View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
What modifications are acceptable to most people
Binkie
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/10 - 4:52 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I don`t think Whaler always got it right. Is my 13 footer on my personal page considered a Frankenwhaler? The 13 foot Whaler was deficient in many ways, but it always was the best 13 foot boat around.

Rich

HarleyFXDL
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/10 - 5:28 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

Rich, I think it looks fine. The changes you made are well within the "look" that most whaler fans desire. I think what is more important is the quality behind the changes.

Edited by HarleyFXDL on 11/05/10 - 5:29 PM
Kevin
1988 11' Super Sport, 1987 Johnson 15hp.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman."

thegage
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/10 - 5:47 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I'm more of a purist, finding it tough to even put a bimini top on a 13, but the beauty of the design is that you can do a lot to it with it still looking like it is within the realm of "factory." I do, however, draw the line at "center console" 13 conversions; that seems just plain wrong.

John K.

John Kittredge
1991 16 SL - 2013 E-TEC 90

ioptfm
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/10 - 6:45 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Personally I think that one should modify or build to suit their own desires and not be concerned with others. If you're building a boat to put on display for people to walk by and look at then keep it as pure and authentic as possible. If you're doing one so you can enjoy it as it was meant to be then pull out all the stops and do what you want. You did an absolute fantastic job of turning that piece of fiberglass into a thing of beauty and you should be proud of it. And guess what...........you can actually use it for your own pleasure. Ohmygosh, you could probably even put it in saltwater!

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

John Fyke
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/10 - 7:25 PM
Personal Page

I think any modification that will keep the boats value is acceptable.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

CES
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/10 - 9:35 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Do whatever you want to YOUR boat as it's YOURS. Binkie...your 13' is a fine example of a customized 13'. The wood work is fantastic, your paint is beautiful and it runs well. Honestly, if your boat makes you happy, who cares what others think about it's value and what should be done to it to maintain it's value. The true value is what is it worth to you.

You have a great looking boat, be proud of it man.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

Binkie
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/06/10 - 5:05 AM
Personal Page

The reason I started this thread was becuase on another thread a new member was wanting to get opinions on removing the deck on a Temptation, which maybe has never been done before, and was discouraged from doing so. Who knows how it would turn out, but I don`t see any great value in any old boat that would be considered for a major reconstruction. Boats, even Whalers, are not like classic or muscle cars that have great value, and should be kept as original as possible to keep that value. The main thing in any boat customizing is it should be done in a way so that it looks as if it was originally built that way from the factory. Looking different from other Whalers is not the point, and making money on the boat is not the object. I think the only way to make any money is to find a boat cheap that only needs to by cleaned up and detailed, and thats probably hard to do nowadays.
Just my opinion.

Rich

chrepp
#8 Print Post
Posted on 11/06/10 - 5:36 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

The two most frequent mods to a 13 are moving the weight forward and raising the console. ioptfm and CES are right on. Your 13 will always be one of the coolest and never a Frankenwhaler. I am only interested in keeping my 13 until it breaks, never selling it.

John Fyke
#9 Print Post
Posted on 11/06/10 - 6:22 AM
Personal Page

Binkie wrote:
The reason I started this thread was becuase on another thread a new member was wanting to get opinions on removing the deck on a Temptation, which maybe has never been done before, and was discouraged from doing so. Who knows how it would turn out, but I don`t see any great value in any old boat that would be considered for a major reconstruction. Boats, even Whalers, are not like classic or muscle cars that have great value, and should be kept as original as possible to keep that value. The main thing in any boat customizing is it should be done in a way so that it looks as if it was originally built that way from the factory. Looking different from other Whalers is not the point, and making money on the boat is not the object. I think the only way to make any money is to find a boat cheap that only needs to by cleaned up and detailed, and thats probably hard to do nowadays.
Just my opinion.

I read that thread and I believe to each his own. All the work involved in that temptation would be a labor of love and something to be proud of if done and when finished.

I have seen many boats and whalers, as I'm sure all of us have modified to the extent of an abortion. That is why I said "I think any modification that will keep the boats value is acceptable".

