View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1978 montauk console
timt1
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/26/10 - 1:27 PM

Comments: 0

I have a 1978 montauk wit the original console and have seen photos of this console's entire angled face covered with a black color.Mine has been peeled off I guess,as it is all bare gelcoat except under the wood instrument panels anad morse contrlol...etc. Can anyone suggest a replacement for this ? A marine product able to withstand time and weather ? Thanks........Tim

bmw90w
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/26/10 - 1:52 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

1/4 inch black starboard. Check my page for results

1984 Montauk

Finnegan
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/26/10 - 11:19 PM

Comments: 16

No, I disagree. You want that cheap art store/sign shop black vinyl, or even better, shelf liner. It's not too tough, but will look MUCH better than the original fake leather grain stuff Whaler used. All of that eventually peels off. To install it, you will have to remove the steering and engine control from the face of the console, besides the instrument panels. This is also a good time to fill in any unwanted holes in the console with plywood filler pieces, covered on top and bottom surface by Evercoat #27 polyester resin. Once sanded smooth, the black vinyl will then cover it all up for a brand new look. It may last a few years if you're lucky before it starts to wrinkle and peel.

Edited by Finnegan on 10/27/10 - 9:52 PM

timt1
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/27/10 - 1:00 PM

Thanks for the ideas .

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 10/27/10 - 1:09 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Here's another idea...
Don't put anything back on.

I took mine off on all of my Whalers that had the damaged material.
I think it looks great without it.

Here's my Outrage 18' with the material removed.
http://users.sisqtel.net/jkriz/Outrag...onsole.jpg

And here is my prior Montauk with the material removed.
http://users.sisqtel.net/jkriz/Montau...onsole.jpg

Whatever Floats Your Boat....

Edited by Joe Kriz on 10/27/10 - 1:11 PM

dreilly
#6 Print Post
Posted on 10/27/10 - 2:18 PM
Personal Page

I also went the starboard route. Clean look and it stiffened the helm.

Tom W Clark
#7 Print Post
Posted on 10/27/10 - 3:35 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Yes, there are lots of solutions to the old peeling Mat-Tac that Whaler used.

Cleaned and polished gel coat, teak plywood, solid teak, StarBoard (in various colors and thicknesses), aluminum plate and polished stainless steel have all been used as substitutes for the original finish.

Hell, I suppose diamond patterned carbon fiber adhesive vinyl could even be used, though it certainly would not be my choice.

But I like my Whalers the way Whaler made them. The easiest thing to do is just get some sign-grade self adhesive vinyl in matte or satin black and apply it to the console face. 3M makes a very durable product and any good sign shop can supply you with a yard of it for $10 or less.

bmw90w
#8 Print Post
Posted on 10/27/10 - 5:53 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

That is the cool thing about this site, because you can see a little of everything on the same type of boat you have! Definitely a personal choice. Mine was cracked and peeling, and I wanted something that wouldn't be affected by the weather (even though she lives in my garage and my car lives outside lol). I would decide what type/how many gauges you want as well as accessories. My dash was already cut out in rectangles on each side, so I needed something to cover all of it. I did mine in one piece, and it did stiffen things up quite nicely.

1984 Montauk

Jeff
#9 Print Post
Posted on 10/27/10 - 6:50 PM

Comments: 34

Carbon fiber Vinyl Larry? We are talking Whalers not Yamaha Jet boats nor Honda Civics here.

Actually I would recommend looking for a product called Sintra. Any sign making shop will have it and be able to cut it to the size you need. If you can not find it there you can buy 4x8 sheets of it for under $50 online, or check at a good local plastics supplier. You want the 2mm thinkness. One side is smooth and the other has a semi matte finish. This product is made to be outside and is UV stabilized. It will look great for a long time and not wrinkle, peel or fade. I would cut it to size and glue it onto the surface of the console and re-cut all your holes.

http://www.graphicdisplayusa.com/prod...rod_Sintra

If you want to replace the actual Whaler Mat-Tac Wolf's in Benton Harbor Michigan has a bunch of NOS Rolls of it. You have to go there in person to get it though. Once there you have to know where it is stuffed in the Warehouse of chaos. It's there and I have seen it...I kick myself for not picking it up last time I was there.

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Tom W Clark
#10 Print Post
Posted on 10/27/10 - 8:02 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Larry -- You should try that milled aluminum dash panel material they used on the 1979 Pontiac Trans Am. That would be sweet on one of your boats!

A Little Madness
#11 Print Post
Posted on 10/28/10 - 8:35 AM
Personal Page

Larry,
We used the black starboard after re-glassing the console which made for a very strong product, and most importantly, it allows you to reconfigure the dash, placing your gages, vhf, etc., where you want. Take a look at our personal page as there's several pictures of the process & end result. We love it. Good Luck!

Chris & Dale Schnell
"A Little Madness" - 1989 Montauk 17'

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 3, 2024 - 12:35 AM
Users Online
Welcome
3dhomer
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,044
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,230,996 unique visits