View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1981 Outrage Fuel Tank Dimensions
dustpan3
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/27/10 - 2:22 PM

Comments: 0

I have been search and reading but haven't been able to come up with the dimensions of the tank for my outrage. I can obviously measure the outside dimensions but can't get the depth, at least not accurate until I get the tank removed (have to figure out how to remove the water/gas from it first).

Does anyone have the dimensions of it?

Did they put belly tanks in or are they a flat rectangular style?

I called FMT but they told me I would have to provide the dimensions to them before they could quote me a price for a new one. They said that the data plate would have that info but as things would go my data plate is scuffed up and I can't read it expect for the 63 gal and manufactured in 1981.

Also any thoughts on using a poly type under deck fuel tank instead of the aluminum? I know Whaler used plastic in the early 80's and then abandoned the idea.

I have read that FMT and then also Raybo were two sources for replaced tanks, any suggestions on a source?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

tom blinstrub
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/28/10 - 5:26 AM
Personal Page

What model outrage ? How much fuel is left ? How long has the fuel been in the tank ? I would take the fuel hose off the connection at the engine and put that end over the transom as low as possible into a gas can. Try to use the primer bulb to get the fuel flowing into the gas can. run the fuel in your oldest car with some fuel conditioner. The fuel will have already gone through your boat water seperator on the way out of your boat. Over time hopefully you will go through the fuel 5 gals at a time.
There will be some fuel left as the pickup never goes completely to the bottom of the tank. Then take the tank out and measure it. The late 80's 18-25 foot outrages had tanks that had a v bottom not flat. If you have trouble getting the fuel to start flowing get one friend to block the vent ,another to prime the bulb and you will take a deep breath and blow into the fuel fill to put pressure in the tank which will help force the fuel to start siphoning ( I am not joking, it works for me when I drain my 26 gal plastic tank every year only the vent on that tank is in the gas cap so I don't need the extra people to help. Good luck.

dustpan3
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/28/10 - 6:46 PM

My boat is an 18 foot 1981 Outrage, which I just bought on Monday and brought home.

The person I bought it from said he was having problems with the engine running right a couple of years ago so he took the boat to his mechanic which quickly found the cause to be from water in the fuel tank. So instead of fixing the fuel tank problem he just started using an above deck fuel tank.

I took the deck up yesterday in preparation of removing the tank. What I found under the deck was that the hoses were completely rotted and the fuel gauge gasket was deteriorated and the gauge itself was broken off.

How much fuel is left in the tank - good question (I said that with a laugh).

When I stepped on the tank water shot out of the side of the gauge where the gasket was rotted. So who knows how much gas is in the tank - I can say that the tank was full to the top with at least water.

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/28/10 - 8:13 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

There is a chance the tank is fine and the water was due to the fittings.

Pull the tank and have it pressure tested to 3 psi.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

whalerman
#5 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/10 - 10:45 AM

Comments: 5

Yes, pull it out and check the tank thoroughly, they are rather expensive to replace. Good luck with your project and keep us posted as to your progress; pics maybe??

THOM : 1999 Outrage 18, 2012 E-TEC 150, 2012 EZ Loader trailer

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 2, 2024 - 8:51 PM
Users Online
Welcome
3dhomer
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,044
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,227,659 unique visits