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

kamie
#10 Print Post
Posted on 11/06/10 - 3:41 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

there is a difference between taking one model whaler and turning it into another and making modifications to the configuration to make the boat more functional. In the temptation thread the person wants to take a temptation and rip it apart to make it an outrage. If you want an Outrage, then buy one, you will save a lot of time and money. Yes the basic hull is an outrage but all the top cap, not to mention getting a console and other parts, just really makes no sense. Unless the temptation was free and you had unlimited funds and time and the skills.

Marty Johns Isd SC
#11 Print Post
Posted on 11/06/10 - 4:14 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Binkie, I think your Whaler is great! You have customized it to your needs and it still has the classic look with all of that beautiful wood. If every Whaler looked the same we wouldn't need but one personal page for each type of whaler and that would be boring! Your customized Whaler is what makes Whaler Central so great. We can go look at everyone's modifications and get ideas of how we can do cool things to our Whalers too! I have looked at every 11', 13' 15', 17'Montauk, and most Outrage personal pages just to see what people have done. Maybe I am just bored, but I know I am not the only one who has done this.
You have a really cool Whaler!!!!

Marty Durham
1989 17' SS Limited

Marty Durham
1989 17' SS Limited

Phil T
#12 Print Post
Posted on 11/06/10 - 4:22 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I agree with Kamie. Well said.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Derwd24
#13 Print Post
Posted on 11/06/10 - 6:25 PM

Comments: 9

Marty Johns Isd SC wrote:
If every Whaler looked the same we wouldn't need but one personal page for each type of whaler and that would be boring!
Marty Durham
1989 17' SS Limited

Good point...

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

Guts
#14 Print Post
Posted on 11/06/10 - 10:04 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 8

So Binkie I made a modification to my Montauk 17 by Installing a thru hull transducer... some think I have taken from the value. What you say?

Guts/AKA/Kim

Ralph Iorio
#15 Print Post
Posted on 11/07/10 - 2:24 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Guts, funny you brought a thru-hull into the thread...I almost did that but the tech at Garmin told me to try the transom mount first because they are impoved. She was right...99% of the time I can read bottom contour in excess of 30 knots. Regarding the modifications comments, Binkie's boat looks great and I agree with all who say it's your boat, whatever feels good is OK. I'm about to replace my rub-rail and am going with a larger and more practical commercial type. It's not "stock" but neither is NASCAR, their technology is better and safer. Besides, has anyone looked at a new Montauk 17...for over $30K one would think they could at least put a splinter of teak on it...the backrest over the moulded plastic RPS is nothing more than a bent pipe...autrocious! Binkie's boat is a Mona Lisa in compaison. The only thing I did that I don't like is my bimini support...gonna lay it down.

1989 Montauk 17 w 1989 Johnson 90

zappaddles
#16 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/10 - 4:32 AM

Comments: 2

Beautiful job Binkie. If BW tried to compete with such custom touches they'd be out of business in a heart-beat. They have to make them for the masses to make a profit.

Bake
#17 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/10 - 5:49 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

I think mods that add style are fine. It will not usually add value but nothing shot of a new motor will. I love to add a little new with the old whaler and though it is defiantly whaler very few know what year it might be. My first whaler project was my little 15. I painted her with fighting lady yellow and I rarely take her out that people do not comment on the little beauty. Take for instance there are those who have built the side console and seat that Binkie built. One small difference is that they used plywood. that goes from awesome to unacceptable in a flash. If i ever get off my can and finish my low pro it will have a newer RPS (Whaler not Todd) and a winged console that has been cut in half and raised 4 inches. Talk about a bastardized boat I have one coming.

Tharsheblows
#18 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/10 - 3:41 PM
Personal Page

Binkie I think your boat is beautiful. And Kamie I agree. And now for my 2 cents worth. If you remember Dick Fisher added and changed the original many times to get it the way he wanted. In the process he invented the center console. I can see nothing that is aesthetically pleasing and functional that would be outside Whaler ethics . I was worried about putting a stainless destroyer wheel on mine. But I wanted something maintenance free and felt the wheel tied in well with the railings.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 6, 2024 - 5:02 PM
Users Online
Welcome
mackec1
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,057
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.24 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,291,500 unique visits