View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Cushions
thomas kingsley
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/29/11 - 9:37 AM

Comments: 0

I have asked this question before about cushions for my 89 13' SS but did not get a clear reccomendatoin.
There are two suppliers of these 1)Specialty Marine,2)Nautical Lumber. NL's cushions appear only to cover the seat and backrest while SM has a bow cover and middle seat cushion available. NL claims OEM .Can anyone tell me which they think is a better value or if they both a pretty much the same? They both have the same brown piping but are they made of the same material. I think the bow cushion would add a nice touch!

modenacart
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/29/11 - 1:28 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

If you have the cushions, you could have them recovered locally too.

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

Phil T
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/29/11 - 2:44 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I think there is another vendor, Halls Nautical.

As far as OEM, Halls is the only vendor that uses the identical vinyl since they were the original supplier back in the day.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

bmw90w
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/29/11 - 5:01 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Yeah best value is up to you. Halls uses identical vinyl which is sweet, but also more pricey. For me cost was a factor, and I went with specialty. Back then they didn't have the ones with brown piping. I have never seen the ones from halls or nl, bu compared to my original seat this one looks and feels great. Post pics either way!

1984 Montauk

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/29/11 - 5:09 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

There were also quite a few other original manufacturers of cushions and seats etc. during the Classic years..

Boston Whaler apparently also made many of their cushions in house.
Here is just one of many tags I have seen with just the name "Made by Boston Whaler"
http://www.whalercentral.com/photogal...oto_id=303

Another manufacturer of cushions was Garelick
On the underside of one of my prior Leaning Posts were the words "Made by Garelick for Boston Whaler"
http://www.whalercentral.com/photogal...hoto_id=73

Many Stern Seats were made by Art's Auto and Marine.
http://www.whalercentral.com/viewpage...page_id=33

Some later versions of cushions were made by Canyon Tech and had a sticker:
Made by Canyon Tech, Cape Canaveral FL.

Take a look at what our Sponsors have to offer and see if they have what fits your needs.

Tom W Clark
#6 Print Post
Posted on 01/30/11 - 9:59 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Joe is correct, there have been many different suppliers to Whaler over the years and they also did upholstery in-house at times.

A fine point: Halls Nautical Upholstery was not an OEM for Boston Whaler, though the cushions they produce now are equal, or superior, to the quality of the OE cushions. They use the exact same upholstery material, not something merely close to the original.

Halls has been an OEM to many other boat manufacturers over the years.

Another source not yet mentioned is Anderson Manufacturing and Upholstery Inc.(AMUI) a.k.a. Dave's Custom Upholstery.

http://www.andersonmfg.biz/1.htmlbiz/1.html

Their upholstery is excellent, their web site is pitiful.

I have owned Whaler cushions made by Boston Whaler, Art's, Anderson, Garelick and Halls. All are excellent.

I have not owned cushions from Nautical Lumber or Specialty Marine, though based on the quality of Nautical's woodwork, I cannot image that Mike is not also selling top notch cushions. Perhaps he could comment on who is making his and what material is used.

I have not seen anything form Specialty that uses the exact same material that Whaler used.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 14, 2024 - 1:07 PM
Users Online
Welcome
bheemstra
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,087
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,427,211 unique visits