View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1974 13' Refurb
blindeman
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/19/11 - 5:30 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I took ownership of my new (to me) 1974 13' Sport this morning. My 7 year old son and I immediately removed all of the old wood/console, and extraneous hardware. From the original, old cable/pulley steering system, there are now a lot of holes to fill.

Then, we washed and scrubbed her down, inside and out. The boat's in pretty good shape, and since I got her for $1200, I feel good about the condition of the boat. As stated, lots of holes to fill/fair, and a few nicks and dings in the outer hull gel coat to repair as well, but nothing major. The original rub rail looks great and is still tight around the gunwale.

So, I played with the buffer and some compound and got a nice shine on the outter hull. If i can strip off the bottom paint, I think a good buffing/waxing will cut it.

I purchased a new complete wood kit, minus the bow hatch which I will make myself from a portion of one of the thwart seats that I'll then sand out and finish with spar.

The question I have is this -- and I realize pictures would help, but my butt is draggin' from all I did today. I'll try to get some up tomorrow morning. But, there is considerable crazing in the inside gel. Add all the holes I have to patch and the desert sand color and I'm inclined to sand down repair/fair, and paint the original desert sand color. I don't take this decision lightly as I'd much rather preserve the original finish. It would buff out nicely, if that was all there is to do. But, all the screw holes, and craxks/crazing and I'm dealing with a very different animal. Especially since it will have all new wood, stainless steering wheel, and eventually a new motor. I'd hate to then have to deal with an interior that doesn't look up to the rest fo the refurb.

Any thoughts? I know the purists will say to just live with it. Tough call....

Bruce

Bruce Lindeman
1992 Sport 13

Binkie
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/19/11 - 7:09 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

It is a tough call becuase new gel coat or paint on the interior will make the exterior look bad no matter how well you shine it up.

Turpin
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/19/11 - 9:56 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 20

Run her like she sets this season and then cross that bridge in the fall.
Me I'm not a purist but rather fall somewhere in the middle. I made the mods to my boat out of neccessity. Yes the purist will tell you something different but it's your boat. Should you later sell it, that person will most likely not be a purist and looking for something wihout the cracks and crazing. Ultimatley it boils down to your needs, desires and abilities.
I like a classic that looks classic because of it's design but not show it's age due to cosmetic condition.

1963 13' Sport 50hp Evinrude
Maintaining a level of sanity that is socially acceptable

blindeman
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/20/11 - 2:51 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm leaning towards painting the interior. I spent the morning filling holes with resin today as well as filling cracks and chips as well. I know I won't be happy installing all that pretty mahogany once it arrives into a hull that looks beat up. The exterior will buff out nicely, so I', not concerned aqbout it looking bad. I think it'll actually look pretty sweet when it's all done. Not perfect, but very servicable.

Bruce

Bruce Lindeman
1992 Sport 13

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 2, 2024 - 11:45 PM
Users Online
Welcome
3dhomer
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,044
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,229,724 unique visits