View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Not Too Smart
egerrity
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/10 - 9:29 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Great video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YCWvk...YCWvkFxTuk

Edited by Tom W Clark on 09/18/10 - 8:34 AM

CES
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/10 - 10:10 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

At least the guy was in a Whaler!! The one thing that should be noted here is that even though a Whaler won't sink, it'll still flip over!!

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

HarleyFXDL
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/10 - 11:38 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

Yep Cliff, you are right there. That guy should have his head examined. No need to put yourself at risk. Just think if the boat did flip over, not just his life, but the lives of the rescue workers would be at risk.

Kevin
1988 11' Super Sport, 1987 Johnson 15hp.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman."

Guts
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/10 - 12:33 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 8

I seen people trying to ride waves (surf) in mission bay entrance here in San Diego. What complete morons! why would some on want Broach there boat? answer... they don't know that the word means.

Guts/AKA/Kim

Barryg
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/10 - 1:36 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

You guys must have forgot how it feels to be young and foolish. Remember when you were invincible. I think I have a pic of Mr. Clark catching some nice air in an Outrage. Anyway the guy needs to watch this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDhwlomKUyM

MW
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/10 - 2:35 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I like the other video (Belmar-shark river inlet boater and police hurricane Earl) of him with the cop on the beach terminating his voyage, LOL ! I think that the "POLICE" wanted a little chat w/him, and it was'nt going to be "Good'.

Matt

CES
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/10 - 3:03 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

I agree with Barry. When I was 16 years old and had a 20' bow rider with an I/O, we used to do the same stupid thing at the Lighthouse point and Boca Raton inlets in South Florida. I wouldn't do it nowadays but it sure was fun back then.

Of course I'm much smarter now, ahem. Lol

Edited by CES on 09/18/10 - 7:55 AM
Cliff

Binkie
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/10 - 3:38 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Ho Hum boring, I was hoping to see him broach and roll over or take a breaker over the stern. I enjoy seeing stupid people doing stupid things pay for it.

Rich

DWinter
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/10 - 3:53 PM
Personal Page

I've been lucky enough to have test driven/op checked almost every model of whalers in all types of conditions and the closest I've ever got to flipping or blowing one over was a 27 outrage with twin 225 Verados at 45+mph in a 3-4 foot Chesapeake bay chop. I was basically running close to WOT going from wave top to wave top when I caught one wrong and sent it rather hi in the air at a not so comfortable angle. I landed hard and slammed my thigh into the safety lanyard switch on the helm which produced a purple square on my leg that lasted for 2 weeks. Did I mention I was only wearing socks because the boat had just been detailed for delivery and socks on gelcoat do not maintain traction very well. Believe it or not, it's harder to flip one than you may think. And I'm grateful for that fact. Now, broaching one, like I expected to happen to the guy in the video, is much easier.
I miss that job. You gotta love it when your boss tells you to take a brand new Outrage and "run it like you stole it" to be sure nothing comes apart. BTW, nothing did. Gotta love that Whaler construction. Like the old Porsche commercials said, There is no substitute.

Edited by DWinter on 09/17/10 - 3:58 PM
Duane G Winter
1984 BW Sport 15 Center Console

kamie
#10 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/10 - 7:53 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

is the dude any crazier than the person in the PWC?

joninnj
#11 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/10 - 8:43 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

kamie wrote:
is the dude any crazier than the person in the PWC?

Kamie, I would say yes because the PWC is designed to flip...:-) Not a 15 or 17 whaler. This was no doubt a dumb move even for someone wanting to make Jack Ass movie. And they had a helpless dog on board... and not wearing a life jacket.

I have been at this inlet many times and never saw rough water it like that.

Edited by joninnj on 09/17/10 - 8:47 PM
Jon in NJ
Many other boats and outboards in my boating history
The Whaler is the one I like the best!!!

