View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Console Installation
doshill246
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/17/11 - 1:32 PM

Comments: 1

Is there a way to install a console in a Boston Whaler Montauk 17ft edition without drilling holes into the console floor. I was thinking of covering marine plywood with epoxy and installing it into the console floor. Any ideas. Need some help. Thanks

Dave

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/17/11 - 2:38 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I would stay with the factory mounting technique.

There is embedded wood under the deck for the L bracket to attach to.
Just add a dab of marine caulk (not adhesive like 4200/5200) to the threads and under the head of the screws.

Here is a good thread that discusses the mounting and technique:
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...post_63568

Edited by Phil T on 03/17/11 - 2:44 PM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Gamalot
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/17/11 - 3:35 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Excellent question and one I have toiled over for a while now.

There is wood under the deck where the console mounts. Boats like my '74 had the winged console and the mounting flange-to-floor method was 6 #14 screws 1 1/2 inches long with finishing washers on each side.

Water got in and the wood under the deck is mush around where the old screws were. As Tom Clark said, find other places to drill and screw a plate where the wood is still good and solid.

In the other thread where Finnegan shows his idea of raising the console, GREAT IDEA! The console is a little low to begin with given the height of the RPS which is also pretty low.

I would take it one step further and increase the width of the riser plate to around 6 inches and increase the screws on each side to 12 instead of 6. Six screws to hold the console to the plate and deck and another 6 under the console to hold the plate to the floor. Make sure your screws go at least 1 inch into the decking after going through the riser thickness and be sure to seal every screw so water can't get in and rot the wood. The space under your console is wasted any way so by spreading the load over a wider span and by staggering the sealed screws it should out last you.

I suspect Marine plywood might be OK for making the riser but I must admit after almost 40 years of direct WET contact the teak wood BW used between my console flange and the deck, it is still perfectly usable and showing no signs of rot.

If you have a new style CC with the aluminum bracket I would still raise it 2 - 3 inches and use a 6 inch wide plate. We tend to lean heavily on the console and steering wheel in rough seas and it takes a hammering. Doubeling the screws and spreading the load grip can't hurt. If you go as you plan with a full plywood piece under the entire console it will just be a great place for wet to accumulate and get trapped between the deck and wood. Teak is the wood of choice in this environment for the past few thousand years.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 3, 2024 - 4:53 AM
Users Online
Welcome
3dhomer
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,044
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,235,280 unique visits