View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
67 Sakonnet center console
markvm
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/22/10 - 5:39 AM

Comments: 0

I just got a Sakonnet and am planning some maintenance work. Has anyone ever bought the replacement center console and/or RPS from specialty marine? I would love to know people's opinion on the quality. The original is in fine shape and I could refinish it, but considering the man hours I would need to do it properly (a complete disassemble would be required), it m,ay make more sense for me to buy new. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark

1967 Sakonnet w/ 1964 Merc 1000s

Gamalot
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/23/10 - 7:43 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Just my opinion here Mark. I cannot comment on the quality of new manufactured parts from either of our sponsors who make them.

If you have the original and it is in restore able condition I would always opt to keep all the original parts that came with the boat. For many here, the hours spent on restoration are well worth it in the end. Purists will always judge value in strict accordance with originality. I am sure if you do replace with new parts there will be someone here who would love to have what you remove if it is in good condition.

Gary

markvm
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/25/10 - 8:32 AM

Thanks Gary, i appreciate your advice. I am going to dig into this console a bit and if it's not to tough to restore i'll do it. If it's beyond me I will put it up for grabs in the classifieds.

Thanks again,

Mark

nauset-heir
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/26/10 - 5:33 AM

Mark,
I have two restore projects going presently. the first, a 1968 Nauset is now finished and re-powered. I got the consol and RPS from Nautical Lumber and it is top quality Mahogany.
The second is a 65 Sakonet whose wood was just beyond salvageable so,again, I ordered the wood from Mike at Nautical lumber and am just biding my time at work(currently on the road in Az) till I can get back to Mi and start the project. Purist aside, if you can't restore what you have , check out both sponsers listed here...you can't go wrong or find better kits.

Gamalot
#5 Print Post
Posted on 10/26/10 - 6:10 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

nauset-heir wrote:
Mark,
I have two restore projects going presently. the first, a 1968 Nauset is now finished and re-powered. I got the consol and RPS from Nautical Lumber and it is top quality Mahogany.
The second is a 65 Sakonet whose wood was just beyond salvageable so,again, I ordered the wood from Mike at Nautical lumber and am just biding my time at work(currently on the road in Az) till I can get back to Mi and start the project. Purist aside, if you can't restore what you have , check out both sponsers listed here...you can't go wrong or find better kits.

I may have said it wrong! I have never seen the nautical lumber kit up close but I sure have seen them here in pictures and they look fabulous and get rave reviews. My point was simply that the original parts, if restore able, will go a long way toward the originality of the boat.

It will all depend upon the condition of what is there and the level of woodworking/refinishing skills one has. Being a carpenter/cabinetmaker with a shop full of tools, wood does not scare me. Fiberglass and Gel Coat on the other hand do strike a bit of fear.

If some sanding and refinishing can bring what you have back to life then go for it. If there is considerable rot and re-engineering of wood parts necessary then leave that to those who have the tools and skills. The major point being don't just toss out what you replace! There are members right here looking for the original parts who would be heart broken to see them used as kindling. We do have a diversified group of members and one mans junk may very well be another s treasure. The one thing Nautical Lumber can't do is to make a new interior look like it is 42 years old and in well preserved shape for it's age with the correct patina and natural weathering the purists drool over!

markvm
#6 Print Post
Posted on 10/28/10 - 5:58 AM

Thanks guys, I get it. If I can handle it myself I will and if not I'm buying new and offering the old to the group on this site. I'm happy to hear that Nautical Lumber has high quality products. If I do end up replacing I would want it to be perfect.

Thanks again,

Mark

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 28, 2024 - 8:08 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Liberty1976
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,029
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,137,794 unique visits