View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
abalone poacher. This is a rotten shame
Guts
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/23/11 - 10:17 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 8

California Department of Fish and Game News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - February 22, 2011

Patrick Foy, DFG Law Enforcement, (916) 508-7095

San Francisco Abalone Poacher Busted Three Times in Three Weeks
Officers from three law enforcement agencies recognize violations, seize evidence

A San Francisco man was recently caught poaching abalone during the closed season - for the third time in three weeks. The last arrest came on Feb. 19, 2011, when game wardens from the California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) arrested Qiong Wang, 31, for felony conspiracy and take of abalone for commercial purposes, among other charges. Wardens also arrested Wang's companion, David Trevors, 28, of San Francisco, on similar charges.

On Feb. 2, an officer from the Petaluma Police Department contacted Wang and Trevors in Petaluma during an investigation of another crime. He found them in possession of five abalone. The officer was aware that abalone season was closed. He cited and released Wang for four poaching misdemeanors (unlawful take, take of abalone out of season, possession of an overlimit and failure to tag).

On Feb. 12, a Mendocino County Sheriff's deputy stopped Wang for speeding on Highway 28 near Boonville. The deputy found two wet duffel bags containing fresh abalone in the back seat and contacted his dispatch to request assistance from a DFG warden. Warden Don Powers responded and discovered 36 red abalone, five of which were undersized. Powers also found five SCUBA tanks and associated SCUBA diving gear in the trunk of Wang's car. Wang was booked into Mendocino County Jail for possession of abalone for commercial sale. His Toyota sedan and all dive gear were seized as evidence.

On Feb. 19, five days after being released from jail for the last poaching incident, Wang and Trevors were spotted using SCUBA gear to poach abalone from a rented kayak in Van Damme State Park. For approximately two hours, wardens watched as the partners kayaked into the ocean and collected 55 abalone. The men returned to shore, stashed the abalone near the beach and drove to the Sub-Surface Progression dive shop in Fort Bragg to return the rented kayak. Wardens contacted the pair at the dive shop. Both men were arrested and booked into Mendocino County Jail. Wardens recovered the hidden abalone and Trevor's vehicle, and all related dive gear was seized.

"Despite aggressive enforcement and prosecution, wardens have noticed an increase in abalone poaching over the last few years, on the Sonoma and Mendocino coasts in particular. For many abalone poachers, the profit from the illegal sale of abalone clearly outweighs the risks of getting caught," said DFG Assistant Chief Tony Warrington.

Abalone season closed Dec. 1, and does not reopen until April 1. For more information, please see www.dfg.ca.gov/news/news10/2010062401-Poaching-Sonoma-Mendocino.html.

Guts/AKA/Kim

kamie
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/23/11 - 2:43 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Guts wrote:

"Despite aggressive enforcement and prosecution, wardens have noticed an increase in abalone poaching over the last few years, on the Sonoma and Mendocino coasts in particular. For many abalone poachers, the profit from the illegal sale of abalone clearly outweighs the risks of getting caught," said DFG Assistant Chief Tony Warrington.

This seems true of most crimes where poaching natural resources is involved. Here are a couple examples from the VA/MD area

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ou...9265.story

This was the first of a couple illegal gill nets placed in the bay this season.

This was another within days of the first.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ou...5276.story

And for those of you not aware, just because the harvest is legal doesn't make it sane or right. here are a couple articles about the wasteful harvest of stripers off the NC coast this spring.

http://cfrgnc.blogspot.com/2011/01/nc...s-and.html
http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com...;id=139190

CES
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/23/11 - 3:23 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

What's an Abalone??

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

Blake Whitney
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/23/11 - 4:42 PM
Personal Page

Doesn't matter Cliff...you won't find any in Texas!

They are a 1/2 shell molusk with a foot that ataches to rocks. they come in several flavors...Black, Green, Red, Pink, and White with the white being most prized.

They are Goooood eating but popularity has gotten the best of them. Takes 5-7 years to grow to legal size. In the '50s and '60s you could find blacks and greens at low tide. By the '80s they were scarce and had a bag limit of four and then later two. Very hard to find now and there has been a moretoreum on them in So Cal for at least a decade. More plentiful in N cal.

In addition they are hemopheliac so if you nic the foot while removing and measiring...they are eel food...and eels will challenge you for them! A special wide tipped and blunt ab iron must be used.

I have busted many folks going after them and have been able to flag down boats to contact F&G...great feeling! If I ever discover someone like the guys noted above...I would set their car afire...with them in it!

I have

myakka
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/23/11 - 4:44 PM

Comments: 0

"What's an Abalone?? "
I think she is the drummer for Prince. Wink

Blake Whitney
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/23/11 - 4:44 PM
Personal Page

the second "I Have" got there by mistake...no fires...Yet

modenacart
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/23/11 - 5:09 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

I think the shell is used to make jewelry too.

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

CES
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02/23/11 - 5:23 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Well we have other things here in Texas that makes up for the lack of Albacore here, we have some of the most beautiful women on te planet right here in Dallas!!

Cliff

Blake Whitney
#9 Print Post
Posted on 02/23/11 - 5:39 PM
Personal Page

Albacore?? I thought we were talking about Abalone Cliff!

What you have in Dallas is a completely different kind of shellfish! And you had better hope that they are on the "protected" list!

