View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
In between Gelcoat coats.
wfsiv
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/03/10 - 5:33 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Yesterday I sprayed 1 gallon of Gelcoat with wax additive (Gelcoat Plus from LBI) but I had to stop, I didn't have time to get the second gallon on. Todays a rain day and the next opportunity that I will have to spray again will be the weekend.

I have a question for you guys. Since my 1st gallon is fully cured, should I sand it a little before I apply the next stage. I thought I would lightly hit it with about 100 grit opposed to the 400 as I a friend of mine gave a little lecture about chemical bonds vs mechanical bonds.

What do you think. Your advice is appreciated. My boat looks the best it has in over 10 years, but I still have a lot of work to do.

billy

modenacart
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/03/10 - 6:58 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

Yes, hit it with sand paper, I think 100 girt will be fine.

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

modenacart
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/03/10 - 7:01 AM
Personal Page

I don't know how you prepped your surface, but I used a board sander and got really flat surfaces. Only problem is, if you didn't board sand when you prepped, you may end up chasing low spots and sanding through. Also, be sure to calculate how much gel coat you need to spray, don't rely on what people tell you. If I could go back and respray the bottom of my boat, I would have sprayed about 40 mils, not 30, because I sanded through in a few places and its a pain going back and putting more on.

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

wfsiv
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/03/10 - 9:28 AM
Personal Page

Modenacart,

Yes, I agree with you about chasing the low spots. Here is my plan. I planned on putting on 2 gals but I have an extra gallon on reserve. I feel that my prep work was not superb. I used surfacing putty then put on about 10 mils of primer and could still see the valleys. Each coat of Gelcoat fills the gap but there is still a gap nonetheless. My plan is to spray another gallon Saturday and part of the last gallon on Sunday (weather permitting). @ 20 mils covering 20sf per quart for my 13' exterior hull (120 sf I think) 2.5 Gallons should get me near 36-37 mils of gel coat plus the 10 mils of primer. Lets call it 35 mils of gelcoat after the waste (apparently I am sloppy).

Hopefully I will be able to take it down to an even surface; I don't want that stuff too thick and I want to stop sparying soon.

I am spraying about 5 Coats to the gallon so I think I am putting on a little more than 2 mils per coating. Probably have 10 mils on right now after one gallon. I feel pretty good that I will have less waste and better flow with my shooting technique on the next batches.

Thanks for responding.

wezie
#5 Print Post
Posted on 10/03/10 - 4:04 PM

The wax seals the gel coat so that it will cure.
It rises to the surface to do this.
So, if you have not done so, you need to remove the wax with a cleaner (acetone, etc.....) before you sand. Interlux makes oa cleaner.
I would go over the surface twice using paper towels or clean rags with a lifting motion. Use a lot of rags/towels.
After it is clean-clean, you can sand.
Sounds like you are making a lot of progress.

Good Luck!

zappaddles
#6 Print Post
Posted on 10/04/10 - 4:06 AM

Comments: 2

wsiv I'm glad to know there's another Whaler brother out there plugging away at the same tedious task as I. While re-gelcoating the 1970 17' Whaler I've found that gelcoat is 100% unforgiving of any mistake or shortcoming. Case in point: Yesterday, after having acetone washed prior to the final coat. the sand paper clogged terribly. I had to wash all over again because I had not been thorough enough. My point is this: Wash the heck out of the gelcoat before you sand prior to your next coat. Any residual wax will be ground into the gelcoat with disasterous consequences. One possible test that could be done is to, prior to scuff sanding with 100-150 grit, spot sand with 220-320 grit to see if gelcoat dust comes off of the disc/paper or if it clogs. If it clogs wash again. If it doesn't clog you're probably ready to scuff sand.

If you're going back to original interior color: Where did you get the gelcoat and what color/product number and manufacturer did you use?

Blackduck
#7 Print Post
Posted on 10/04/10 - 11:21 AM
Personal Page

Yes, use wax in the final coat only. Now you must sand and remove any wax. I also would wipe down with styrene, as this will reactivate the gel coat to allow for some chemical bond, as gel coat does not bond that well mechanically.

Walter Reynolds
1973 Boston Whaler 16 Nauset 90 HP Yamaha

modenacart
#8 Print Post
Posted on 10/04/10 - 12:41 PM
Personal Page

Is there any proof that rubbing with styrene reactivates the gel coat? This doesn't seem to make any sense.

--Benjamin Franklin

Blackduck
#9 Print Post
Posted on 10/04/10 - 12:53 PM
Personal Page

With gel coat that is only a week old, you will be able to feel that the surface has been softened. I assume the older the gel coat, the less affective it will be a promoting a good bond.

Walter Reynolds
1973 Boston Whaler 16 Nauset 90 HP Yamaha

modenacart
#10 Print Post
Posted on 10/04/10 - 5:05 PM
Personal Page

I think styrene is an old wives tale. Spectrum does not recommend rubbing an area with styrene when making a repair. They are recommending not using styrene at all with their gel coat.

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/technica...alinfo.htm

--Benjamin Franklin

ritzyrags
#11 Print Post
Posted on 10/04/10 - 7:08 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 36

Billy,

Check the few references from my work.
You may find a few details that may apply to your work in progress,
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...hoto_id=99
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...owstart=40
Spraying gel was found to be careful but rewarding work.
Sanding will follow in careful sessions.
Good Luck on your project.

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

modenacart
#12 Print Post
Posted on 10/05/10 - 10:31 AM
Personal Page

using a guide coat on 320 grit or less is very helpful too, just don't chase low spots too far.

--Benjamin Franklin

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 3, 2024 - 7:40 AM
Users Online
Welcome
3dhomer
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,044
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,237,445 unique visits