View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
A couple of interior refinishing Questions 67 13'
wellsdw
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/06/10 - 11:48 AM

Comments: 0

My dad and i are in the process of restoring a 67 13 footer, as kind of a tribute to my grandfather. He actually had a 69 Stick steer 13' that is sitting covered up and being unused (however the guy wont sell it back).

I've stripped and sanded the previous owners spray paint????? off the interior and im down to the original gel coat which looks ok minus some spider cracks. I am open to any ideas on what to refinish the interior with, and im not at all hung up on getting it back original. (gel coat) i was leaning towards Tuff Coat with finer aggragate finish (supposedly like and orange peel) but has anyone try other options with success, like special marine paints or epoxy?

I am also upgrading to a teleflex system. I am building a new console now similar to a super sport layout. i am planning on moving the console forward 8-10 inch. What would be the cable length needed? I have seen a about a 2 foot difference in what people have used.

Blake Whitney
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/06/10 - 2:46 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

13s are very fun to bring back to life....check out my pp and you can see what can rise from the ashes.

there are many posts regarding tuff coat / bedliner type products. The true whalerheads will suggest against it and I support that attitude unless you just want to turn it into a workboat...

Moving the console forward is the only mod that I wish I had don...really improves the ride.

Good luck!

wellsdw
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/06/10 - 5:44 PM

I read your post on finding a trailer. It took me 6 months! Most everything i find was lightweight jon boat trailers. Finally stumbled across a galvanized Trailer for a 14 foot bayliner he couldn't get rid of, which was a boat the only briefly made. Long story short the guy evenly traded the trailer mine was on (trailer for a 18' bass boat) and yes my whaler looked ridiculous on that. thanks for the help

wfsiv
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/07/10 - 4:58 AM
Personal Page

Wellsdw,

I am working on a similar project and have decided to use a nonskid additive in the classic blue gelcoat. I got my gelcoat from Express Composites (good match) and I am getting ready to shoot a AwlGrip/Grip Tex additive on the last bit over the nonslip floor. The other parts will be smooth gelcoat. The temps have dropped but there are usually a few days of 70 degree weather her in NC; or I can figure out how to heat my garage.

I'll post my results on the personal pages.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 4:43 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Jgb333
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,103
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,517,519 unique visits