DownTonset
#12 Print Post
Posted on 09/18/10 - 3:44 AM
Personal Page

What's not smart about it?
It looks to me like this guy is just trying to familiarize himself with his surroundings, and he seems to know exactly what he's doing. He is not attempting anything dangerous or goofy, and he looks to be in complete control of the situation. There's nothing stupid about practicing ways to handle new marine environments.
Deep-channel inlets aren't particularly scary if one has even a modicum of experience.

Edited by DownTonset on 09/18/10 - 4:02 AM
1984 Montauk--1984 Evinrude 90

JohnnyCW
#13 Print Post
Posted on 09/18/10 - 6:59 AM

Seems like he was handling things pretty well in the boat. As mentioned, I've been guilty of doing similar activities in my younger days. Now, try that same maneuvering over the bars on the outside of the inlet... thats stupid.

I've seen (and rescued) folks doing dumber stuff on clear calm days like pulling each other at 50+ mph on tubes.

As far as the PWC, they're a common site around Florida at the inlets when the wind-blown swells role in from passing Hurricanes. The biggest problem we've had is the PWC's crashing into each other in the limited visibility conditions when they lose each other in such high swells.

wezie
#14 Print Post
Posted on 09/18/10 - 2:09 PM

When the gubermunt takes over all responsibility for your safety, they will tell you when to breathe, and how deeply.
From the video, this person is doing well and learning a lot of his abilities and that of the boat. Notice, there is very little tide rip. The waves are quite manageable.
There is one issue of judgement that I would question; when the crowd collected, the operator should have known one of the good people would object. After all, "that person is having fun".
The boat driver should have left then; or he could have just reported his boat stolen and known the cops wouldn't have any interest; there is no profit in that call.
The fall back for the cops is to issue citations; there is profit is that.

CES
#15 Print Post
Posted on 09/18/10 - 6:03 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

wezie wrote:
When the gubermunt takes over all responsibility for your safety, they will tell you when to breathe, and how deeply.
From the video, this person is doing well and learning a lot of his abilities and that of the boat. Notice, there is very little tide rip. The waves are quite manageable.
There is one issue of judgement that I would question; when the crowd collected, the operator should have known one of the good people would object. After all, "that person is having fun".
The boat driver should have left then; or he could have just reported his boat stolen and known the cops wouldn't have any interest; there is no profit in that call.
The fall back for the cops is to issue citations; there is profit is that.

I'm with ya 100% wezie!!

Cliff

JohnnyCW
#16 Print Post
Posted on 09/18/10 - 6:53 PM

As long as one's own choices don't have any detrimental effect on others, I'm with wezie and CES.

However, say the guy did broach his vessel and ended up clinging to a marker in the inlet. Somebody has to go save his arse and that puts others in danger. Not to mention fact he was playing around in navigable channel. Obviously he wasn't by himself out there as there was at least one PWC and likely others outside the inlet that will eventually come in. Maneuvering like that there in those conditions is a good way to cause a collision.

Mike-Conover
#17 Print Post
Posted on 09/19/10 - 6:22 AM

Must confess that in my 'youth' I used to sneak off with Dad's 21 foot North American and roar out the Manasquan inlet. The 'thrill' was to get the boat airborne as we broke out into the ocean across the swells at the mouth of the inlet.

In hindsight... crazy. Then... what a rush!

flippa
#18 Print Post
Posted on 09/19/10 - 1:31 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I agree with weezie on this too.

It's not like the guy is hot dogging & getting the boat out of the water. He is in complete control.

I enjoy surfing the waves myself; it is fun. Plus it's real important to know how to deal with the waves & how the boat peforms in it.

I question whether he should have his dog on board. I'm sure the dog isn't having a good time.

John Fyke
#19 Print Post
Posted on 09/19/10 - 6:53 PM
Personal Page

I would do it any day of the week by myself. I have a shepherd that loves the water and the boat and even wears a life jacket but I wouldn't do it with him aboard.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

msd58
#20 Print Post
Posted on 09/19/10 - 7:52 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 9

Looks like a 17' to me

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 6, 2024 - 12:17 AM
Users Online
Welcome
mthimineur
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,053
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.24 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,280,048 unique visits