View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Rub Rail Options???
captnickm
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/02/11 - 1:39 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I’m going to pull of my stuck rub rail this week and start sanding and priming the outside of my hull. While I’m working on the outside I would like to order some new rub rail and wanted to see some of the different options that are out there. I’m not a huge fan of the 3 piece rub rail. If you have any good tips or pointers on some different options please let me know. I will also be running my nav light wires thru the rail so keep that in mind.

Thanks.

On a side note check out my photo bucket album using the link on the left under my name titled "Personal Website. Things are moving along great on the boat and I could not be happier for only 1 month worth of work!!!

Thanks, Nick

Nick - 19' Outrage II

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/02/11 - 3:54 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

For the navigation light wiring, Tom Clark recommends marine tinned stereo wire since it is a tight fit in the track.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

zappaddles
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/03/11 - 4:54 AM

Comments: 2

Call Sue at twin Cities marine for the rubrail. The 3rd piece of rubrail is for cosmetic purposes to cover the adhesive residue. Figure out how to remove the residue and the 3rd piece isn't needed.

If you can't play hurt....stay home.

captnickm
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/03/11 - 8:38 AM
Personal Page

Thanks for the great info. Keep it coming if you have more tips.

Nick - 19' Outrage II

harwichboy
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/03/11 - 11:17 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I am researching this project for early Spring. Here in new England, I cannot get serious about patching the rails on my Nauset 16 until Spring.

I have no first-hand experience, but this vendor gets mentioned: Barbour Plastics

I have also heard of a vendor in Newport Beach, CA.
Schock boats.

Joe Kriz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 01/03/11 - 11:21 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Just to clarify a couple of things.

Barbour is a manufacturer of rub rails that many vendors carry.

Shock Boats is a Boston Whaler dealer in Newport Beach, CA.

Blake Whitney
#7 Print Post
Posted on 01/03/11 - 1:20 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

When I rebuilt my 13 about four years ago I got my rubrail frim Schock in Newport Beach ( the local BW dealer) and chose a two piece with the round center insert. Much heavier duty than the stock one and a snap to run the electerical wires to the bow. Pic's on my PP

Last Christmas I pulled out the insert and replaced it with a length of red LED ropelight...So cool I just left it there...You can see me coming a mile away!!

captnickm
#8 Print Post
Posted on 01/04/11 - 5:25 AM
Personal Page

Thanks for the clarification. They have alot of options at Barbour! I think I would like to go with a 2 piece rub rail like Blakes.

Blake Whitney wrote:
When I rebuilt my 13 about four years ago I got my rubrail frim Schock in Newport Beach ( the local BW dealer) and chose a two piece with the round center insert. Much heavier duty than the stock one and a snap to run the electerical wires to the bow. Pic's on my PP

Last Christmas I pulled out the insert and replaced it with a length of red LED ropelight...So cool I just left it there...You can see me coming a mile away!!

I would love to see a picture of that!

Nick - 19' Outrage II

decxiii
#9 Print Post
Posted on 01/04/11 - 7:08 AM
Personal Page

I got the three piece one and it installed in just a few hours. Did the same thing you want to do with the lights; ran the wires through with no problems. Heated the black final strip with my wife's hair dryer which simplified things quite a bit.

harwichboy
#10 Print Post
Posted on 01/04/11 - 3:40 PM
Personal Page

I'm also taken by Blake's rope LED lights. What is the right source for a 12v LED rope? Patio accessory shop or "pimp my ride" car audio/accessories?

Edited by harwichboy on 01/04/11 - 3:45 PM

Blake Whitney
#11 Print Post
Posted on 01/05/11 - 11:28 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Well Harwitcboy....I cheated! I walkid out back to my shop and just spooled it off the reel! i am in the lighting business and stock the junk! Don't sell much in colors but just happened to have a partial spool of 12v red LED...It appeard that we suffered a bit of inventory shrinkage.

I don't have a photo but will take one shortly and post to my PP.

The stuff sells to our wholesalers for about $6.50 / ft so a 13 would run about about $200.00. A bit pricey on a whim but pretty cool. The only issue is that it would probably fail if it got a real hard whack.

If you are interested send me a PM and I can set you up.

harwichboy
#12 Print Post
Posted on 01/06/11 - 3:11 PM
Personal Page

OK, I'll have look at the pics; I look the idea for the 4th or July regular use.

I am drawn to the Schock Boats version of the rub rail. (Yes, I understand that are a dealer and may or may not be the manufacturer/extruder) I don't see anything in the other catalogs as heavy duty - like a big rubber bumper.

While we are on the subject or rub rail fixes, I would appreciate some advice on restoring the rail itself.
Mine has some big chips and several rub rail screws are unanchored.

Is a fiberglass web + epoxy the best approach o restoring the basic rail and anchoring the screws?
Thanks

Joe Kriz
#13 Print Post
Posted on 01/06/11 - 3:17 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

There is nothing unusual about this other type of Rub Rail.

It is the "Commercial" Rub Rail.
It is not something Shock boats has done to revise any type of rub rail. Again, it is just a Commercial Rub Rail and can be purchased for many models at any Boston Whaler dealer or the manufacturer itself.

You can buy either the regular rub rail or the Commercial rub rail.

If you can look in the Optional Price Lists, take a look at:
Commercial Duty Rub Rail Kit - #15-0965-00

The above part number will vary from model to model and the above is for an Outrage 18'...

Edited by Joe Kriz on 01/06/11 - 3:25 PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 13, 2024 - 2:21 PM
Users Online
Welcome
fernandoago
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,084
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 2.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,410,266 unique visits