View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Epoxy Paint
dsutley
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/13/10 - 8:16 PM

Comments: 1

I have chosen to use a high quality Epoxy paint for the finish coating on the '74 13' sport I am restoring. I chose that for financial reasons mainly since my brother-in law was able to get me the product for free. My question is how well can you sand, buff, and polish the epoxy paint after it gets fully cured/hard? I am doing the inside and outside of the hull. Does it handle similar to gel coat, ie; use very fine (1000-1500 grit) sanding, wet sanding, buffing and polishing.

Thanks for your comments.

zappaddles
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/14/10 - 5:32 AM

Comments: 2

I use West system epoxy on the custom canoe paddles I make and can bring them to a high gloss with a wool buffing pad an 1200 grit equivelant rubbing compound. You might want to check into the UV resistance of the epoxy paint you'll be using.

John Fyke
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/14/10 - 5:37 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I would highly suggest you DON'T use epoxy paint as a top-coat. There are no UV inhibitors in epoxy. Epoxy top-coats will change color, chalk out and get brittle. Epoxy paint is very thick like gelcoat and need special equipment to spray. It goes on very peely. As a bottom paint you are fine but I suggest you use something different for the top sides.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

Bake
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/14/10 - 10:41 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

all two part paints are not epoxy as some think. Make sure you know what you are working with before you get to far along with the project.

Binkie
#5 Print Post
Posted on 10/14/10 - 7:15 PM
Personal Page

What is the brand name of your epoxy paint.

Rich

dsutley
#6 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/10 - 7:25 AM

It is a Mobile BLP product. My Brother in law is the paint chemist for this company here locally in Mobile, AL. They have a history of great marine paint products specially their Jack Tar Spar Varnish and marine enamels. He told me that there were UV issues, but that there was not much difference in what is encountered with Gelcoats chalking. He said that if it is kept covered or in a boat house, the issues would be insignificant. I guess time will tell there. I used it in the cockpit of a 17 Montauk about 15 years ago. I painted only the pibbed slip proof part of the deck and it worked great for years, but that is not a smooth surface like I will be doing this time. I just don't want it to look painted, so I am hoping that when I buff it out, it will have the luster expected, rather than a sticky glossy paint job. I appreciate your comments.

dsutley
#7 Print Post
Posted on 10/15/10 - 7:26 AM

dsutley wrote:
It is a Mobile BLP product. My Brother in law is the paint chemist for this company here locally in Mobile, AL. They have a history of great marine paint products specially their Jack Tar Spar Varnish and marine enamels. He told me that there were UV issues, but that there was not much difference in what is encountered with Gelcoats chalking. He said that if it is kept covered or in a boat house, the issues would be insignificant. I guess time will tell there. I used it in the cockpit of a 17 Montauk about 15 years ago. I painted only the pibbed slip proof part of the deck and it worked great for years, but that is not a smooth surface like I will be doing this time. I just don't want it to look painted, so I am hoping that when I buff it out, it will have the luster expected, rather than a sticky glossy paint job. I appreciate your comments.

Binkie, Sorry, I forgot to add this.. It is definitely an epoxy product.

coastaloutfitters
#8 Print Post
Posted on 10/26/10 - 10:19 AM
Personal Page

look on the Interlux website , good stuff

whaler 27

Tharsheblows
#9 Print Post
Posted on 10/26/10 - 11:14 AM
Personal Page

I was in construction for many years and Mobile B L P was used quite a lot around the New Orleans area. Allthough it is comparing apples to oranges (land structures to marine) it was a good paint. We use to give the local Rep. a hard time by telling him that B L P stood for blister lap & peel LOL.

dsutley
#10 Print Post
Posted on 10/27/10 - 2:13 PM

Well I got what I got. The BLP Epoxy actually stays relatively flexible. I talked with the Chemist (my brother-in-law )and he agreed about the UV issues but said that it wasn't any worse than typical gelcoats. It does not compete with Urethanes, but still as good as gelcoats. He also said if I wanted more of an automotive finish, I could top coat it with their urethane product called Mo-thane.

Anyway my question now is has anyone tried to spray a similar product with the follow type or similar equipment. This paint spraying is new territory for me. I have the following:

2 HP compressor with 26 gal tank rated at 6.1 cfm @ 40 psi
HVLP gun with 1.4 tip and 6.1 flow requirments at 40 @ psi.
Inlet pressure rated for 30-40 psi

With the line pressure set on 55 psi, I trigger the gun and have 40 psi on the line while spraying.

I have tested the gun and it takes between 5-10 min to bleed down close to the 40 psi if I hold it on continuous spray.
The boat as you will remember is a small 13' whaler and I can nearly empty the cup before it bleeds too low and if I am spraying intermittently like I will be doing should I have a problem? An suggestions for gun / compressor settings would be greatly appreciated. We expect good low humidity this weekend for painting.

zappaddles
#11 Print Post
Posted on 10/27/10 - 3:17 PM

Comments: 2

You might want to look at the pressure pot gun from Harbor Freight ($40). It's the one with the black handle, model 93312 I think. If this one has too big a tip look at the one with the green handle, I don't know the model number. My compressor is about the size of yours and did the job.

modenacart
#12 Print Post
Posted on 10/28/10 - 4:46 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

You can get five gallons of mixed gel coat for $250 dollars shipped. Gel coat doesn't have to be expensive.

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

Gamalot
#13 Print Post
Posted on 10/29/10 - 2:01 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

If it is any consolation here! I saw a boat today that was re gel coated over the old gel coat with just a surface sanding before re coating. He did not bother with sanding out the spider webs and instead tried filling them with some kind of filler.

Don't bother trying this technique. It looks worse now than it did with the real spider webs. I think the Gel Coat reacted with his filler and made a complete mess of the entire botched job. It does look pretty cool being "Halloween".

dsutley
#14 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/10 - 8:02 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I put the second coat of epoxy paint on this weekend and it looks great! The inside cockpit is gonna be tough with all the spider cracks. Check out the pic below. Tough to tell much in the pic, but the finish looks very natural.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dsutley/W...5711227554

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 3, 2024 - 7:09 AM
Users Online
Welcome
3dhomer
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,044
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,237,032 unique visits