, which provides incredible info, I finally got off the couch, got new lights & tires for the Montauk trailer, and got going.

If Capt JS was touring the Chesapeake 400 years ago, in canoes & small sailboats, I figured what am I waiting for? Another re-run on TV?

Watchepreague VA is definitely on the list.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 3:02 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kenny Hulbert
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,105
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,524,303 unique visits