View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
deck fitting 17' Montauk
Brian Donahue
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/10 - 6:06 AM

Comments: 0

My "87 Montauk was dealer modified with a Pate 30 gallon tank. They altered the plastic boot which was used to seal the deck around the slot which was cut into the deck for the fuel hose. They cut away most of the boot to make way for a flush mount of the tank. This has allowed 24 years of water seepage into the deck. I am replacing the pate tank, and discovered this mess. Where can I buy a replacement plastic trim boot to seal this slot in my deck?

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/10 - 9:14 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

That part is no longer made. I don't think the wood (if there is some there) was sealed by the factory. Many of my fittings were not bedded in sealant.

You could seal the edges with epoxy and leave as is.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Tom W Clark
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/10 - 9:38 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

I thought the plastic part, called a Hawse Pipe, was still available from any Whaler dealer.

Phil is correct that the factory did not seal the edge of the deck when they cut the oval in the floor to the tunnel. The plywood backing was left exposed.

I'd seal it up with some penetrating epoxy.

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/10 - 10:20 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

If you download the Part Manual for the Montauk in our Downloads section, you will find the part number.
http://www.whalercentral.com/download...p?cat_id=3

Description:
Pipe, Hawse
Part #12216600

I would call Sue at Twin Cities Marine and see if they are still available.
You can find their link in the Sponsor section in the top right sidebar.

Brian Donahue
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/09/10 - 7:38 PM

Comments: 0

Thanks all,
It is called a hawse pipe, they no longer manufacture it in white. Chuck at Whaler told me they sell a black one manufactured for their commercial division. I also got introduced to Sue @ the Racine dealership. Chuck from Whaler referred me to her, she is quite a resource. She has already shipped me the black unit, only problem is, it is not made in the same dimensions as the trough they cut in my deck. My unit was really hacked by who ever did it. I've already made plans to seal the edges of the opening. I've restored a couple of old Lymans, and worked on some old Chris's, so I'm familiar with sealing the wood etc. One thing I am doing now is using some of the Dow foam sealant to fill some of the voids and openings before I close them with wood plugs and epoxy, followed by some gel coat. I have about 24-30 screw holes that have been placed in the deck over the years. Most of them are concentrated around the seat, and area where the old tank sat. There are also about 12-14 on the rear deck from battery boxes and an oil injector unit (after market installed). I have found that by leaving one hole open, and pumping foam in, any moisture etc. is forced through adjoining holes. Just don't get too happy with the foam, because it expands. I am also going to incorporate it in the process of sealing around the deck slot cut for access to the rigging tunnel before I glass those edges. The amount of moisture I am getting out of deck areas tells me I need to investigate the need to open the hull, and let water out. The decking has a plywood floor below the fiber glass. Wood left wet, even encased in glass will rot. Just ask any owners of Well Craft boats who found rotted stringers.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 6, 2024 - 4:46 AM
Users Online
Welcome
bblaqz
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,054
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,283,003 unique visits