View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
13' Sport Stainless Rails Question
blindeman
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/20/11 - 2:45 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

When removing the stainless side rails yesterday on my '74 Sport 13'. I noticed that both T brackets that hold the center of the side rails to the hull need replacing.

However, I can't figure out how to remove the brackets from the rail tubing. I removed all the screws, tugged and pulled but nothing; it seems the entire side rail is one piece. Is that so? If so, did they put the brackets on before bending the rail? Or is it truly a 2-piece (the tubing, I'm talking about) rail?

Both of these brackets are split and putting them back in to service wouldn't be smart or attractive.

Thanks!

Bruce

Edited by blindeman on 03/20/11 - 2:47 PM
Bruce Lindeman
1992 Sport 13

blindeman
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/21/11 - 3:43 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I'm going to answer my own question here.

I did some research today and found out that some original rails were one piece and some were 2-piece. Don't know what years BW sold which configuration. But, if joined at the middle T-bracket/stanchion, you'd never know -- until you had to replace the T-bracket like I had to.

Specialty Marine sells these stanchions and their suggestion was to cut the rail in half to remove the old bracket, slip the new one on, secure with the set screws on the bracket and when installed no one will know.

Also worth noting here... I am missing one of the stanchion backing plates near the stern end of the rail. Those are the plates you see on the hulls on 13's, two per side, just under the rub rail. Well, Specialty Marine has those as well, if you should ever need one. These plates accept the through-the-hull mounting screws for the rail stanchions. In other words, it's how BW attached the rails to the hull. Of course, most of you already knew this. Being this is my first 13', I thought it very cool.

Bruce

Bruce Lindeman
1992 Sport 13

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 2, 2024 - 10:56 PM
Users Online
Welcome
3dhomer
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,044
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.13 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,229,133 unique visits