Guts
#10 Print Post
Posted on 02/23/11 - 7:05 PM
Personal Page

you can still buy abalone pretty much all year round but they are farm raised and run 7 to 10 bucks each I believe they come in the shell and are kept on ice. you can also buy it by the pound here in San Diego for $115 a pound or the going rate that's what it was the last time I inquired about them. The farm raised abalone my buddy gets at Santa Barbara fish market if there's anybody in that neck of the woods.

Guts/AKA/Kim

CES
#11 Print Post
Posted on 02/23/11 - 8:12 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Blake Whitney wrote:
Albacore?? I thought we were talking about Abalone Cliff!

What you have in Dallas is a completely different kind of shellfish! And you had better hope that they are on the "protected" list!

Darn autocorrect!! My iPhone does that to me all the time!!! Lol.

Cliff

Binkie
#12 Print Post
Posted on 02/24/11 - 7:48 PM
Personal Page

Doesn't matter Cliff...you won't find any in Texas!

Well, if there were any or them dern things in Texas they sure would be bigger than them itty bitty ones in California, and the`d let ya`ll take em any time you want.

HarleyFXDL
#13 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/11 - 5:32 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

As long as the profit outweighs the penalty, the poaching will only increase. Send them to a Turkish prison for a few years, that will change their mind.

Kevin
1988 11' Super Sport, 1987 Johnson 15hp.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman."

Guts
#14 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/11 - 5:51 PM
Personal Page

HarleyFXDL wrote:
As long as the profit outweighs the penalty, the poaching will only increase. Send them to a Turkish prison for a few years, that will change their mind.

I agree Harley. That's why most of these guys are repeat offenders.

Guts/AKA/Kim

Guts
#15 Print Post
Posted on 05/12/11 - 4:25 PM
Personal Page

looks like this guys going to pay big time and it is about time they start put some teeth into the law hit these guys were it hurts.

California Department of Fish and Game News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - May 12, 2011

Contacts:
Patrick Foy, DFG Law Enforcement, (916) 651-2084

Poachers Sentenced for Trafficking Abalone in Bay Area

An abalone poacher and restaurant owner have both been convicted and fined for engaging in the illegal sale of sport-caught abalone. Two state agencies, the California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) and California State Parks (CSP), worked together with the Sonoma County District Attorney's Office to investigate the case and aggressively prosecute the crimes.

"Illegal commercialization of California's abalone resources will not be tolerated," said Tony Warrington, Assistant Chief of the DFG Law Enforcement Division.

In the fall of 2009, CSP rangers began to suspect abalone trafficking was taking place after making multiple contacts with diver Michael Sean Miller, 55, of Petaluma, in the area around Fisk Mill. Rangers relayed the information to DFG's Special Operations Unit, which began an investigation. Wardens soon observed Miller harvesting abalone and transporting them to the rear entrance of Pacific Restaurant, 1045 Terra Nova Blvd. in Pacifica. There, Miller was observed selling the illegally taken abalone to the restaurant's owner, Pim Lim Szeto, 51 of San Francisco. Wardens arrested both subjects for the illegal sale and purchase of abalone.

The Sonoma County District Attorney's Office began to prosecute the case in October 2009. Szeto was subsequently fined $20,000 and sentenced to 90 days work release time. His fishing license was revoked for life.

In May 2011, Miller pled guilty to poaching charges. He was fined $15,000 and sentenced to 90 days work release time with three years probation. He was also ordered to forfeit all dive gear and fishing equipment. His fishing licence has been revoked for life and he is prohibited from possessing abalone.

Guts/AKA/Kim

CES
#16 Print Post
Posted on 05/12/11 - 4:51 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Justice served to those scum bags!!

I hope those clowns like picking up trash on the side of the road!!

Cliff

Jack Jordan
#17 Print Post
Posted on 05/12/11 - 5:15 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

When the bad ones slip through the cracks, the people who care have to get involved. USMC Staff Sgt. Jason Rogers KIA Afghanistan, laid to rest in Brandon MS. Without protesters or violence. Should work for this also.

http://www.retirelikeme.com/2011/04/2...ist-plans/

Jack
1963 Custom 16, stencil #31048

gusgus
#18 Print Post
Posted on 10/13/11 - 5:16 PM
Personal Page

CES wrote:
Justice served to those scum bags!!

I hope those clowns like picking up trash on the side of the road!!

I hope the scum who toss' trash onto the side of the road, will meet an unhappy ending, and darned quickly.
I know we need laws for fools like the Abalone thieves, but laws didn't stop them. It should be OK for us to bait our crap pots with them. Then these kinds of jerks would think twice before repeating such an offense.
I like the mini van fire idea though.

1987 Outrage 18 W/150 Merc and 8 Honda

Mattanza
#19 Print Post
Posted on 12/01/11 - 1:57 PM
Personal Page

3 times in 3 weeks. not only a low life poaching felon, but an absolute idiot to boot. i wouldn't mind some of my tax dollars going to his incarceration for a couple years. they should also seize all of his property, and assets.

zappaddles
#20 Print Post
Posted on 12/01/11 - 2:34 PM

Comments: 2

DNR officers in Georgia have unbelievable powers of confiscation. These dudes would not have had a vehicle, scuba gear, kayaks etc to use to commit a wildlife related crime in Georgia after the first time. A fair trial then off to prison for 3 years sounds reasonable.

Zap

If you can't play hurt....stay home.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 4, 2024 - 6:53 PM
Users Online
Welcome
corkybennett1
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,048
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.25 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,260,308 unique visits